ProphetVX Wrote:I've attempted a similar project before, the biggest issue I found was the lack of sites to easily scrape accurately that actually had a comprehensive and accurate database, unfortunately with the exception of itunes, most sites have limited scope or catalog's, so the difficult part was merging that data across various sites in a useful manner. It seems like you've overcome those issues though, so keep up the good work, I'm very interested to see how this project progresses.
Between http://www.discogs.com and http://www.allmusic.com, most information can be obtained, but it is not always current. I cross-check the information obtained and validate it against any ID3 tag information that can be obtained from existing files. I haven't tried obtaining information from itunes, but I'm actually going to look into that right now since you mentioned it.
ProphetVX Wrote:Based on your screenshots, I'm assuming the application is written in C#? Another option is to port it to java, which there are many obvious syntactical similarities which would create a far easier path to having a hosted solution and platform independence, but that's obviously a fair way down the roadmap. Depending on the complexity of the project there is a plugin for netbeans that I've used with moderate success that can automate the porting of VB or C# to Java.
This project is currently written using VB.NET (2010 version). C# is very similar though... mostly minor syntax differences. I can fairly easily convert back and forth if needed. Converting VB.NET to Java would be a bit more of a challenge though. I'm at around 7,000 lines of code at the moment so that would definitely take some time.