XBMC not playing any video files!
I have just built a HP DC7900 to use as a media centre, as my old Xbox1+XBMC has served it's purpose. However I am getting problems getting XBMC to play any video files avi/mp4/h.264/mkv etc. Boxee, VLC and WMP play everything fine. When I try to play the file - nothing happens; however, If I FastForward/Rewind I can see all the frames. But once you stop and choose play it might play a single frame, then it stays frozen. I have tried different resolutions and even set the desktop resolution at 720p.

I have also tried toggling different settings and combinations i.e. de-interlace=disabled/auto, H/W acceleration (DVXA2), Sync Playback to display and Match the Refresh rate etc. I have read on the forum that DVXA2 is only for nVidia based chipsets - so left that off for the time-being.

The file in the log is being played from an external drive attached via USB. The display is a Pioneer PDP-435XDE 43" Plasma capable of 1080i and connected via Displayport HDMI adapter on the DC7900. I have not connected the sound yet as there is no optical out and looking for suitable devices. I have hit a blank wall and really need to get this video issue fixed before doing anything else and any help/advice will be most welcome!

System: E8400 @3.0GHz Core 2 Duo
Graphics: Intel Q45 Chipset. GMA 4500. Driver version: 8.15.10.2202
RAM: 4GB
XBMC 10.1

Debug Log: http://pastebin.com/p7NqUVXB
Media Info: http://pastebin.com/dWx9RaRr
It's a problem with the audio output. This can happen if Windows decides no speakers/headphones are connected. It seems odd that an audio problem should cause the video to freeze, but it's an, erm, feature of DirectX. Try plugging a pair of headphones into your PC and it will probably work.

Check the audio settings and make sure they are correct for whatever method you're using to play the audio.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:It's a problem with the audio output. This can happen if Windows decides no speakers/headphones are connected. It seems odd that an audio problem should cause the video to freeze, but it's an, erm, feature of DirectX. Try plugging a pair of headphones into your PC and it will probably work.

Check the audio settings and make sure they are correct for whatever method you're using to play the audio.

JR

Thanks JR! yep, that sorted the problem - I updated the drivers. I was being foolish and lazy for not troubleshooting this. I hope nobody will be mind, if I ask a few more questions. Otherwise it will be a waste of a thread ;--))

I am looking to get this: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/106540 in order to get a SPDIF optical port and feed sound to my Yamaha RXV750 - as the onboard ADI chipset is not going to cut it for me. I know that some people have used it on their older Revo's - which did not come with an optical port to do the same. Anybody envisage any problems?

All help/advice much appreciated.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC not playing any video files!0