Recommend a NAS for XBMC
Can you run Sabnzbd, couchPotato, and Sickbeard on any of these NAS solutions?

For me, that's the big question. If I can run all 3 easily, and be able to update them via their web interfaces as normal, then there is no reason to run windows 7 on it.

From the point of view of the other computers on the network, what would be the differences between a NAS or a windows 7 PC sharing drives? Lets assume the Win7 machine is running a similar RAID array as you would find on a NAS.

ie, would the NAS solutions be faster? Would the network shares show up the same? Can any of these solutions be setup to sleep until they are accessed, and then wake up automatically?

Thanks
Sabnzbd and Sickbeard run on readynas. Not sure about couchpotatoe.

The difference between getting a dedicated nas like the readynas and the freenas is that it has an expandable RAID array with hot swap when you need to upgrade your discs. I most likely also consumes less power than the equivalent PC homebrew.
unRaid can run any of those. It automatically transcodes all of my content using HandBrakeCLI in the background. You get storage geared towards media (few concurrent users accessing large files that are written once and read many times) instead of business content (small file, high concurrency) or database (write-heavy) access.
I have a Synology DS410j that works really well. Has a really great web interface, too. It's cheap, and fits up to 8tb and can do any type of raid you want - I have raid 5. I am running couchpotato, sickbeard, and sabnzbd on there, all of the web interfaces work fine. I've notice that sometimes if I have a moderately large queue on sabnzbd it will slow things down enough that the web interfaces are really slow to load, but its variable so I'm not exactly what the issue is. The box only has 128mb of ram so it's not very surprising. There is a big modding scene on the synology forums so there is a lot of potential with these boxes. The only things I would change about my box if i could would be slightly more ram - I think 250mb would do it - and add WOL capacity. More expensive synology models have it, just not the 410j. It has a gb network connection and I've never had any trouble streaming, even with most of my house of 10 people all with their own accounts and I'm sure there have been times when many of them have been streaming at the same time.
I use QNAP 419p+ with 8tb in Raid 5.

Works nicely and has a great interface but the included drives are pretty loud.
The best storage is based on unRAID. It's hardware agnostic. I've personally replaced the motherboard 4 times in one of my servers. I like to tinker. None of the other options are that forgiving.

Shameless plug for my server store: http://www.queegtech.com
FreeNAS.

http://www.freenas.org
zag2me Wrote:I use QNAP 419p+ with 8tb in Raid 5.

Works nicely and has a great interface but the included drives are pretty loud.

8TB in Raid5? 4 drive unit right? I assume they upgraded the firmware to allow 3+TB drives?
Software: XBMC "Dharma" w/ AEON MQ2 // Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Hardware: GIGABYTE GA-MA78LMT-S2 // ASUS ENGT430/DI/1GD3(LP) GeForce GT 430 // G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH // AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz // Antec MicroFusion Remote 350
OpenIndiana or Solaris 11 Express running an encrypted raidz3 tank on a storage pool of 9 disks FTW
I'm using a synology DS411j. Been using it to stream my video to my popcornhour using NFS, map to my window machine and using it via webDAV on the IOS port of xbmc its great. i do all my download and stuff using the nas so my pc is seldom on. really recommend it.
Synology DS411j and a Freenas setup, in a cheap £100 HP microserver (booting from USB and the HP is v. quiet.)

Doing it all again, Id go the Freenas route... but the synology certainly offers some good features.

PS. NFS performs better on both setups....
QNAP is the only nas worth buying if we aren't talking real professional storage..

unRAID is a decent software raid.
FreeNAS is good but the ZFS implementation is not as up-to-date and as stable as In Solaris/OI/Belenix/Schillix/Nexenta.

Moreover if you intend to use SMB/CIFS for file sharing (which is the file sharing protocol used in Windows in contrast to NFS which is the native linux/unix Network File System which was originally developed by Sun Microsystems the company behind Solaris) over the network, Solaris based operating systems will have a better performance simply because CIFS is in the Solaris kernel whereas SMB is in the userland in FreeBSD/FreeNAS.

The current downside to OpenSolaris et al is that it doesn't have as neat a WebGUI as the FreeNAS. But it has webmin and napp-it which should suit most webadmins needs. I personally use ssh and sometimes vnc which works very well for me.

There also used to be WebGUI for Solaris, which I don't know how well it is supported in Solaris 11 but it has been removed from OpenSolaris/OpenIndiana based distros. Otherwise Nexenta offers a good WebGUI that is simple to use. The only downside to this is that if you want to use Nexenta (NexentaStor community edition) for free you are only allowed to host a maximum of 18TB on the file server. The other distros have no such limits. It can also be worth mentioning that napp-it also comes from Nexenta.
Anyone have any experience working with the LLNL, KQ Infotech implementations of ZFS under Linux?

http://zfsonlinux.org/
http://kqstor.com/

Apparently a combination of the two will give you a viable, mountable ZFS [non-FUSE] implementation under Linux. I mean to test it out, but haven't yet had a chance.

----------------------------------------------------------

Some source info:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=ar...gold&num=1
http://jimcollier.blogspot.com/2011/02/w...th-of.html
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
Just got the throw my 2p's worth in here.

I've got a Stora 1TB and I regret buying it very often.

First of all you HAVE to register it online or you can't use it. I've had it bricked about 3 times now by firmware updates. Alright the support forum guys are quite quick to fix it but faced with the prospect of losing all your glorious media it sure makes your palms sweat No

You're tied into using their file structure and you can only do mirrored raid on it which is limited to 2TB.

I certainly won't be keeping it for long.

All that being said since it was last bricked (this weekend) and I spent a while getting the latest firmware on it v2.5.1 it has been ok. I'm just not holding my breath until next time it goes wrong.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recommend a NAS for XBMC0