First HTPC, almost perfect
I've just assembled my first HTPC (specs in signature) and put W7 and XBMC on it. (for the moment I'm using the Night skin)

I'm starting to get it to perfectly suit my needs. Only a couple thing I can't get right, hope someone can help me.

1. I would like TV shows that have no more episodes to disapear from the screen. When I go into the TV Show library, I don't want to see the lilnks (banners or logo's depending on the view selected) to TV shows with no episodes in it (everything I have seen, I delete. I'm not a collector Laugh)

2. Is it possible to assign a button on my Harmony remote control (with MCE receiver) to the delete function, so that I don't have to click several times to delete a watched movie or episode. (now its "C" for the context menu, then navigate to delete from library, then yes twice)

3. Is there a VNC like program to control the HTPC from another PC? I've tried several (Logmein, ultraVNC,...) and none of them show the XBMC interface, the Windows desktop works fine.

4. When I insert a DVD into the drive, it doesn't start to play automaticly (I've checked the requierd box in the settings page) Also if I insert the DVD when XBMC is running, it doesn't get detected at all. When I have a DVD in the drive at boot time, XBMC detects it and I can manually start it.
There's another thread about this here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=7...post749210

Besides these things, I really like XBMC, much better then the Popcorn hour A110 it replaces.
I especially like the smart playlist and the ability to place them on the homescreen, look awsome.
Zotac ION ITX P-E
2GB RAM
1TB Samsung HD
Case: AOpen miniPC G518
Slot-in slimline DVD-drive
Logitech Harmony 555 with MCE receiver
2. Yes, this is possible! You can modify your keymap.xml file and assign "Delete" to any button you desire.

For Example:

Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <remote>
      <clear>Delete</clear>
    </remote>
  </global>
</keymap>
Works perfectly, thanks!

1 down, 3 to go :-)
Zotac ION ITX P-E
2GB RAM
1TB Samsung HD
Quote:1. I would like TV shows that have no more episodes to disapear from the screen. When I go into the TV Show library, I don't want to see the lilnks (banners or logo's depending on the view selected) to TV shows with no episodes in it (everything I have seen, I delete. I'm not a collector )

I have XBMC set to exit after a period of inactivity (in settings menu) and do a scan of the TV source when it starts up. You can add a section to advancedsettings.xml to clean the library when it does an update to delete old stuff. See http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Adv...library.3E

Code:
<videolibrary>
        <cleanonupdate>true</cleanonupdate>  <!-- default set to false to prevent xbmc from removing items from the database while updating -->
</videolibrary>

Quote:3. Is there a VNC like program to control the HTPC from another PC? I've tried several (Logmein, ultraVNC,...) and none of them show the XBMC interface, the Windows desktop works fine.

I'm not sure on this, but as I understand it openGL doesn't work through remote desktop and others so you dont get to see the XBMC interface on the remote machine. I have managed to get an unwatchable version up using ultraVNC but its not very easy to use.

I sometimes use XBMControl http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=38120 to play music remotely but haven't tried it with video or indeed under Dharma.

The android verison of XBMC remote works well too.
Openelec on ASRock ION 330 / Kodi on Win 7 PC
TL@TL@ Wrote:3. Is there a VNC like program to control the HTPC from another PC? I've tried several (Logmein, ultraVNC,...) and none of them show the XBMC interface, the Windows desktop works fine.

I use both LogMeIn (When outside the LAN) and Microsoft RDP (When inside the LAN) and they both display the XBMC interface. Sluggish yes, but that's to be expected.
Living Room: ASUS Chromebox / OpeneElec 5 / Kodi 14.2
Bedroom: Amazon FireTV Stick / Kodi 14.2
Home Office: Amazon FireTV Stick / Kodi 14.2
Windows Server: Intel Core i3-2100T / 8GB Ram / 48TB / MySQL / StableBit DrivePool on Server 2012 R2 Standard
TL@TL@ Wrote:I've just assembled my first HTPC (specs in signature) and put W7 and XBMC on it. (for the moment I'm using the Night skin)

1. I would like TV shows that have no more episodes to disapear from the screen. When I go into the TV Show library, I don't want to see the lilnks (banners or logo's depending on the view selected) to TV shows with no episodes in it (everything I have seen, I delete. I'm not a collector Laugh)

the following in your advance settings should do the tirck

Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <videolibrary>
        <hideemptyseries>true</hideemptyseries>
    </videolibrary>
</advancedsettings>
Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <videolibrary>
        <hideemptyseries>true</hideemptyseries>
    </videolibrary>
</advancedsettings>

This did it perfectly, thanks.

