[AppleTV2] 4.3 Support?
I purchased an Apple TV recently and am loving it. I have 4.2.1 loaded with SHSH Blobs saved running in an untethered state. I am at the point where I am considering getting more Apple TV's for each TV in my house. I have been around the block with small ION HTPC's (more expensive / more power consumption), Boxee Box, and numerous other players. For what I am doing, nothing has stacked up better than running XBMC on the Apple TV!

From a cursory read, it appears for now that XBMC does not work too well on 4.3 (and I assume 4.3.1 when it is released). It is beyond my understanding why 4.3 breaks things that work well in 4.2.1. All my DVD rips are MKV's with no compression, plus I run the Icefilms plugin (which is great).

I understand that Apple could stop signing 4.2.1 at any minute. Thanks for the great software and any input before I purchase more Apple TV's. I don't mind waiting a short period (like a month) for future development; just did not want to purchase something that I could never use, or was stalled in development that I could not use for several months.

Is it in the plan to continue development address the XBMC 4.3 issues (and beyond) and any general updates on timing?
Don't be silly Smile Of course the issues with 4.3 will eventually get worked out. I did not put all this working into getting XBMC on iOS/ATV2 only to give up.
davilla Wrote:Don't be silly Smile Of course the issues with 4.3 will eventually get worked out. I did not put all this working into getting XBMC on iOS/ATV2 only to give up.

well said... and even if you stop now you have done a great job.. i love my atv2 on 4.2 with xbmc.. thanks brah..
@davilla

Thanks for your above comments and your years of commitment to projects such as this one.

To all who have doubts - This wouldn't be the first time that XBMC team was up against a suddenly revised OS. Makes life interesting for all of us. No doubt that, as many times before, it will be worked out just fine.
davilla Wrote:Don't be silly Smile Of course the issues with 4.3 will eventually get worked out. I did not put all this working into getting XBMC on iOS/ATV2 only to give up.

Thanks much for your comments. I am looking forward to continued growth of the XBMC product on the ATV2. There is nothing out there on the market like it. Time to purchase more ATVs as soon as 4.3 untethered is out!
hey guys
i accidentally upgraded to 4.3 on my ATV2
(stupid me)
how do i downgrade it and get XBMC working again
thanks guys
Search google for Tinyumbrella, theres plenty of tutorials out there.
just got an appletv2, has 4.3.1 - got the seas0npass tethered crack to work, but MKV just crashes XBMC Sad

so for now I'm screwed.
4.3.1 isn't supported without running the latest nightly builds by keith. Apple made some changes and Davilla came through and figured out how to fix it on 3/25.
the 3/26 nightly works great. Im using that on 4.3 (which includes some updates like mlb tv i think and for me netflix didnt work on 4.2.1 but works on 4.3)

The nightly i run plays mkv 720p encodes, avi (xvid and divx) sd, iso, and vob files. Has some quirks (like vob hates library mode for some reason) but overall its a great experience.

Oh and im not sure if its been noted before that it plays iso files, but it plays one i have just fine minus the menus. long as you just play the movie its fine, try and navigate the menus and it'll hang trying to load the next menu after the main one. could be my iso, but i doubt it.

Think i might be one of the few that uses 4.3
thanks dazex. I'm not sure how to install a nightly build - I downloaded the deb file, but to install XBMC originally I just put the code in with terminal on my mac.

edit: kilik64, could you link me to the 3/26 build and how to install it?
b_cott Wrote:thanks dazex. I'm not sure how to install a nightly build - I downloaded the deb file, but to install XBMC originally I just put the code in with terminal on my mac.

edit: kilik64, could you link me to the 3/26 build and how to install it?

For the latest build: Semi-official

And the instructions on how to make it happen are here (read carefully): Just use the instructions, you'll have to figure it out....

If I have helped you in any way, please forgive me, it was entirely accidental.
thanks, i may give it a shot or I may just deal until the official 10.1.1 or whatever comes out Smile

I don't have that many MKVs right now so I should be OK.
follow the instructions posted by cranial, its not hard.

ive never used unix commands in my life before messing with xbmc and i got it to install ok. copy and paste is your friend!
I'm having issues installing xbmc again after jailbreaking the latest firmware.

Anyone know how to fix this?
Apple-TV:/private/var/tmp root# dpkg -i org.xbmc-20110401-97b5e9f_atv2-arm-private.deb
Selecting previously deselected package org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2.
(Reading database ... 1322 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2 (from org.xbmc-20110401-97b5e9f_atv2-arm-private.deb) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2:
org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2 depends on org.xbmc.xbmc-seatbeltunlock; however:
Package org.xbmc.xbmc-seatbeltunlock is not installed.
dpkg: error processing org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2 (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] 4.3 Support?3