• 5(current)
[LINUX] HOW-TO use VAAPI HW Acceleration on new Intel Sandy Bridge platform
LeonM Wrote:
Code:
[   280.883] (EE) intel(0): Detected a hung GPU, disabling acceleration.

Is there anything I can do about that? Or is this just a matter of waiting until the drivers get better?

You can also check your dmesg. I had some gpu hung lines sometimes. Rebooting mostly solved the problem. Also installing the latest 2.6.39-rc1 kernel seems to solve it.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
alanwww1 Wrote:You can also check your dmesg. I had some gpu hung lines sometimes. Rebooting mostly solved the problem. Also installing the latest 2.6.39-rc1 kernel seems to solve it.

Thanks for the reply Smile Rebooting won't solve my problem, as it happend every time upon boot.

I did notice the following in the dmesg:
Code:
[    3.468362] i915 0000:00:02.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16
[    3.468366] i915 0000:00:02.0: setting latency timer to 64
[    3.546226] mtrr: type mismatch for c0000000,10000000 old: write-back new: write-combining
[    3.546229] [drm] MTRR allocation failed.  Graphics performance may suffer.
[    3.546774] i915 0000:00:02.0: irq 45 for MSI/MSI-X
[    3.546780] [drm] Supports vblank timestamp caching Rev 1 (10.10.2010).
[    3.546782] [drm] Driver supports precise vblank timestamp query.

I'll have to check on that.

Right now I am using the stock natty kernel (2.6.38-7 x86_64), so I am trying to build the mainline 2.6.39-rc1 kernel, but I'm running into build problems with some drivers.

I will report back as soon as I get the mainline kernel build.
LeonM Wrote:Right now I am using the stock natty kernel (2.6.38-7 x86_64), so I am trying to build the mainline 2.6.39-rc1 kernel, but I'm running into build problems with some drivers.

I will report back as soon as I get the mainline kernel build.

Try the ubuntu prebuilt packages:

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/daily/
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
alanwww1 Wrote:Try the ubuntu prebuilt packages:

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/daily/

Wow... now I feel really stupid for not knowing that... I spent the whole night configuring and building my own...

Anyway, both the prebuild packages and my own build 2.6.39-RC1 don't solve the problem, the GPU still hangs right after XBMC starts...

Any other suggestions?

edit:
Just ran apt-get update, which installed an updated libdrm, libmesa and xorg, and now XBMC runs! I can't believe it, it actually works!!.... well.... almost, as soon as I start video playback XBMC crashes and restarts.
But at least I am getting there!

P.S. I'm not really familiar with the apt system, can I somehow add the mainline kernel to apt, so it automatically installs the latest version when I run apt-get upgrade?
LeonM Wrote:P.S. I'm not really familiar with the apt system, can I somehow add the mainline kernel to apt, so it automatically installs the latest version when I run apt-get upgrade?

Normally yes if you add a ppa with add-apt-repository (like we do with the xorg edgers ppa), but in this case these kernel builds are just regular deb packages which are absolutely not supported or stable so there is no way for an automatic update. You just have to download the latest package and install it. with sudo dpkg -i *
Hi Alan,

I guess this ticket needs a little of your input: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/9120

TIA

// EDIT: Seems to be a general issue. Sorry.
does anybody have random shutdown problems ?

Sometimes my xbmc crashes trying to shutdown via GUI and then starts up a few seconds later again.

Seriously without crashlog....
LeonM Wrote:P.S. I'm not really familiar with the apt system, can I somehow add the mainline kernel to apt, so it automatically installs the latest version when I run apt-get upgrade?

create an install.sh file and add:

Quote:FILES="linux-headers-2.6.36-997_2.6.36-997.201009110905_all.deb \
linux-headers-2.6.36-997-generic_2.6.36-997.201009110905_amd64.deb \
linux-image-2.6.36-997-generic_2.6.36-997.201009110905_amd64.deb"

for f in $FILES
do
wget http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mai...-maverick/$f
done

sudo dpkg -i $FILES
sudo update-grub2

u have to edit the paths of course Wink
run with sh ./install.sh
Krautmaster Wrote:create an install.sh file and add:

u have to edit the paths of course Wink
run with sh ./install.sh

I am familiar with shell scripting, this would only really work if the kernels in the "current" directory had a default filename.

