Need Help with ATVFlash vs SeasonPass
I just purchased four atv2 for $79 each. (Good deal)

I just want to install XBMC onto it and be able to take advantage of the new airplay feature. I read about (atvflash/seasonpass/greenpoison), can anyone briefly comment on the benefit of these programs? atvflash is the only one that cost $$ and the other two are free. I have used xbmc on my macs/pc for years.

thanks
any of them would allow you to use xbmc on it. if you are on 4.3 I would suggest you downgrade immediately and save your shsh blobs as xbmc only runs nicely on 4.2.1.

google for tinyumbrella for shsh and use Pwnagetool for everything else

4.2.1 is where you want to be, once you are there visit http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=137 for any other issues you have regarding xbmc, no JB talk in there though Smile
atr675 Wrote:I just purchased four atv2 for $79 each. (Good deal)

I just want to install XBMC onto it and be able to take advantage of the new airplay feature. I read about (atvflash/seasonpass/greenpoison), can anyone briefly comment on the benefit of these programs? atvflash is the only one that cost $$ and the other two are free. I have used xbmc on my macs/pc for years.

- No real need to pay for any software (unless you want last.fm or couchersurfer like keith said). Pwnagetool gives you the most control and I find it easier to jb with. Greenpois0n works well but it's trickier to get into DFU mode. Last time I used Seas0npass it downloaded the latest firmware to jailbreak (rather than letting me pick the version) so I don't use it anymore.

- Like amet said, download Tiny Umbrella and save your 4.2.1 SHSH blobs ASAP (before Apple stops signing them) so you can downgrade to it whenever you want. If you miss the window you'll never be able to install 4.2.1 again. EDIT: Apple stopped signing 4.2.1 once (so you couldn't get your SHSH blobs) BUT then they started signing it again (likely because of bugs in 4.3). Since 4.3.1 has now been released, if Apple's still signing 4.2.1 it won't be for long so anyone without 4.2.1 blobs saved should try ASAP and ignore anyone telling you it's not possible - verify for yourself. They'll likely stop signing 4.2.1 in early April 2011.

- If you want to use iOS 4.3 you won't be able to play HD content (XBMC crashes, EDIT: it has been fixed in most recent unofficial nightlies). 4.3 will also be a tethered jb so you'll need to attach it to a computer to boot it whenever you power it off. The upside is MLB/NBA is on 4.3, as is Dolby Digital 5.1 for Netflix, and Airplay for apps/websites.

- Most people are using iOS 4.2.1 since it's an unthethed jb and it will play h264/x264 content. Most feel the updates in 4.3 aren't significant enough to justify living with a tethered jb and losing the ability to play HD. Apps and websites haven't really started to use Airplay much yet so you wouldn't be missing much there. Likely by the end of April 2011 there'll be an untethered jb for 4.3.1 and the unofficial nightly builds will be safe enough for most to use on 4.3.1.

- Off topic discussions (including jailbreaking): http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=113

- XBMC for iOS questions/info: http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=137
Actually guys if you are on 4.3 with no blobs you're screwed. Apple stopped signing 4.2.1 a while ago so the window is closed.

Just going to have to wait for a 4.3 untether and xbmc to update to that version (which I hear may be a bit as Apple changed how they decode x264 or some such).

Other than his, jd2157 has provided some good info. EDIT: I also assume you are on 4.2.1 now and don't have blobs. This means you should NOT flash using pwnagetool. It will fail and you will be up the creek. Seasonpass or whatever is the same thing. DONT use it at this point if you have no 4.2.1 blobs. Greenpois0n is your best option right now.

Good luck!
anethema Wrote:Actually guys if you are on 4.3 with no blobs you're screwed. Apple stopped signing 4.2.1 a while ago so the window is closed.

Just going to have to wait for a 4.3 untether and xbmc to update to that version (which I hear may be a bit as Apple changed how they decode x264 or some such).

