Would love to Build a Mini PC running XBMC
Gents,

I have been a guest of the site for a while now and have looked endlessly through the forums, and enjoyed reading the various articles on the site.

Having built a few PC's in my time I know enough to build myself a mini PC, but I would like to ask a few questions (if this is in the wrong area I do apologise).

I would like to Build a HTPC using a mini-PC (which one I don't know yet as there is so many to choose from), I would like to install windows 7 on it so that I can use other programs like skype, messenger, facebook, twitter you get my drift, and then install XBMC on it as well. now here for some questions.

1. SWMBO is probably going to be using this more than me, is there a way to get the XBMC running automatically as soon as windows has loaded. (so it pops up without her pressing anything), so the only thing she needs to do is navigate to the films and press play.

2. Is it better to have a bigger hard drive in your pc, or a small one with media on a NAS?
1. Yes. You can set XBMC to launch on boot...

2. Small one with media on NAS

Good luck!! let us know if you run into questions!
madmiddle Wrote:Gents,

I have been a guest of the site for a while now and have looked endlessly through the forums, and enjoyed reading the various articles on the site.

Having built a few PC's in my time I know enough to build myself a mini PC, but I would like to ask a few questions (if this is in the wrong area I do apologise).

I would like to Build a HTPC using a mini-PC (which one I don't know yet as there is so many to choose from), I would like to install windows 7 on it so that I can use other programs like skype, messenger, facebook, twitter you get my drift, and then install XBMC on it as well. now here for some questions.

1. SWMBO is probably going to be using this more than me, is there a way to get the XBMC running automatically as soon as windows has loaded. (so it pops up without her pressing anything), so the only thing she needs to do is navigate to the films and press play.

2. Is it better to have a bigger hard drive in your pc, or a small one with media on a NAS?

SWMBO = She who must be obeyed Rolleyes
Loft - Intel I5-3570K, Asus P8Z77-LX, Corsair 16GB DDR3, AMD HD 7700, AOC 27" LCD
Bedroom - Intel I3-530, Intel DH55HC, Corsair 4GB DDR3, Nvidia G610, Samsung 37" HDTV
Living Room - Intel E8400, Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia G610, Samsung 52" HDTV
madmiddle Wrote:2. Is it better to have a bigger hard drive in your pc, or a small one with media on a NAS?

That depends on your specific needs. If you want the media to be available to other devices on your network, then NAS is the way to go (unless you want to also use your media PC as a media server). If not, local storage will always be faster and more reliable than NAS.
thank you for your replys

I have a 750GB NAS which at the moment I only use for backing up. I was going to buy another external hard drive use that for backing up and then use the NAS for media. that way I don't need the main PC on all the time.

If I get this one right then I will probably build more of them to put round the house.
bmcclure937 Wrote:1. Yes. You can set XBMC to launch on boot...

2. Small one with media on NAS

Good luck!! let us know if you run into questions!

when you say launch on boot, is that sticking the program into the startup folder, or creating a script that runs it for you ?

sorry think i've found it:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...as_a_shell)
From what you described just adding xbmc shortcut into the startup folder would be the best option so you can then drop out of XBMC into windows when you wish

Alternatively just add a keystroke on the XBMC shortcut then your SWMBO can launch XBMC from a single button on your remote
>>X<<' Wrote:From what you described just adding xbmc shortcut into the startup folder would be the best option so you can then drop out of XBMC into windows when you wish

Alternatively just add a keystroke on the XBMC shortcut then your SWMBO can launch XBMC from a single button on your remote

would it then open it at full screen ?

Just reading the wiki entry for it and I think you can configure windows to automatically log into 1 particular user account. which I thought was a nice touch.
Yes

If you replace windows shell you will no longer have a taskbar, start menu programs menu or any part of the windows shell so if you still want to use windows as normal this option isn't for you its for those who want to only run XBMC and have no signs of windows left
Thank you gents.

I shall be now looking in the hard ware section to see what Mini-PC's people recommend

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Would love to Build a Mini PC running XBMC0