I've given up. folder.jpg just not working...
I have been on this for two days now. Searching the net, reading all the wiki's, trying endlessly different methods but can't find anything that will fix this.

Bottom line, I can't get my locally stored movie covers to be used in XBMC. IT just continues to scrape and use its own. Setup is like this.

- XBMC 10.1 (just updated the other day)
- Aeon Showmix 2.7 (also just updated the other day from the forum)
- Windows 7
- Every movie is in it's own folder with folder.jpg

From what I've read, XBMC looks for moviename.tbn first and if it finds nothing, it looks for folder.jpg and if it finds nothing, it scrapes it online.

I use starkcovers. That renames my folder.jpg's into folder.png's so I put an advancedsettings xml into my userdata folder.

Code:
<advancedsettings>
<dvdthumbs>
  <remove>folder.jpg</remove>
  <add>folder.png</add>
</dvdthumbs>
</advancedsettings>

Still nothing. It doesn't pick up the folder.png files. So I used a renamer and made them all folder.jpg's thinking that for some reason, the advancedsettings xml didn't work but still nothing. XBMC refuses to pick them up and continues to scrape it's own cover online.

Did some more reading. Shut down XBMC and deleted the thumbnail folder and the movie database folder. Noticed all the .tbn's in the thumbnail folder so it was scraping when I have locally stored metadata.

Loaded XBMC back up, imported and nothing. No covers, backdrops, nothing. Removed source, re-added and everything came back except the movie covers are still not being used locally and it's scraping online.

Ideally, I want XBMC to read my folder.png's but I can handle if I have to use a renamer all the time and make the folder.jpg's but I can't even get that to work.

Any idea's? I checked the logs and seems XBMC was loading my advancedsettings xml but given XBMC is not even using my folder.jpg images, I can understand why the xml didn't work as it just continues to scrape.

Thanks
Well, figured out it was my metadata scraper. I use Media Center Master and when the XBMC checkbox is checked, it creates a movie.tbn file which XBMC was reading before any folder.jpg file.

When I deleted the movie.tbn file, XBMC read the folder.jpg file.

I'm not sure what to do. There is no option in Media Center Master to stop the creation of the movie.tbn file and I tried playing with the advancedsettings xml (removing movie.tbn and adding folder.jpg or .png) but still didn't work. Don't really want to have to manually go through every folder and delete the movie.tbn files.

Any idea's?
I suppose you have all your movie folders inside a single "master" folder, right? If that´s the case, you can use explorer´s search to look for "movie.tbn" within this master folder; the result will show every occurrence of this file in a single list.
Mark them all and... I think you know the rest. Wink
Your thumbnail folder will always contain tbn files this is how xbmc caches your artwork even local artwork is cached its probably also why you cant exclude tbn files using advancedsettings, tbn files are just jpg files with a different extension

You cant just change the extension from png to jpg as they are a completely different format

Any reason your sticking with Media Center Master if you used Ember you have the option which image type to create so you can exclude movie.tbn

Also some skins in xbmc can apply cases to your movies if this is why your using starkcovers

Otherwise do what enoklinger said delete them from the search window
Bump from a old post, but it's the same issue:
Please, I have no idea how to make the folder.jpg work:

My movie library is like:

\\v1\Videos\A Scanner Darkly
\\v1\Videos\Alien
\\v1\Videos\Aliens

The files inside each folders are:
A.Scanner.Darkly.2006.720p.HDDVD.x264-lawrywild.mkv
folder.jpg
movie.tbn (the same as folder, just changed the extension)
(...)

The \\v1\Videos\ directory is marked as movies (with the movieDB), use folder names for lookups is ON, selected folder contains a single video is ON.

But still, there is no way to make xbmc load my folder.jpg. He insists on get a thumb from the movie file. Already deleted the cache from C:\Users\<myuser>\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\Thumbnails, but it always regenerate the thumb.

What am I doing wrong??
Try reading Post#2 - 2nd para.
aristofeles Wrote:The \\v1\Videos\ directory is marked as movies (with the movieDB),... ...selected folder contains a single video is ON.

This may be unrelated to the issue but if you have your source set at the
\\v1\Videos\ directory
and
this directory contains many movies (in separate folders or not)
then
selected folder contains a single video should be set to OFF
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Kingston rebates and ASUS warranties are WORTHLESS FRAUDS
are you running a recursive scan?
Proper Usage of a debug log
If I managed to help you in any way, please add to my reputation

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I've given up. folder.jpg just not working...0