Network ?, Getting the most out if it
I am currently running the latest XBMC build with an ATV2. I have been having some buffering issues, have read the thread on this. I just want to make sure I am getting the BEST network connection I can get...without wasting money on things I don't need to upgrade.

My internet connection is what it is...Road Runner 7Mbps. So my connection is like this

RoadRunner 7Mbps > Grandstream PhonePower router 10/100 > Netgear MR814v2 10/100 > Edimax Wireless AP 802.11 a/b

My NAS is 10/100/1000, the ATV2 LAN is 10/100, but it does have 802.11n

SO..my limiting factors for network speed between the NAS is my Netgear MR814v2 and Edimax AP....it appears I can get some more speed by replacing the Netgear and Edimax AP as the wireless N would theoretically be 300Mbps.....is it worth replacing? Will I gain that much speed?
You don't list how you're ATV2 and NAS are connected to the network. I'm assuming the NAS is hardwired, but to what device?

Also, I'm unsure what all your devices are and why you need them. I can't find any information on the Grandstream. Is this a modem or a modem/router combo? If it's a router, what is the purpose of the Netgear router?

Basically, to help we need to know exactly how everything in your network is connected (wired or wireless, which device is it connected to) and what functions the Grandstream provide. I'm thinking you have devices in use that are unneeded and possibly causing issues.
Sorry...
I drew a diagram below...looks like to gain ANYTHING I would have to change out the Netgear for a 10/100/1000, the Wireless AP for a 802.11N and let the ATV go wireless to use 802.11N...Is it worth it though and would I gain enough speed to make a difference...

Ok, that all makes sense now. As long as all those devices are running at 100mb/s, you shouldn't have any trouble streaming from your NAS to the ATV2. I have a gigabit network here, but for the time being my ATV2 and NAS are connected through a 100 megabit switch and anything I want plays fine on the ATV2. 100 mb/s is more than plenty to handle any video you will have.
Thanks I will leave as is now. In the diagram the ATv is actually connected to the switch
Why is the NAS not connected to the switch?
Everything on the first line is upstairs on one side of the house. The second row is all downstairs on the opposite side of the house. I ran a cat5e run from one side to the other so I could have a switch that allows the tv,xbox,wii,bluray etc to the network

I could put the nas downstairs but that area is already pulling a lot of juice and upstairs it is behind the desk hidden and out of the way
Staying on wired 100Mbps is probably a better option than trying to go to wireless anything. While wireless-N may theoretically have more bandwidth, you won't be able to make use of it and in reality it doesn't usually run at it's max. You may even get less than 100Mbps out of it.

Also wireless is less reliable and has higher/more variable latency which is going to hurt you more than just sticking to a <1ms wired connection.
Dude no offense, but that is a horrible setup.

In order to get any better throughput, you're going to have to upgrade all those 10/100 devices to 10/100/1000.

Also, your AP only does A/B?! Seriously, that's only a MAX THEORETICAL throughput of 11Mbps. You really really need to get G or N.
Yeah...I know. My setup is kinda boxed in though as my main systems are upstairs with my internet connection going up there and the router connecting everything. I was originally using wireless downstairs, but it SUCKED as there are too many walls and too much distance between upstairs and where my entertainment center is. I had to do a cat5 run from upstairs thru the attic and down the wall to get a wired connection to the entertainment center area...which was a PAIN as I had to cut a hole in the wall to do it...should have seen the face on my wife when I was opening the sheetrock with the saw...LOL...LUCKILY I did this because I would have NEVER imagined the needed network connections for my entertainment center....TV, DirecTV, XBox360, Wii, BluRay, ATV2 and AP....If I add anything else I'm going to have to upgrade the switch! Course some of that can be wireless...but I prefer wired when I can do it.

The Netgear router has served me well in the past...but its OLD equipment! The AP was a quick fix to another AP that burned out and I just never cared to upgrade it. My plans are to over the next few months grab a new used router and AP...The only thing I cannot upgrade to 1000 is the ATV2...the Grandstream is irrelevant. Thanks for the replies and suggestions!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Network ?, Getting the most out if it0