Slow menu?
My menu looks like it has a low framerate but debugger shows a high framerate. Still it is very jerky, anyone who has a clue to how to fix it?
maybe some more information? what machine, what skin etc...
Sorry, Amd Quad core, 780G, 2GB RAM, win 7 pro 64-bit and Mediastream redux. Debugger shows fast framerates up to 60fps.
What version of XBMC?
Living Room: ASUS Chromebox / OpeneElec 5 / Kodi 14.2
Bedroom: Amazon FireTV Stick / Kodi 14.2
Home Office: Amazon FireTV Stick / Kodi 14.2
Windows Server: Intel Core i3-2100T / 8GB Ram / 48TB / MySQL / StableBit DrivePool on Server 2012 R2 Standard
You might have other issue, but try this if you have not tried it already! It might help :-)

Try and Disable "Vertical blank sync" in Settings_> System_> Video Output IF you have "Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen" enabled.

Otherwise Disable Both "Vertical blank sync" and "Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen" then you should see huge improvement. Note by disabling "Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen" XBMC will minimize everytime it loses focus.

I personally use the setup below which gives me best video playback as I do not have any issues with menu smoothness whatever setup I use, but the setup below has best results in both Menus & media playback. Keep in mind it also depends on your system specs so if it works for me it might not for you :-)

Settings_> System_> Video Output_.
"Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen" DISABLED

"Vertical blank sync" Always enabled

Settings_> Video_> Playback_.
"Allow hardware acceleration (DXVA2)" ENABLED

"Adjust display refresh rate to match video" DISABLED

"Sync Playback to display" ENABLED

"A/V sync method" [Video clock (Drop/Dupe audio)]

"Allowed error in aspect ratio to minimize black bars" [8%]

My main system is very powerful with latest hardware tech but I could not make video playback smooth when "Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen" is Enabled I have tried so many different scenarios with no luck!

Cheers,
EG.
Thank you very much indeed, EG! I will try your settings tonight.
I too had problems with smooth playback until I switched to "true fullscreen". Funny was that it was perfectly smooth when using 16-bit color, and even perfectly smooth when using 32-bit color with debugge on. But when I disabled the debugger, then the jerky playback returned.
Next thing, I will try your RC6 easy setup. Have not been able to customize my remote yet.
Those settings are very nice if you don't use SPDIF. The drop/dupe audio is very annoying in DD and DTS audio...
StevenSeagull Wrote:Those settings are very nice if you don't use SPDIF. The drop/dupe audio is very annoying in DD and DTS audio...

Yes this is true and its very annoying. I am using HDMI at the moment to avoid this issue but I hope the sound engine and Wasapi will be fixed when "eden [XBMC v.11]" is released then we will not have to use any "A/V sync method" I hope...

Cheers,
EG.
i have no clue what "Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen" is, can anyone explain?
What's your CPU doing when your in menus is it high ?

Have you disable Aero in win 7 because that's one thing you should do
krish_2k4 Wrote:i have no clue what "Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen" is, can anyone explain?

A fullscreen window is a maximised window running XBMC. You can use the little buttons on the top right to minimise and quit XBMC. A true fullscreen doesn't have the buttons and you have to quite XBMC to get back to explorer.exe (or use CTRL-ALT-DEL).

I used to get better performance on older computers when using true fullscreen rather than a window but I can't really see the difference these days.

There is probably some better technical explanation of the differences but I don't know it.
Openelec on ASRock ION 330 / Kodi on Win 7 PC
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=System_Settings

Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen
Windows: when active, do not use the DirectX fullscreen mode. The main benefit is for multi-screen configurations, where xbmc can be used at the same time as other applications without automatically minimizing. Uses a bit more resources and playback may be slightly less smooth.

Cheers,
EG.
Was it only the menu that ran slow?

The menu system ran amazingly slow for me (i.e. Low frame rate although the sound FX seemed to play OK). However If I waited long enough to play video or check system setting everything ran smoothly.

I tried disabling: Vertical blank sync and Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen but it didn't seem to help. I also disabled Windows Areo with little effect.

I'm Running windows 7 and had an older version of XBMC (can't remember what it was) installed on this computer before I put 10.1 on. I uninstalled XBMC (including profile settings) then reinstalled the XBMC 10.1. Everything appears to work great now.
elitegamer360 Wrote:http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=System_Settings

Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen
Windows: when active, do not use the DirectX fullscreen mode. The main benefit is for multi-screen configurations, where xbmc can be used at the same time as other applications without automatically minimizing. Uses a bit more resources and playback may be slightly less smooth.

Cheers,
EG.

I wonder if it's a good idea to allow switching to 'Fullscreen for playback only' would help?
Thumbs Up 
elitegamer360 Wrote:Try and Disable "Vertical blank sync" in Settings_> System_> Video Output IF you have "Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen" enabled.

Otherwise Disable Both "Vertical blank sync" and "Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen" then you should see huge improvement. Note by disabling "Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen" XBMC will minimize everytime it loses focus.

Thank you for posting this! I've been having persistent menu slowness and turning off V-sync helped my menus run much faster.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Slow menu?0