[MAC] XMBC freeze
Hello,

I'm trying to get xbmc to work under a Mac (10.6). While behaving more or less correctly, it freezes completely after a few clicks, and remains frozen until some other program get's the focus (e.g. hitting cmd-tab and cycling back to xbmc is ok).

After unfreezing it works again for a few minutes, and then it's the same story again. Needless to say that it's unusable in this state.

So far I failed to even isolate a reason for this behaviour. Logs are silent during the freeze / unfreeze. System is fine. xbmc continues to use CPU cycles when frozen, but far from 100%.

Any information or hint would be most welcome!

Gilles
could you post a debug log, it should tell us why it is freezing/lagging.
Proper Usage of a debug log
If I managed to help you in any way, please add to my reputation
Apologies for the late reply.

The freeze happens even after a start, when I do nothing. I've pasted the xbmc.log here: http://pastebin.com/0yw71Xqm

It is virtually impossible to get information about the process in the freezed state as any program change unfreezes it.

The log is pretty uneventful, and does not log anything during a freeze or unfreeze.

The system is an up-to-date 10.6.7. XBMC is 10.1, downloaded and installed as dmg.

Any hints on how to debug this further would be welcome...

Best,
Gilles
In activity monitor you can sample the process - could shed some light on what it happening.

What is the spec of your computer (the log loads 320m graphics processor which is in the mac mini right?)
Well, the problem with Activity Monitor is that when I switch to it, xbmc unfreezes, which kind of defeats the purpose of the sample. But I just found that 'sample' exists also as command line tool... I'll have a go at it this evening.

A as for the spec: it is indeed a recent mac mini (Intel Core 2 Duo 2,4 GHz, 2GB ram). Nothing fancy but largely enough for this kind of setup.

And what I forgot to mention: the freeze happens while being whithin xbmc's menus, I'm not even in a playback mode.

Best,
Gilles
gilles Wrote:Apologies for the late reply.

The freeze happens even after a start, when I do nothing. I've pasted the xbmc.log here: http://pastebin.com/0yw71Xqm

It is virtually impossible to get information about the process in the freezed state as any program change unfreezes it.

The log is pretty uneventful, and does not log anything during a freeze or unfreeze.

The system is an up-to-date 10.6.7. XBMC is 10.1, downloaded and installed as dmg.

Any hints on how to debug this further would be welcome...

Best,
Gilles

ssh in, kill -6 <pid> where pid is xbmc's. that will force a crashreporter log dump and maybe we can see where xbmc is hung.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MAC] XMBC freeze0