How to back up all XBMC settings?
I am having a terrible time with Netflix locking up. I'd like to try resetting my Apple TV 2 to default settings, then re-jailbreak and reinstall XBMC. Is it simply a matter of backing the userdata folder (like I used to do on XBOX1)
Pretty much. Just make sure that when you go to upload your backup userdata, that you log in with mobile/alpine so the correct ownership is set.

If you are having Netflix issues, try manually setting your ATV dns to google's 8.8.8.8 and test if it's any better. I had issues with using opendns. Search the apple support forum for a long thread about the problem.
Cool - I'll run the backup like that.

Netflix wouldn't even start at at using my TimeWarner DNS (suspicious!). I did end up switching to 8.8.8.8, and things do start playing, but it keeps freezing for 10 seconds or so every few minutes. The screen just freezes - there is no buffering screen, no spinning wheel, nothing. Is this normal? Should there be some sort of signal that it is buffering? (It shouldn't be buffering anyway though - I have a consistent 10+ Meg download speed, and Netflix works fine on every other device on my network.

Any idea how to see the results of the speed test within Apple TV? When I run the test, it doesn't show me any results. What's the point if I can't see any results?

Thanks for the help!
Oops - maybe I won't do a factory restore. Right before I clicked "OK", I realized that it said the newest AppleTV software would be downloaded and installed automatically. Definitely don't want to do that until XBMC is working properly on 4.3!
MartyNg, Apple reenabled signing for 4.2.1. So it's a great time to install Tiny Umbrella to save your shsh blob. Then download 4.2.1 from the internet and hold down option+click restore or shift+restore on Win. It'll ping Apple's signing server and Apple will give it permission to do the restore.

I don't think you can see the output of the speedtest. The result probably gets uploaded to Apple or something. I don't know.

Try using the program to find the fastest dns server from your location: http://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

And then add that dns ip address into the ATV2 and see if netflix improves any. You have a few things to test there. Good luck.
Okay, I used TinyUmbrella to backup my SHSH - There were some things that said I was too late for, but I did get 4.2.1 4.3 and 4.3.1 Is one of these the one that will allow me to downgrade after I try upgrading? (Hopefully XBMC starts working properly in the newer firmware instead of everyone having to worry about this). Thank you!
Yup, 4.2.1 is the current supported firmware. So now that you have your shsh blob save, you can always restore back to 4.2.1.

Obviously, you see that TU also backed up 4.3 and 4.3.1 for you. So that means you can restore to those as well.

With your blob saved, you can use the internet to download the 4.2.1 firmware and use the option/shift click on the restore button from within iTunes to restore back to a factory fresh 4.2.1. Then you can test Netflix again.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to back up all XBMC settings?0