@ Philmatic: RDP doesn't work, tried all the different settings and it won't show XBMC. Same with logmein, strange it works voor you.

@rocketpants: It doesn't need to clean the database, since I only delete from within XBMC (normally), but its a nice feature wich I may use when I install a second XBMC machine in bedroom wich will also be allowed to delete files (that will probably be AT2 which I'll pick up when I'm in the States on holiday, way cheaper than here Nod)

The remote is not really what I'm looking for.

I have another question: for the moment i put to HTPC to sleep, no real shutdown, is it possible to start the PC from shutdown position with the remote?
Zotac ION ITX P-E
2GB RAM
1TB Samsung HD
Made another step forward. XBMC now starts-up as a shell in W7:
How to start XBMC as shell

I've set shortcuts to start/stop XBMC with F7 wich I mapped to a button on the Harmony remote.
F8 to restart the PC
F9 to shutdown the PC (power on/off puts into stand-by)
F10 if I want to see the W7 shel (explorer.exe)

Since its not possible to this with normal batch file (explorer.exe isn't started), i've created some scripts in Autohotkey and 1 script wich contains everything and I call that one as shell (accordingly to the tutorial)

This is what's in the global autohotkey script.

Code:
run "C:\Program Files\XBMC\XBMC.exe"

run "d:\F7_Start_Stop_XBMC.exe"
run "d:\F8_Herstarten.exe"
run "d:\F9_Afsluiten.exe"
run "d:\F10_Explorer.exe"

Pretty happy with it.

Only point 3 and 4 to go, especially point 4, the DVD problem is irritating and needs to be solved to increase the WAF Laugh
Zotac ION ITX P-E
2GB RAM
1TB Samsung HD
TL@TL@ Wrote:Made another step forward. XBMC now starts-up as a shell in W7:
How to start XBMC as shell

I've set shortcuts to start/stop XBMC with F7 wich I mapped to a button on the Harmony remote.
F8 to restart the PC
F9 to shutdown the PC (power on/off puts into stand-by)
F10 if I want to see the W7 shel (explorer.exe)

Since its not possible to this with normal batch file (explorer.exe isn't started), i've created some scripts in Autohotkey and 1 script wich contains everything and I call that one as shell (accordingly to the tutorial)

This is what's in the global autohotkey script.

Code:
run "C:\Program Files\XBMC\XBMC.exe"

run "d:\F7_Start_Stop_XBMC.exe"
run "d:\F8_Herstarten.exe"
run "d:\F9_Afsluiten.exe"
run "d:\F10_Explorer.exe"

Pretty happy with it.

Only point 3 and 4 to go, especially point 4, the DVD problem is irritating and needs to be solved to increase the WAF Laugh

Regarding your question 3. You can use LogMeIn fine, but you'll need to change XBMC to display in a full screen window. You can change this in the settings somewhere. I can't check now as I'm at work!

That'll do it for you though!!

The downside is you'll lose some performance, but this may not be a problem, depending on your HTPC and how much you need LogMeIn to work.

Failing that, when you take control with LogMeIn, press Alt + Enter on the keyboard, which will switch XBMC to Window mode, so you can control it. Then hit Alt + Enter again to switch back to full screen.

I hope this helps! Wink
OpenElec / Silverstone LC17 / 6TB / Toshiba 32WLT68

Get your freshly squeezed recipes, news and views at foodforfriendsyeah.co.uk!
In the addon-repo there is a library cleaner which cleans files after a specific amount of time or if you have watched it. This can make the delete-step on your side unecessary. Take a look into it.
Need help? Check out my XBMC Frodo Guide. It contains full featured guides to Sickbeard and CouchPotato as well.

Alt + Enter works great, thanks. It works with teamviewer as well (my prefered remote client), so I'm very happy with this.

I've seen the library cleaner in the add-on list but don't really care for it as I'm a control freak and this doesn't let me control things like I want. But thanks for the suggestion.

Only point 4 remaining:

Quote:4. When I insert a DVD into the drive, it doesn't start to play automaticly (I've checked the requierd box in the settings page) Also if I insert the DVD when XBMC is running, it doesn't get detected at all. When I have a DVD in the drive at boot time, XBMC detects it and I can manually start it.
There's another thread about this here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php...210#post749210
Zotac ION ITX P-E
2GB RAM
1TB Samsung HD
Try Teamviewer (as recommended by TL@TL@ Smile ). I use it and would definitely recommend it.
Go to old versions and use V5 - V6 leaves a box after disconnect stating that 'this has been a sponsored session' (because it's free for personal use) but I dont think version 5 does this. Install the client on your HTPC and the full version on the PC you are going to connect to it from.

Vorm

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
First HTPC, almost perfect0