[LINUX] Asus AT3IONT-I Deluxe + SSD
Hi there Wink

I wanna build my one Htpc/Nas, with Ubuntu...

Mb - Asus AT3IONT-I Deluxe ('cause the wireless)
SSD - 60GB OCZ Vertex 2 2.5in SATA II /or/ OCZ 120GB SSD Vertex 2 SATA II 2.5 (probably i'll install windows in another partition)
Hd - Western Digital 1Tb 7200RPM S-ATA2 64Mb Green (storange)
Ram - 2x 2GB DDR3 Kingston (virtualization, any chance ?!? :p)
Case - Huh

It's a good configuration? it's all compatible?!??
and i have no ideia about the case, but i must put all the parts inside that lol

any sugestions?
Thanks Smile
its a great configuration and i dont think you will have any issues. Ion is well supported under linux and XBMC so in terms of watching your media you will be golden.

If you plan to use the SSD just for the OS and XBMC, and have all your media stored on the 1tb drive, then you may not need 120gb SSD, hell you may not even need 60gb, should be able to get windows 7 and ubuntu on a 30gb. But thats just food for thought.

the only question for the case would be what kind of size you are looking for. There are plenty that blend in with dvd players and receivers and wont stand out as a PC, or you could use just a regular ATX case. Really a question of expansion, if you think you will add more drives then you will need a larger case. If a single 2.5 and a single 3.5 is all you'll ever have, then you can get some pretty slim systems.
wicky Wrote:its a great configuration and i dont think you will have any issues. Ion is well supported under linux and XBMC so in terms of watching your media you will be golden.

If you plan to use the SSD just for the OS and XBMC, and have all your media stored on the 1tb drive, then you may not need 120gb SSD, hell you may not even need 60gb, should be able to get windows 7 and ubuntu on a 30gb. But thats just food for thought.

the only question for the case would be what kind of size you are looking for. There are plenty that blend in with dvd players and receivers and wont stand out as a PC, or you could use just a regular ATX case. Really a question of expansion, if you think you will add more drives then you will need a larger case. If a single 2.5 and a single 3.5 is all you'll ever have, then you can get some pretty slim systems.

Thanks for the reply Smile

Well i really enjoy Ubuntu (last 2 years) but there are things only avaiable in windows... so windows in another partition or virtualization. (if you say, SSD 60Gb is enough)
And the HD WD.. for storange, is compatible with Sata 3??

The Htpc is for regular use (internet, office and movies) no games.
And at night sould be downloading... so must be very sillent and low power.

The case i want smalest possible, it just for this project.. any sugestion?

Thanks again.
Is the power supply of this case enough for all my components?
Jou Jye NU-528i-B

it's been ward to find a case that can hold 1 SSD + 3.5HD
BlushEekHuh
I recently did what you're talking about. I got the non-deluxe version and used an APEX MI-008 mini-ITX case with two 1TB 5400rpm "green" drives in a RAID1 array and a 16GB SSD drive for the OS. The case is fanless but I added a low rpm (quiet) fan. 250W power supply has been fine. I'm sure far less than that is ever used.

I installed from XBMCLive and then added on samba and other stuff to get the file sharing and raid setup. Also installed Transmission.

I've been really pleased with both XBMC as my media player as well as the file sharing. I still need to get the wake-on-lan, wake-on-usb, and auto-hibernation worked out.

more info:
You mentioned the difficulty in finding a case to support the drives you want. With the Apex MI-008, here's what I did:
5.25" bay = 5.25"->3.5" adapter + 3.5" HDD
3.5" bay = 3.5" HDD
vacant space below drive bays = 2.5" SSD velcro'd to the case Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Asus AT3IONT-I Deluxe + SSD0