what software is people using to play bluray?
I am planning on building an HTPC with a bluray drive. From what I understand there are 3 options in terms of software to play bluray:

Cyberlink Power DVD
Arcsoft True Media Theater
Corel WinDVD

Which one is the best?
altho i never tried it yet,
latest XBMC should be able to play unEncryted Bluray Discs by now...

And for Encrypted Bluray Discs,
you'll need the help of a copy-protection remover such ANYDVD-HD...

Also, theres a Bluray Plugin for XBMC that works with MakeMKV...
see here --> http://lifehacker.com/#!5621471/how-to-e...ck-in-xbmc
eskro Wrote:altho i never tried it yet,
latest XBMC should be able to play unEncryted Bluray Discs by now...

And for Encrypted Bluray Discs,
you'll need the help of a copy-protection remover such ANYDVD-HD...

Also, theres a Bluray Plugin for XBMC that works with MakeMKV...
see here --> http://lifehacker.com/#!5621471/how-to-e...ck-in-xbmc

Thank you eskro. Much better than paying $50 for PowerDVD!
no problem good luck
eskro Wrote:no problem good luck

Now I just have to find me a slim bluray drive thats reasonably priced. Why does it seem like there are not many options? Most of the slim bd drives I found have been discontinued (Sony, LG).
I use PowerDVD to playback Blu-ray. I have XBMC configured with the Launcher plugin to launch PowerDVD - and PowerDVD set to always play in full screen.

The other solutions require ripping/reencoding the movie first, instead of just popping it in and hitting play.
ZOTAC PR, i've read that the latest XBMC now plays unEncrypted Bluray Discs...
Altho u dont get the MEnu and stuff, they movie itself will play!

And like i said, if the disc is protected,
with the help of ANYDVD-HD, XBMC will be able to play the movie...

but again, without getting the MEnu and Extras...
and thats because XBMC is free and it would need to be a pay-able app
to allow use to see BD Menus and Extras...
and that wont ever happen,, at least i think Tongue
ZOTAC PR Wrote:The other solutions require ripping/reencoding the movie first, instead of just popping it in and hitting play.

Ripping isn't that bad. Once you do it you just have to hit play.

AnyDVD HD is real time no need to rip.
I've been using the Blu-ray plugin that works with MakeMKV... it works pretty well, I really like it.

But the ANYDVD option sounds even better (I don't care about menus or extras)... but how does it handle Blu-rays with episodes, say for instance one of the Dexter Blu-rays I've got at the house from Netflix right now? Will it allow you to browse the streams or will it just play the biggest stream?
with the Blu-ray MakeMKV plugin, you can browse to the stream u want manually Tongue
poofyhairguy Wrote:Ripping isn't that bad. Once you do it you just have to hit play.

Yes but if your XBMC system has a small boot SSD - it won't fit and ripping to a network location isn't ideal for speed reasons Smile.
No need to rip, MakeMKV has some kind of http stream system integrated.
ZOTAC PR Wrote:Yes but if your XBMC system has a small boot SSD - it won't fit and ripping to a network location isn't ideal for speed reasons Smile.
These are symptoms of a poorly thought out system. Why is your BR drive in the htpc at all? It should be in your NAS - speed problem solved.
ZOTAC PR Wrote:ripping to a network location isn't ideal for speed reasons Smile.

If you have a good enough network you can pass Blu Ray files back and forth on it all day without any trouble. Its what I do almost daily.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
what software is people using to play bluray?0