Please help setting everything up!
OK so I do not have any experience setting a home media server up. I could use any help that you guys can give.

Im not too sure what is needed so I'll just give an overview of everything i think i need.

I have my house wired with some cat5 cable that is connected to my linksys router in the basement.

I want to install this on either windows or linux I have experience with both so that doesn't matter. I don't have an xbox or PS3 or anything like that so I think I have to use my acer aspire one netbook or my gateway laptop. Both of my laptops don't have a DVI or HDMI connections though. How can I set this up so I can view my movie content in 1080p on my TV's? I also have an old desktop computer that I guess I can use. I found an nvidia video card with an HDMI connector that I can buy for 40 bucks. What is your opinions on which one I should use beside the TV?

Now for the file server. I have my desktop in my bedroom that has 2 TB's of space on it with high end graphics card and some other things. It is a gaming rig so im sure it has the specs needed to be able to push the content over my wired network. How do I set this network up. I have been playing around with XBMC and the files show up in the video section as just video ts and video vod. I got the thumbnails, actor information, and movie information to show up but it just doesnt feel right yet. How do I rip the movies to my computer for XBMC to be able to play the file right? I have been using any dvd to just rip the movie to my computer?

Here is what I am thinking. I want to use XBMC to be able to play my home movie collection, view my home picture collection, and my home music collection. I also want to be able to pull youtube videos and hulu content. (if that is both possible)

Sorry for the wall of text.

Please let me know what I need to do.
Please help me set everything up!!
Your help is greatly appreciated!!
I think the best way to approach this would be to break it into chunks I would leave it up to you as to where you wanted to start. There are a few items that I have seen on the forums that may be of interest to you, I will see if I can find them and post links.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=90953 (windows beginners guide)

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=79148 (video addon repository includes hulu not sure if it is working I have used it in the past)

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Ins..._for_Linux (Linux install info XBMC Wiki)

I am assuming that you all ready have some media on your drives you are going to want to make sure they are named correctly so xbmc can scrape them correctly to get fan art, box art and other info.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...tart_Guide

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=79487 (You Tube addon, I think there are several more but I am not sure)

I would also recommend getting your feet wet using the confluence skin as it is the default and finding settings follows a logical path

Hope this helps
Proper Usage of a debug log
If I managed to help you in any way, please add to my reputation
Hudson_Hawk04 Wrote:I think the best way to approach this would be to break it into chunks I would leave it up to you as to where you wanted to start. There are a few items that I have seen on the forums that may be of interest to you, I will see if I can find them and post links.

I agree, break it into chunks, my HTPC setup has evolved over the past 4 years.

For me I have a server which is a Windows Home Server on an older p4 with soon to be 4TB of storage. All (3) XBMC installs are on various Windows OS from XP, Vista, Windows 7.

There is a lot of information and guides out there for doing each step. It may take some time tooling how you want your XBMC installs to behave.

It really doesn't cost a lot of money to make a really good home theater system, or a huge powerful computer for XBMC to run 1080p content to work.

I am constantly tweaking, adding and subtracting my whole HTPC experience. Which I and the whole family love.

Good luck with your rig and ask questions as needed in this forum, which is where I have learned most of my stuff.
I have a server that was some what free. Som one gave me a Tyan server board and on ebay for $100 got 8gb of ram and for another $25 two opteron 280 (dual core) 2.8ghz.

I did spend $250 on a new Coolmaster ATCS 840 got some new fans etc. Needed a new case old one was 10+ years old and hard to work on.

I been buying 2tb drives for it. My goal is 20tb when done. I have a laptop with a Celron T400 dual core 2ghz running xbmc with VGA out put to my HDTV.

One day I will build an HTPC but I rather fill my server up with hard drives first. Laptop handles video's fine and it looks awesome on my TV.
damn wish I had the cash for 20tb now I am jealous Smile sounds like you have the hardware pretty much covered. Have you decided which platform to go with? I will try to help you where ever I can.
Proper Usage of a debug log
If I managed to help you in any way, please add to my reputation

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Please help setting everything up!0