Couple more quirks/bugs and a question
Please let me know if you get sick of me, but I've been playing with this a lot trying to get my HTPC ready for use by the wife and family). I'm an engineer with some technical writing and graphic design background, so little things like this stand out to me.

Movie views
1) In carousel view, the up one level 'poster' is blank (no file icon).

2) This is a preference rather than bug. Is it possible for the views that use fanart (Poster popup, Fanart slide, Fanart List, Carousel List), is it possible to put another default fanart in for the 'up one level' selection, rather than the 'no thumb available'.

TV Show - Show views:
3) Same comment on the fanarts as above (note the episode slide view does have this).

4) Similar comment in 'logo' views. Could a folder logo be used rather than 'no logo available.'

5) In Fanart Slide, the 'up one level' poster is blank (no file icon)... actually just went through and all views that use posters have a blank 'up one level' poster.

TV Show - Season views:
7) Season list view, 'one level up' poster is blank

TV Show - Episode Views:
8) If I go to episode view from 'all seasons' or if I am using the 'flatten single season' options, no posters show up.

9) Episode list view, the 'one level up' poster is blank.

Now the question. It appears that whether or not I have the 'use posters instead of banners' option checked, the views will use the file named 'folder.jpg'. Checking the option turns off banner views, and maybe governs what the internal scrapers grab. Is this correct.

If I use the "Enable 'poster.jpg' Support" option, then the files named 'poster.jpg' is used in the tv show poster views.

So it appears to have the maximum compatibility/views I need a files named folder.jpg in each TV folder which is the banner, and a file named 'poster.jpg' that is the poster. This can be kind of confusing, so would it be possible to add an "Enable 'banner.jpg' support" option so views that use banners would default to this file? This would ensure the maximum compatibility with the logo downloader script.

I think I'd better stop now before you decide to ban me from the list. Again, thank you for all the hard work, I really love the skin.

--

--

--

--

--

To learn more, click here.
Hi all,

I am trying to change the <label> of the Home, Movies, TV Shows etc buttons on the home page. I have tried the <label> field changes under:

1. /skin.simplicity/720p/IncludeMenu.xml
2. /skin.simplicity/720p/custom_SkinSetting_1111.xml
3. /skin.simplicity/720p/includes.xml
4. /skin.simplicity/language/English/strings.xml

I am now stuck as I cant get to change the button labels. Can anyone help please?
Walking Wrote:Hi all,

I am trying to change the <label> of the Home, Movies, TV Shows etc buttons on the home page. I have tried the <label> field changes under:

1. /skin.simplicity/720p/IncludeMenu.xml
2. /skin.simplicity/720p/custom_SkinSetting_1111.xml
3. /skin.simplicity/720p/includes.xml
4. /skin.simplicity/language/English/strings.xml

I am now stuck as I cant get to change the button labels. Can anyone help please?

Please elaborate.
Hi igotdvds,

I am trying to rename the the Home, Videos labels on the home page to "Huis", "Beeld" (localization into Afrikaans, the local language in South Africa). I love the design of the skin and would like to use it as the default for my own entertainment systems layout.

The reason for the changes is also so my kids can read it and manage the system themselves. They are 4 and 6 and find it easier to read our local languages than english.

I am fine with doing changes at xml level. If you could point me in the right direction it would be great.

I will also be adding sub categories to the TV Shows section to help with splitting the kids, Documentaries etc. into more manageable parts. Essentially when you select on "TV Shows" on the "Home" screen it will give you another page that you can selects you sub category of TV Shows. (more on that later)

Regards
Walking Wrote:Hi igotdvds,

I am trying to rename the the Home, Videos labels on the home page to "Huis", "Beeld" (localization into Afrikaans, the local language in South Africa). I love the design of the skin and would like to use it as the default for my own entertainment systems layout.

The reason for the changes is also so my kids can read it and manage the system themselves. They are 4 and 6 and find it easier to read our local languages than english.

