[ATV1] Sam's Beta Image, Dharma 10.1 & 1080p...
Anyone by any chance tried a fresh image on their Apple TV 1 using Sam's latest beta image which grabs Dharma 10.1?

I'm having mixed luck with it, it seems to be handling 720p just fine but any 1080p movie I send its way, the sucker crashes all the way out to the command prompt within seconds.

I took a look at the logs and saved them from both a currently playing fine 720p mkv and from a crash 1080p mkv and they look the same. Happy to share them if that might help, or if there's possibly some other spot I can get crash data from (the exit might not be logging for some reason when the 1080p mkvs crash).

I realize it's a beta image and if I need to wait it out that's cool, but if my info might be interested or help Sam or any other testers, or if other testers have seen similar results, let me know.

I'm running an Apple TV1 with a Crystal HD in it BTW.
Which version of the crystalHD driver are you using?
Wow, I didn't even think of that. I assumed since it grabbed the latest Dharma it grabbed the latest Crysal HD as well. Is there an easy way to find out? I don't see anything in the sys info menus but I can ssh in, just not sure how to tell what version I got.
I just went ahead and followed the script here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=571...tcount=671

To bump to the latest, think it checked out 174. Same exact result.

I do believe I have sync using video clock turned on now but I have tried all combinations of on/off with it.

I could always just try and start over but if I have a significant bug found here I should probably help get it logged first.

I followed the directions here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=92077

Though I will admit I didn't manage to get 100% of my drive access back so perhaps this is a disk space issue if my partitions aren't quite right (I'm running from the hard drive, not usb)...

Open to suggestions, or if I can provide any logs let me know, I'd love to know how I managed to make this happen (and why it's only doing it on 1080p file and not on any 720p files).
BTW I will also note I am using MySQL here and streaming over wired gigabit ethernet.
If you followed the instructions you have r174
I have r170 built as I prefer 8 buffers to 16
What card have you got? 70012 or 70015?
My card is the 70012.

I'm trying a fresh install from scratch using the installer.img rather than the usb.img and the manual process to see if it makes any difference.

I wonder if the 70012 is problematic. You running with the 70015?

When I was using the original Crystalbuntu and Dharma 10.0 I was at least able to play the 1080p. I saw frame drops but it didn't bomb out like this one is doing. I'm just not sure if it's 10.1 or the new Sam image.

I might go back the pin87 image with 10.1 and see if I have better luck.
I have a 70012 with driver r170 (8 DMA buffers) and pin87a image
After a reboot it seems stable but I'm still not overly happy with the freezes/frame drops even in some 720p content. I'll keep tweaking though. At least it's not crashing anymore.
BDPNA Wrote:Anyone by any chance tried a fresh image on their Apple TV 1 using Sam's latest beta image which grabs Dharma 10.1?

I'm having mixed luck with it, it seems to be handling 720p just fine but any 1080p movie I send its way, the sucker crashes all the way out to the command prompt within seconds.

[ ]

I'm running an Apple TV1 with a Crystal HD in it BTW.

I have the new image, 70012 CHD. The install is pretty automatic. It first updates things to 10.1. I haven't noticed any problems yet with 720p stuff. In fact it's really quite stable. I am running it off a 16gig flash drive.

Make sure you are using his latest image installer. That thread is over in the Linux section.

philip
I did have better luck the second time around using that image. No idea why the first time wound up so badly.

It's stable, but I'm wondering for anyone streaming MKV over the network, how their pause and rewind/ff are working? Also there larger jumps?

My ATV 1 doesn't react well to jumping around a 720P MKV. Then again this may be unavoidable with a hardware limitation. I imagine it might handle it better if the files were local but I'm using MySQL.
Does skin use have an impact on the performance btw? How's the rewind and fast forward for you using it and which skin?

I'm using a fairly complex skin, which may be part of the problem.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ATV1] Sam's Beta Image, Dharma 10.1 & 1080p...0