Other than his, jd2157 has provided some good info. EDIT: I also assume you are on 4.2.1 now and don't have blobs. This means you should NOT flash using pwnagetool. It will fail and you will be up the creek. Seasonpass or whatever is the same thing. DONT use it at this point if you have no 4.2.1 blobs. Greenpois0n is your best option right now.

Good luck!

You sure of that?? Smile

Apple was signing 4.2.1 one hour ago
Keep in mind apples version numbers are totally screwed for ATV2. They dont match the iOS version they really are.

4.2.1 iOS version will say 4.1.1 on the ATV. 8F202 is the latest 4.3.1 software, which is being served up as 4.2.1 by apple. This is being signed (as it is latest) and is not jailbreakable (at least untethered).

Confusingly the real 4.2.1 (8C154) is also being served up as 4.2.1 by apple. The file name says 4.2.1 but on the apple tv it will say 4.1.1. This is jailbreakable with greenpois0n. This is NO longer being signed. Without these blobs you arent going to get this version.

This is confusing I know and Apple has totally munged all these version numbers. But watch out as the REAL jailbreakable 4.2.1 window, is now closed.
anethema Wrote:Keep in mind apples version numbers are totally screwed for ATV2. They dont match the iOS version they really are.

4.2.1 iOS version will say 4.1.1 on the ATV. 8F202 is the latest 4.3.1 software, which is being served up as 4.2.1 by apple. This is being signed (as it is latest) and is not jailbreakable (at least untethered).

Confusingly the real 4.2.1 (8C154) is also being served up as 4.2.1 by apple. The file name says 4.2.1 but on the apple tv it will say 4.1.1. This is jailbreakable with greenpois0n. This is NO longer being signed. Without these blobs you arent going to get this version.

This is confusing I know and Apple has totally munged all these version numbers. But watch out as the REAL jailbreakable 4.2.1 window, is now closed.

I will not argue this but will tell you one more time, 4.2.1(8c154) is being signed by apple , try it and prove me wrong Smile
jd2157 Wrote:- Don't pay for any software. Pwnagetool gives you the most control and I find it easier to jb with. Greenpois0n works well but it's trickier to get into DFU mode. Last time I used Seas0npass it downloaded the latest firmware to jailbreak (rather than letting me pick the version) so I don't use it anymore.

Keep in mind, the ATV Flash guys do add value, they have last.fm and couchsurfer. If you have no use for either (and some other private stuff I think) then don't bother, but these guys gave Davilla his first two ATV2's so I feel the need to support them a little, plus they make good stuff.

Also ATV Flash isn't a JB app, it's the payware firecore addon. Seas0npass is their free JB tool.
I just downgraded from 4.3 to 4.2.1 two nights ago; however, Tiny Umbrella would not let me save my blobs. Oh well..
amet, apologies you are right. It is closed for every single device except apple tv it appears.

http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/...losed.html

he doesnt mention apple tv but I just pulled a 4.2.1 cert for a fake ECID device from apple directly. Looks like 8C154 is being signed though.

My mistake, get your blobs right away! Then flash using pwnagetool Big Grin
thanks everyone for helping. I manage to shsh (4.2.1, 4.3) and install jailbreak+xbmc on my atv2. Those are the basic things I need.

I spend approx 12 hrs... I was having problem with windows while jailbreaking so I switch to a mac.

Another reason was the ios v4.2.1 is using "software" v4.1.1 (totally different things) I kept on getting them wrong.
jsun311 Wrote:I just downgraded from 4.3 to 4.2.1 two nights ago; however, Tiny Umbrella would not let me save my blobs. Oh well..

If you were able to downgrade to 4.2.1 you should've been able to save your blobs. I'd take a close look at some of the tutorials re: saving SHSH blobs and give it another try.

The Tiny Umbrella logs should let you know what's going on. Best to copy/paste any errors here to see if someone can make sense of them. Anything really long should be done via pastebin.com.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need Help with ATVFlash vs SeasonPass0