Why does XBMC show DVD rips as 15:9 AR?
I had some DVD rips (VOBs /IFOs) that always showed as having an aspect ratio of 15:9 in XBMC. I used Hanbrake to re-encode them to MKV to save hard drive space, and at the same time thinking this would fix XBMC displaying the incorrect resolution but it still doesn't. Most of them are 720x480 (isnt that 16:9 ?), when they are scanned into the library they are displayed as 15:9. After they are played though, it changes to 2:35:1.
720/480 = 3/2. then there's a pixel aspect ratio which stretches that to either 4/3 or 16/9 (look up 'anamorphic format').
spiff Wrote:720/480 = 3/2. then there's a pixel aspect ratio which stretches that to either 4/3 or 16/9 (look up 'anamorphic format').

So I dont understand. Am I re-encoding all of these files correctly with Handbrake? I keep the anamorphic setting to "loose".
720 / 16 * 19 = 405
the encodes are correct as such, but your encodes uses a codec-level dar/par setting. these are not probed when we extract the flags, only the container level ones. thus you get the wrong aspect stored in the flags. you could say it's a bug of ours. or well, a todo.
spiff Wrote:the encodes are correct as such, but your encodes uses a codec-level dar/par setting. these are not probed when we extract the flags, only the container level ones. thus you get the wrong aspect stored in the flags. you could say it's a bug of ours. or well, a todo.
Is it possible to change the stored aspect in the flags?
so this problem only occurs with DVD rips right?
jz1276 Wrote:Is it possible to change the stored aspect in the flags?

might be something that can be stored in an xml nfo file..
OniFactor Wrote:might be something that can be stored in an xml nfo file..

already have the info stored in nfo files but after the files are played it changes

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why does XBMC show DVD rips as 15:9 AR?0