• 8(current)
[PATCH] Global AV delay support via advancedsettings.xml
a11599 Wrote:Yeah. The only use case I haven't tested is what happens if you don't have an advancedsettings.xml (or <video> tag)... Smile

I ran that test case for you this morning. Not pretty.
I posted this in the wrong thread yesterday, I was supposed to post it here:

This is may not be the right thread to post in but as most of you probably get e-mails when people reply here I decided to post anyway.

Download this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCPEidaVzQU) sync test from Youtube using youtube-dl and use it to fine-tune the latency parameters in your advancedsettings.xml. I tried a bunch of different sync tests but this one is by far the best. The best result is achieved by sitting very close to the screen, covering the left part of bar with a sheet of paper until you find the sweet spot where audio and video match. For the most fine-grained tuning I suggest setting the global <delay> as well as XBMCs built-in audio delay to zero, then using your recievers delay settings as it can usually be set with millisecond precision. When you have found the correct value, use that in your advancedsettings.xml.

By using this test I can at least confirm that PAL content (refresh rate change from 60 to 50Hz) is 100% delay free. If you have a hard time finding the sweet spot when adjusting then play the original PAL version first so you get an idea of how perfect sync looks like.

To convert to NTSC (the video is in PAL) you can use ffmpeg (it takes about a minute to convert).

Hope this helps!
found my way to this thread due to the new RC1 build for HD audios.

forgive my stupidity, as trying to understand the point of it.

but how does this differ, from setting the AV delay within the menu options, and selecting to remember these settings for all videos? Presume I'm misunderstanding something Smile
Midnight Tboy Wrote:found my way to this thread due to the new RC1 build for HD audios.

forgive my stupidity, as trying to understand the point of it.

but how does this differ, from setting the AV delay within the menu options, and selecting to remember these settings for all videos? Presume I'm misunderstanding something Smile

When doing it your way, the same delay is applied to all videos. What most of us are experiencing is a delay only on 24 fps content.
aah thanks Negge.

I managed to get a balance between 24 and 25fps uk content etc....but main time I have to adjust delay generally is if the video is using DTS audio instead of AC3....like the different audio formats have different delays.

As far as a couple of months ago, I believe there was no way to have a delay set based on the audio format. I wonder if this could be adapted to id the audio type and set delay based on that, rather than framerate
Midnight Tboy Wrote:aah thanks Negge.

I managed to get a balance between 24 and 25fps uk content etc....but main time I have to adjust delay generally is if the video is using DTS audio instead of AC3....like the different audio formats have different delays.

As far as a couple of months ago, I believe there was no way to have a delay set based on the audio format. I wonder if this could be adapted to id the audio type and set delay based on that, rather than framerate

Some other people said the same thing (only DTS causing delay) although no one ever found out anything exclusive.

Have a look at the options for advancedsettings.xml, there's a page about it on the wiki.
negge Wrote:When doing it your way, the same delay is applied to all videos. What most of us are experiencing is a delay only on 24 fps content.

Not in my case all my 24p is fine and in sync apart from 24p dts videos which are out.

So this patch would not wrok for me. Would it not be better to have a patch for refresh rate+ audio type ?
meridius Wrote:Not in my case all my 24p is fine and in sync apart from 24p dts videos which are out.

So this patch would not wrok for me. Would it not be better to have a patch for refresh rate+ audio type ?

Meridius - if you are using Windows can you try this version and let us know how DTS does for you? It has this patch included but also has some tweaks to DTS muxing. It is an RC1 version. If you backup/rename guisettings.xml you can restore it and reinstall whatever version you are on now if it doesn't help. Just want to see if it solves DTS playback for you.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
elephant in the room for rc1 :

Quote:Unfortunately, it appears a major bug has snuck into RC1 resulting in video lag across all platforms under certain situations.

woups.... No

Can't help but feel a little bummed.
sebj Wrote:elephant in the room for rc1 :

woups.... No

Can't help but feel a little bummed.

The link above has been patched for the bug-fix - no issues there. Yeah, it's unfortunate the bug crept into RC1 (along with an ATV sync issue) but that's why RC2 is being rolled out quickly. That's life in both the development world and for users wanting the latest versions. Without testers on a wide variety of platforms trying the code and giving debug logs back no software reaches stable release. If finding a bug and helping out bums you out you should probably stay with stable releases!
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Smile 
Damian

I think you misunderstood my thinking here

I meant that this was included post feature freeze, we were happy, but the commit "ruined" rc1 for some users. Just a little guilt

I've been at this long enough, worked in qa for autodesk, so i take breakage lightly i assure you!

Bleeding edge ftw my friends :0)
@sebj, niether you nor the dev should feel guilty - even bug-fixes can create bugs, let alone new features as you know. Ultimately a smaller test-group might be an answer, but as you say - bleeding edge and all.

I think I just mis-read your comment. Glad the patch made it in for those who need it - it IS a bug-fix or more accurately a workaround for a bug. Obviously the lack of sync is a deeper issue and know it's being looked into by some brilliant guys, including a11599
So the bug was introduced due to this? I have to say I feel guilty too. I hope devs don't regret putting this in. I am surely grateful they did.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
ashlar Wrote:So the bug was introduced due to this? I have to say I feel guilty too. I hope devs don't regret putting this in. I am surely grateful they did.

It wasn't the only bug (ATV1 users got worse) but s**t happens. We have a large group of testers (you!) and responsive developers Wink
DDDamian Wrote:Meridius - if you are using Windows can you try this version and let us know how DTS does for you? It has this patch included but also has some tweaks to DTS muxing. It is an RC1 version. If you backup/rename guisettings.xml you can restore it and reinstall whatever version you are on now if it doesn't help. Just want to see if it solves DTS playback for you.

sorry mate have not had the time to try this yet. is the linkabove to the new RC2 ? and your patch
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[PATCH] Global AV delay support via advancedsettings.xml2