I saw that 2.6.39-rc2 was released today, it features some minor improvements for i915. I believe it has something to do with the output (analog/LVDS) detection.

Anyway, GOOD NEWS!

Got XBMC finally running with "stock" mesa and libva. After that, I rebuild mesa and libva once more from git mainline and now it works Big Grin 1080p with just 8% CPU usage on an 2100T CPU! Just awesome.

Again, thanks a lot for all the useful info!
hm is there a difference of installing xbmc-live out of a ppa instead of using
Quote:sudo wget http://paste.kde.org/7158/raw/ -O /etc/init/xbmc.conf
sudo ln -s /lib/init/upstart-job /etc/init.d/xbmc
sudo wget http://paste.kde.org/7022/raw/ -O /usr/bin/runXBMC
sudo chmod a+x /usr/bin/runXBMC

anyway, i still have various shutdown problems and i dont know how to find out why.
XBMC closes without generating an crashlog and starts again a few seconds later. Once faild, u have to reboot manually.

The problem is randomized, shutdown works in 8 of 10 cases ...

Any ideas?

Edit:

is it possible to build xbmc-live by my own? Normaly, with ppas, i install xbmc and xbmc-live and it works good so far but without this clock patch and most of the ppas are compiled without VAAPI...
XBMC is easy to build, same possible for the Live package?
Thanks

Edit2:

The problems are not only on 11Pre, same for 10.0 Dharma Branch
Krautmaster Wrote:is it possible to build xbmc-live by my own? Normaly, with ppas, i install xbmc and xbmc-live and it works good so far but without this clock patch and most of the ppas are compiled without VAAPI...
XBMC is easy to build, same possible for the Live package?
Thanks

There is no need to build the LIVE version of xbmc as we do our own custom live version here. We do have almsost everything after this guide than you have with a live package install. Only suspend needs a little work. I was able to figure out the lack of multichannel lpcm. I will add it to the guide. For suspend to work you need the latest BIOS of your motherboard (there is a chipset firmware upgrade in it) after that sudo pm-suspend works. The only thing i need to figure out is why the xbmc session is not "active" when i check it with ck-list-sessions. Without that Ubuntu won't alow xbmc to start a suspend process.
Hi guys,
With new sandy bridge system I'm wondering whether to go the Ubuntu path.
I LOVE Ubuntu but cannot compromise on the HD bit streaming (DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD via hdmi).

Was anyone able to bitstream HD audio formats ?

I know that it should be possible from here : http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.ph...I-On-Linux
but does it ready/works with xbmc ?

Thanks,
Nir.
nirmv Wrote:I know that it should be possible from here : http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.ph...I-On-Linux
but does it ready/works with xbmc ?

I know that on Boxee it is already working and AFAIK there is work started for xbmc. But as the new Audio Engine branch will be merged hopefully soon, this feature won't be added before. It would not make sense to implement it to an outdated engine.
wrong Wink
Hi, this is my first message.
Don't judge me by my English.

I have an i5 2500k with gigabyte h67m-ud2h-b3. I use the hdmi connected to an Onkyo 608.

I followed the instructions. I had a couple of problems. A XT related library and when I compiled the xbmc I needed to install a python dev package.

The "autorun" didn't work for me, but I launched the program manually.

I see the cpu load in the 4 cores and it seems a little high (ranging from 10 % to 56 %). But then I see the vcpu and it's as low as 5 %.

The linux itself only detects 2 channels over hdmi. But when the sound is ac3 or dts the xbmc outputs correctly 5.1. When I have flac 6 channels or dolbytruehd the output is limited to 2 channels.

I'm going to try the maverick approach, because this system is too minimal and I don't have the skills and patience to complete it.

Thanks in advance.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO use VAAPI HW Acceleration on new Intel Sandy Bridge platform3