Completely new to XBMC, need some basic advice
Hello all,

I joined up as I am looking to build my first media centre, and want to do some research before buying the Hardware.

I plan to build a low-medium cost system, I have done a little digging and decided to start speccing up a system, but really need some input.

First of all I live in China, very close to HK so low cost parts are generally easy to find.

I would like to use a Foxconn H67S mainboard, and Intel i3 processor in order to take advantage of the on board HD graphics and negate the need for a separate GFX card.
Also, I would like to use a SSD hard drive for the OS, and a large capacity hybrid for storage.
I am thinking about 4gb of RAM, fanless CPU cooler and a half decent case with quiet fans.

Firstly, can someone give me some feedback on my choices as I have only ever built computers for gaming and general use before.
Secondly, I plan to use Ubuntu as I would like to learn to use Linux and I like what I hear about the general stability.

Secondly, I have cable TV with HD channels in my apartment, and would like to link this to the box.
I know very little about cable tv transmission, is it possible to decode all the channels? I realise that it is illegal, so I wont ask anyone for a how to!

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Tom
Hi Tom

I'm about to venture on the same journey as you. I already got the parts (only waiting for the case). I settled for an i5 2400S/Asus H67 Evo combo (you have the exact specs here). I didn't dare go entirely fan less partly because of the profile of the case. Too low for accommodating fan less cooling. The i3 should be more than enough for handling your needs as long as you're not planning on any serious gaming Cool

The SSD is definitely the way to go and 4GB RAM is well enough.

I'm a Windows guy so I can't give you much input on Ubuntu other than it should be quite hassle free getting xbmc up and running. Nod

As for cable TV there's a lot of regional differences but here (Sweden) it's next to impossible to integrate into your HTPC, at least if you want to keep your HD channels intact, since the cable companies here use pairing between SIM cards and boxes. Sad

.håkan
håkan, good luck with the build! this certainly seems to be the place to be for guidance.

I have found some good information, and revised my spec massively after reading some posts on here.
So please excuse my ignorance previously,

Revised Spec
Small SSD drive
Asus EN210/DI/512MD2(LP) - 512MB DDR2 PCI-E DVI-I HD...
2GB 2x1GB HyperX DDR3-1333
ATHLON II X2 255 3.1GHZ - SKT AM3 L2/L3 2MB 65W
500GB CAVIAR GP 32MB - SATA/300 8.9MS 7200RPM
ASRock 880GM-LE Motherboard AMD Socket AM3 AMD
LiteOn iHOS104 4X Blu-Ray BDROM/RE/RDL/REDL
Micro Fusion Remote 350/Micro Atx Media Center

So some feedback would be good, I'm not sure of the GFX card is too great?
Misterbashi Wrote:håkan, good luck with the build! this certainly seems to be the place to be for guidance.
Thanx and the same to you. And yes, it sure is DA place :p
Quote:I have found some good information, and revised my spec massively after reading some posts on here.
So please excuse my ignorance previously,

Revised Spec
Small SSD drive
Asus EN210/DI/512MD2(LP) - 512MB DDR2 PCI-E DVI-I HD...
2GB 2x1GB HyperX DDR3-1333
ATHLON II X2 255 3.1GHZ - SKT AM3 L2/L3 2MB 65W
500GB CAVIAR GP 32MB - SATA/300 8.9MS 7200RPM
ASRock 880GM-LE Motherboard AMD Socket AM3 AMD
LiteOn iHOS104 4X Blu-Ray BDROM/RE/RDL/REDL
Micro Fusion Remote 350/Micro Atx Media Center

So some feedback would be good, I'm not sure of the GFX card is too great?
Take a look here. Many here seem to prefer the passively cooled GT430.

The Athlon most likely suits your needs as well (tho I have no personal experience). I went the Sandy Bridge way for - hopefully - not needing a dedicated GFX card.

.håkan

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Completely new to XBMC, need some basic advice0