I am fine with doing changes at xml level. If you could point me in the right direction it would be great.

I will also be adding sub categories to the TV Shows section to help with splitting the kids, Documentaries etc. into more manageable parts. Essentially when you select on "TV Shows" on the "Home" screen it will give you another page that you can selects you sub category of TV Shows. (more on that later)

Regards

You will need to add the label to the strings.xml for that language. Then, search the xmls, "Home.xml" in this case, and replace the Home, Movies, etc. with a localized string.
Thanks. To test this I chose "English" as language and then changed the "HOME" label (31504 I think it was) to "HUIS" in the strings.xml file. This did not change the "Home" label on <window id="0"> page to "HUIS".

If I understand you correctly you are saying that I should change the actual "Home" text in home.xml to "HUIS" to get the change. As in a "find and replace" type of change at text level?
Walking Wrote:Thanks. To test this I chose "English" as language and then changed the "HOME" label (31504 I think it was) to "HUIS" in the strings.xml file. This did not change the "Home" label on <window id="0"> page to "HUIS".

If I understand you correctly you are saying that I should change the actual "Home" text in home.xml to "HUIS" to get the change. As in a "find and replace" type of change at text level?

no:

In strings.xml for the language you want, change:

Code:
<string id="31503">HOME</string>

to:

Code:
<string id="31503">HUIS</string>

Then repeat for all others.
Don't want to be a schmuck, but this is exactly what I did but the labels don't change on the home page. Even if I change the default language, to say "Dutch" or Turkish, then the 31503 label still stays "Home" on the home page.

Other labels change but not the "HOME" "VIDEOS" MOVIES" etc. labels on the home page when I do the language change.

I really appreciate your help as I see you are replying to a massive amount of other posts also.
Change it in english and post the strings.xml file for me to download. The labels are localized which means if they are changed in the strings.xml they HAVE to change. We shall see.
I will only post the parts I changed in /language/English/strings.xml

=========== original line 153-169 ===============
<!-- Extra labels -->
<string id="31500">MOVIES</string>
<string id="31501">VIDEOS</string>
<string id="31502">TV SHOWS</string>
<string id="31503">RIAAN HOME</string>
<string id="31504">MUSIC</string>
<string id="31505">WEATHER</string>
<string id="31506">PROGRAMS</string>
<string id="31507">ADDONS</string>
<string id="31508">SETTINGS</string>
<string id="31509">PICTURES</string>
<string id="31510">SHUTDOWN</string>
<string id="31511">Advanced Options</string>

</strings>
=================================

Then the changed part

=========== Changed line 153-169 ===============
<!-- Extra labels -->
<string id="31500">HUIS</string>
<string id="31501">BEELD</string>
<string id="31502">TELEVISIE</string>
<string id="31503">HUIS</string>
<string id="31504">MUSIEK</string>
<string id="31505">WEER</string>
<string id="31506">PROGRAMS</string>
<string id="31507">ADDONS</string>
<string id="31508">SETTINGS</string>
<string id="31509">PICTURES</string>
<string id="31510">SHUTDOWN</string>
<string id="31511">Advanced Options</string>

</strings>
=================================

I changed the language to "English" in settings in the "Appearance" section.

Really hope you can find what I am missing I feel like a moron as I cant seem to get this right.
YIIIPPPEEEE

Found the issue.

I am working on the skin and have saved multiple directories in the "addons" sub-dir with a "xxxxxx.ORIG" postfix. What was happening was that XBMC was reading the prefix "skin.simplicity....) and selecting a directory I was not working in.

I am terribly sorry for messing you around. Thanks for trying to help.

Regards
That's because you didn't change the addon ID.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Ok, thanks. The great part of having made this mistake is that I learned a massive amount about how XBMC works.

Thanks for your help and also for the great skin you created.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Couple more quirks/bugs and a question0