Non-flash Boxee apps in XBMC?
I know Boxee uses a proprietary flash player solution to power many of its apps. But for a Boxee app that does not use bxfplayer, how difficult would it be to drop that into the XBMC plugins folder and use it? What other considerations are there? Thanks!
I think boxee rss feed addons should drop in straight away (i.e. via just specifying the rss:// url via Add Source).

Most other boxee "apps" are a combination of skin XML and python, where the python is embedded in the XML. These will not work correctly in XBMC - there's another thread on this where I've detailed the reasons.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I'm currently developing a special 'mc' module for xbmc. It wil emulate the boxee environment on xbmc, but it does require you the split python code out of the xml file Still you can keep the main code the same, which makes it very easy to port. At the moment it does not support flash or rss, but all other major functions.

I will post an updated link soon when i synced my laptop with github
Thanks for the spot-on replies, you guys. The app I'm looking at is indeed one of the skin/xml combinations, but since it doesn't use flash, it should work with the mc module. In fact, I tried to just drop it in and run it and the error it throws is related to the lack of the mc module.

Hopefully I'll be able to abstract the python form the xml (not being a programmer, I might need some help).
You can find my mc module over here:
https://github.com/bartsidee/Bartsidee-R...libs/mc.py

It is stil under heavy development and probably some important function are lacking functionality. I hope to finish it somewhere in the end of the week.

You will have to follow some directory restructuring to allow a good integration with xbmc addon system. Also due to the lack of some python handles in xbmc I discovered that you can not use the text edit control. I will post a new thread in both this forum and boxee dev forum with instructions when I'm done.
I just finished the mc module today, it should house the main function to port your appliction. When I have some time this weekend I will look into into making a manual. For now can have a look at the way I constructed it. Main things to look at are:

Default.py

skin python folder

and the above mc module
This is great, thanks! Not being a python guy, I'll likely need to wait for the manual. But hopefully this will be our missing link!
Nice work bartsidee - is the plan to split off the mc module as a script.module ?

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Yeah the idea is that the mc module is just a script module to convert the boxee code into xbmc code and return the action to the active window.

You still need to extract the boxee code from the skin files and order it in a class with 'onaction' and 'onclick' definitions. But it would make it much more easier to copy the code without major modifications.
You can find the manual here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=753680

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Non-flash Boxee apps in XBMC?0