XBMC Screen Blanking after 10 minutes
I've searched everywhere to find a solution to this problem, and all the things I have tried so far aren't working... so I am reaching out for help.

I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 with XBMC-Live, and all has been perfect for quite a while now. Tonight I noticed that XBMC 10.1 was released, so I decided to upgrade to the new version.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install xbmc

Bunch of stuff gets updated, I reboot because I saw that the kernel was upgraded, no big deal.

Sit down to watch a movie, and then 10 minutes into the movie... bam black screen. Sound is still just fine (using TOSlink to a receiver), but the HDMI to the TV is blank.

So I jump onto an SSH shell, restart xmbc-live, and boom, signal comes back. Rinse and repeat this several times, always goes blank at exactly 10 minutes. When the screen blanks, the movie is still playing, and I can start/stop and traverse menus with the remote control... but no video at all.

I have tried using "nomodeset" due to the newer kernels using KMS, but to no avail. I'm not even sure KMS is the issue.

I've turned on debug for XBMC, level 1, but there is nothing noted in the log when the blanking occurs. Same for Xorg logs.

Please Please Please help.... I can't live without my working XBMC, and I really don't want to reinstall...
My Setup:
  • Zotac MAG (with SSD) + 2TB External USB
  • Logitech Harmony One + Random Chinese I/R Receiver
  • XBMC + sabnzbd + sickbeard + couchpotato
I'm having the same issue on Ubuntu 10.10 but I notice pressing a keyboard key brings the screen back. So I assume some kind of power saving is running somewhere. As I have completely disabled Gnome it must be somewhere else.

At the moment I have to sit next to the keyboard when I watch anything
Some system stats:

Kernel: 2.6.37-12-generic
Nvidia: NVIDIA dlloader X Driver 260.19.44
Xorg: X.Org X Server 1.9.2.901 (1.9.3 RC 1)
My Setup:
Did you reinstall the nvidia drivers? Whenver you updat xbmc or do a kernel update you need to reinstall the driver.
lithiumc Wrote:Did you reinstall the nvidia drivers? Whenver you updat xbmc or do a kernel update you need to reinstall the driver.

I thought about that... but it wants to remove my Xorg install and other stuff when I try to do a "apt-get install nvidia-current"

=============LOG=============
apt-get -d install nvidia-current
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
x11-apps xorg-docs-core xfonts-scalable x11-xfs-utils libqt4-dbus xfonts-75dpi libqtcore4 x11-session-utils libfs6 libqt4-xml xfonts-100dpi libqtgui4
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
fglrx fglrx-amdcccle xorg xserver-xorg xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-input-all xserver-xorg-input-evdev xserver-xorg-input-mouse xserver-xorg-input-synaptics xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse
xserver-xorg-input-wacom
The following packages will be upgraded:
nvidia-current
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 11 to remove and 9 not upgraded.
Need to get 28.5MB of archives.
After this operation, 77.4MB disk space will be freed.
================/LOG================
My Setup:
I did however pull down "NVIDIA-Linux-x86-260.19.44.run" from Nvidia, and I have installed that.

Ran this command:
sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-260.19.44.run -k $(uname -r) --x-module-path=/usr/lib/xorg/modules --x-library-path=/usr/lib
My Setup:
Lightbulb 
It looks like adding the below to my xorg.conf has fixed the problem so far. I'm now 12 minutes in, and no blanking.

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "BlankTime" "0"
Option "StandbyTime" "0"
Option "SuspendTime" "0"
Option "OffTime" "0"
EndSection
My Setup:
Try doing "export SDL_VIDEO_ALLOW_SCREENSAVER=0" before starting xbmc.
Seeing this Exact same thing on my Zotac ION after I updated to 10.1.

Worked perfectly fine with 10 and now just, as the OP described same thing is occurring.
Wonder whats up?

thank you
bobo1on1 Wrote:Try doing "export SDL_VIDEO_ALLOW_SCREENSAVER=0" before starting xbmc.

I'm in the process of a full rebuild at this point. I have apparently royally screwed up my system in my attempts to fix the issue, as libvdpau is now shown as running, but at 1080i I'm dropping almost every other frame.

Tried to repair it the last 2 days, but to no avail, so I'm rebuilding.

Once I'm back up, I'll see if I can recreate the behavior
My Setup:
fatalglitch Wrote:then 10 minutes into the movie... bam black screen. Sound is still just fine

The same here! Sad
I have upgraded XBMC to 10.1 a few days ago, but this "blank screen after 10 minutes" problem occured today.
Does anybody have a solution for this weird problem ?

How can I append Ubuntu Screensaver Settings or Power Management Settings from terminal ?
thanks
d.
I have solved my case of this problem.

My XBMC simply worked in "WINDOWED MODE", not in "FULL SCREEN" (both modes look identical on CRT TV)
You can switch both modes mistakenly with "\" on keyboard, which unfortunatedly is located close to the ENTER key.

Thanks
d.
That makes sense, the xorg screensaver is only disabled when XBMC is running fullscreen.
(2011-03-20, 18:02)dogett Wrote: I have solved my case of this problem.

My XBMC simply worked in "WINDOWED MODE", not in "FULL SCREEN" (both modes look identical on CRT TV)
You can switch both modes mistakenly with "\" on keyboard, which unfortunatedly is located close to the ENTER key.

Thanks
d.

WOW that took me a while to figure out ! THANKS! I was wondering why it did it so RANDOM ...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Screen Blanking after 10 minutes0