Need some wiring help please
I am planning on using my existing pc as an htpc. It is located about 30 feet from my tv. I will need to run the wires into the basement, under the floor, then up to my tv. I will need a cable for some sort of receiver for a remote/wireless keyboard to control the htpc, and rca cables for the audio and video.

Is that too far for rca cables for the audio/video?

What type of receiver can I use for a remote control, wireless keyboard, or both?

Or, is this not going to be achievable?

Thanks in advance,
Ray
wireless keyboards usually go with RF signals but dno if they go trough walls Smile
maybe u can check ebay for a used HP Remote or MCE remote and a long USB cable to place at your TV

for the RCA cables u definatly need good cables ( not them standard ones that come with a VCR or so ) but i dont know if u can get them in that length

if it isnt available in the local hardware shop i suggest checking for caraudio tuning stuff , they are gonna have long RCA's
be sure to have protected ones ( with a groundwire extra around the cables )

my toughts the cables are not that cheap ... because of the length u can get interfearance ( dno if its spelled this way Smile ) with power cables etc etc of even quality loss !
Yes my first thought would be to consider the truth length of cable you might need, and perhaps think about moving the computer instead. The same goes for the USB receiver for the remote or keyboard/mouse. You wont be able to run a USB extension cable that length without issue, certainly a lot of unwanted latency.

For vista/7 you can buy a remote/receiver combo online for about $25 that you just plug in and go. There is some software available for tweaking the command mapping as well.

Is there any reason you couldn't move the pc closer?
This is a uk link but they must be available in any other country too:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/remote-control-i...ter-115205

It just repeats the signal using ir. It would save you having to run cable for the remote.
Thanks for your replies.

I can't move the pc out of the den and into the living room. My wife would kill me. I wanted to build a dedicated htpc to put in the living room but that didn't fly.

What is your thoughts on max usb length?

I am running windows 7.
Thanks for the repeater link. I'll look into that.
Would something like THIS work?
Has anyone tried an audio/video transmitter. I found a few that look interesting while searching for a remote extender. HERE is one that I found on amazon that has a built in remote extender. Any thoughts on something like this?
rizaydog Wrote:Has anyone tried an audio/video transmitter. I found a few that look interesting while searching for a remote extender. HERE is one that I found on amazon that has a built in remote extender. Any thoughts on something like this?

If your willing to spend that kind of money, why not just get an apple tv2 ?
I agree, apple tv for $99, takes a few minutes to jailbreak and install xbmc on it, and then it'll do everything short of 1080p
That looks like an interesting idea. I'll look into the apple tv.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need some wiring help please0