• 4(current)
video buffering alot during stream 720p Video - SMB
How old is the house/flat you are living in? Powerline adapters should work well with new electrical installations but older installations tend to struggle.

You could run them underneath the carpet by the skirting board or if you have white skirting boards get some white network cables and tack them on..
White Network Cables

£7.99 of cable is a lot cheaper than all the inferior alternatives that will always be a thorn in your side.

Another option which my friend prefers is to have a cable running through the middle of his house, his wife loves it Big Grin
The house is only 8 years old, so the wiring should be pretty good, but before I had the new router, I noticed that when my roommate would use his shredder, the buffering would immediately begin. I'll have to temporarily run a direct ethernet line to the ATV just to see if it makes a difference.
If you can't run cables in the place you should upgrade your router to a 802.11n router, for $149 (AU) you can get a Apple Airport Express that can be plugged into you existing router and doubles as a Airplay target and a USB print server... depending on distance you should be able to get just as good connection speeds as a wired 100mb network.

I have an ATV in a remote part of my house (which I'm too damned lazy to cable) connected to an Airport Express and it's connection speed is 65mbps approx 40 m and 3 brick walls from the Airport.
I need to reply on this. Since I also had problems with buffering and have made a lot of changes in my network.

Powerplugs cant work well if you have different electrical fase in your apartment/house. Even if your house is only 8 years old, its even bigger chance that you have different fases there.

I found out that the atv in bedroom started to buffer after 45-60 min into a 720p mkv movie. Then buffer every minute, protocoll was smb, but when I went over to upnp the whole movie was smooth.

Yesterday I bought another new router, Cisco E4200. I now run the three apple tvs alone on the 5Ghz and rest of the computers at 2.4ghz. We saw a whole movie yesterday, 720p mkv with absolutley no buffer at smb protocoll in bedroom.

If I was you I would check with cable first, since all three of my atv doesnt buffer anymore, with latest official xbmc firmware.
for me mac ftp works great without buffering, but xbmc has problems with ftp symlinks :S

mac smb is very slow, buffering all 30s

tested on mkv 1080p 9gb (crank I)
bircoe Wrote:If you can't run cables in the place you should upgrade your router to a 802.11n router, for $149 (AU) you can get a Apple Airport Express that can be plugged into you existing router and doubles as a Airplay target and a USB print server... depending on distance you should be able to get just as good connection speeds as a wired 100mb network.

I have an ATV in a remote part of my house (which I'm too damned lazy to cable) connected to an Airport Express and it's connection speed is 65mbps approx 40 m and 3 brick walls from the Airport.

Quote:I need to reply on this. Since I also had problems with buffering and have made a lot of changes in my network.

Powerplugs cant work well if you have different electrical fase in your apartment/house. Even if your house is only 8 years old, its even bigger chance that you have different fases there.

I found out that the atv in bedroom started to buffer after 45-60 min into a 720p mkv movie. Then buffer every minute, protocoll was smb, but when I went over to upnp the whole movie was smooth.

Yesterday I bought another new router, Cisco E4200. I now run the three apple tvs alone on the 5Ghz and rest of the computers at 2.4ghz. We saw a whole movie yesterday, 720p mkv with absolutley no buffer at smb protocoll in bedroom.

If I was you I would check with cable first, since all three of my atv doesnt buffer anymore, with latest official xbmc firmware.

It sounds like you two didn't read my earlier post that I already bought a brand new wireless N router that ONLY my Apple TV is connected to at 5GHz, and I still have buffering issues. The router sits right at my server PC, so the files are being sent directly from my PC to the ATV. I have no idea how I can test my streaming speeds from my ATV. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Also, what's the point of getting a Airplay Express, when the ATV can connect directly to my router through 802.11n?
Did I talk to you? Yeah obviously I was. Anyway, sir, as mention from previous members, please check cable first to rule out its network related.

Thanks.
sumsh Wrote:Also, what's the point of getting a Airplay Express, when the ATV can connect directly to my router through 802.11n?

Meh my bad, I was too lazy to read 6 pages of posts...
Hi folks,

Getting the same issue with SMB.

Just to recap, my atv2 is running 4.2.1 and the latest official version of XBMC connected to my Synology using cable (not wireless).

Playing the normal files never was an issue but playing 1080 and 720 mkv, was having some buffering issues.

Yesterday, I've changed the protocol to FTP...and it is now working perfectly

Ebt
I also tried the EyeConnect Streaming Upnp Server, that worked also great without buffering! And the directoriy listing is nice now... Smile
jwdv22 Wrote:That command is for the Windows Server, not the atv2

I cannot run this command on my Windows 2000 Server.
netsh exists, interfaces are listed, but nothing from TCP beyond...

I guess it has something to do with SMB on ATV2, because it affects all of my network. If ATV2 is turned on, I cannot watch videos on my WDTV Live in my bedroom using a wireless connection to my W2K Server - only wired.
If I turn off ATV2 in the living room downstairs, (I mean plug out from AC - the only way this works), everything goes back to normal, and I can watch videos over WiFi normally (802.11.n of course).

Hope it helps during troubleshooting... but this simple test lead me to a network problem in ATV2, while it is interfering with my current Wireless N home net...
RosevilleHT Wrote:I'm sure that's a total priority for the devs right now. Better yet, how about you get setup as a dev yourself and provide some of the legwork in the coding? Stare

Im not beein ungrateful , just pointing out the facts that its broken/not working.
If I was a programer I would get myself into the Code, but as for now I trie to be helpful debugin builds, and I also did some translation while back. Plus im a donater, and a faithfukll users since xbmp.
So to sum up, Smb protocol is buffering or doing something differently then in its brotherly setup on windows/ Linux. So it does not play movies as solid with low bandwith, even though the same bandwith used is working fine on linux.
How and where to debug that is something I dont know , If someone points me to the right direction I am more then willing to look into it. But now I am not sure if its the SMB protocol in ATV2 , or the Xbmc engien doing buffering thats causing the problem.
I can confirm that this issue applies to smb, I switched to ftp protocol and the movies play without any buffering problems.
Now I need to find where I can enable the Thumbs for ftp sources I know its here somewhere Wink
haffi Wrote:I can confirm that this issue applies to smb, I switched to ftp protocol and the movies play without any buffering problems.
Now I need to find where I can enable the Thumbs for ftp sources I know its here somewhere Wink

Thanks for the tip, i switched to ftp and all is good Smile.

cheers
HTPC 1 : Acer revo R3700 ion2 HTPC 2 :Apple TV2 HTPC 3 : Apple TV2 HTPC4 Acer revo R3700 ion2 Remote : x2 Riimote2
SERVER : 10TB Ubuntu Server 10.04, dual wintv nova hd s2 cards, tvheadend, Newcs, Omnikey reader, White *Sky uk* Card, Mysql Db, Sabnzbdplus, SickBeard, Couchpotato, FlexRaid. :cool:
--------------------------------------------
Hi I tried both FTP and SMB but some 1080p files are still no good. There is no buffering, but the movies stutter.

So I thinks it is not a networkproblem. (when I play movies from the NAs to my PC the movies are lookign stunning)

So is there a problem with my Apple tv 2?

Thanks
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
video buffering alot during stream 720p Video - SMB2