FF/RW 'skip-time' adjustment from GUI or XML
that is awesome news kraqh3d! is it possible that your changes can make their way into a release? i think you're going to make a lot of ppl very happy :bowdown:.
i'd personally favour setting reasonable defaults (eg 30 secs forward for "small skip" and 7 secs backward for small back skip and not have options in the gui - either that or we really have to start thinking about dividing the settings into advanced and normal as there are already too many that overwhelm general users.

we can always make it adjustable to advanced users in settings.xml

cheers,
jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

i already said my point, looks like i'll need to repeat myself ;(

what we have now works fine, has for a very long time. if we're going to change it, course of action is simple:

keep current defaults as new defaults

other than that, knock yourself out
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

@tasty:

i never said i would be committing any changes. there are probably files that cant be seeked using mplayer's native time based seeking ability because they lack timecode information. it's open source so you're free to enable time based seeking in your own build. just dont expect support from these forums.

@pike, jmarshall:

i agree with both of you.

the percentage based seeking should remain the default. a simple boolean option of "use time base seeking" could be added to the settings. i'm not in favour of making the values directly configurable via the gui.

the values could be kept in settings.xml. advanced users can then alter the them by manually editting settings.xml and/or mplayer's input.conf.
i didn't mean to jump the gun. you'll notice that i'm only asking the question, not assuming that it'll be in a release. so there are other issues -

1. the [settings] gui should not be changed - i completely agree, i think kraqh3d's suggestion of a boolean only and the actual time values in settings.xml would be superb.

2. not all files have timecode info, so time-based skips wouldn't work for those files - fair enough, not mush can be done about that.

i know that development work on xbmc is all done by the goodness of a lot of peoples hearts. i'm a member of a silent horde who thanks you guys for all your hard work to give us a product that ms completely failed to see a market for (playing catchup with mce, clowns). i don't have the ability to make my own release sadly, so it's back to the development team if this is going to move forward. if the change is worthy i hope you will consider it for a future build, if not well at least we chatted about it and i appreciate your time. this is the 'feature suggestions' forum after all Smile ...

cheers,
tasty.
it's in cvs... see http://manual.xboxmediacenter.de/wakka.p...ging&v=4s6 for advanced configuration
hey kraqh3d, sounds fantasic. i expect that i need a new xbmc build? i tried just the config change and it didn't work, settings.xml gets overwritten and the new settings removed (even when changed without xbmc running). any particular build date i should look for? or just one with a date > today? Smile thanks mate.

tasty.
you need a build thats atleast from today. anonymous cvs lags behind a bit. you wont have those options in your settings.xml until you run a build that supports it. (it'll add them automatically with the default values.)
Thumbs Up 
outstanding, many thanks again for implementing this feature! i can't wait to get a new build, cheers kraqh3d!

:kickass:

tasty.
hey guy. thanks! i started this thread (before it was taken over) a couple months ago and am sooo happy it's been implemented. the only question i have is wether or not you can customize the 'small step backward' as well?
Thumbs Up 
thank you kraqh3d! :bowdown: ...though any chance of changing cvs defaults for time based seeking to 5 minutes for big step and 30 seconds for small step?, please Rolleyes
hey guys, if you read through the new manual page you'll see that you can change the values to what you want yourself (so does the default need to be changed?) and yes you can change both the big and small steps forwards and backwards (4 settings). i've tested the new version and it works really well.
Exclamation 
(tasty @ may 10 2005,09:33 Wrote:you can change the values to what you want yourself (so does the default need to be changed?)
yes i think the default should be changed a bit, because 5-minutes is about the same as a dvd-video/movie chapter and 30-seconds is about the same as a commersial Confusedaint:
if you want to change the defaults, lets run a poll.  i'd been using 1 and 10 minutes in my own personal builds for a while now, so i just formalized the changes and committed them.

but as tasty said, is this necessary?  it's very easy to change the values.  i made sure the procedure was well documented.

oki, poll posted here (link) Confusedaint:

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
FF/RW 'skip-time' adjustment from GUI or XML0