• 3(current)
[RELEASE] CrystalHD Linux distributions for Apple TV with UI installer (Win, Linux)
Worfje Wrote:Sam, I noticed that installing it for a second time to the USB stick, it again downloaded the ubuntu image of around 500MB.

Maybe an optimization for a next version of the windows installer? If already downloaded, skip download?

disable your network connection when you run the script the second time. it will look for the original file name anyways, after the second download is finished
ok so i have installed it on the hard drive with non complications, got me a 1080p mkv and it plays wonderfully. I have no sound however.

alsamixer shows this:
Code:
-----------------------------[AlsaMixer v1.0.15 (Press Escape to quit)]-------------------------------+
| Card: HDA Intel                                                                                       |
| Chip: Silicon Image SiI1390 HDMI                                                                      |
| View: [Playback] Capture  All                                                                         |
| Item: Master [dB gain=0.00, 0.00]                                                                    
|                                                                                                       |
|             +--+              +--+                                                                    |
|             |##|              |##|                                                                    |
|             |##|              |##|                                                                    |
|             +--+              +--+              +--+              +--+              +--+              |
|             |OO|                                |OO|              |OO|              |OO|              |
|             +--+                                +--+              +--+              +--+              |
|           100<>100          100<>100                                                                  |
|          < Master >           PCM              IEC958           IEC958 D          IEC958 1

i have set everything to HDMI in XBMC audio settings.

Code:
atv@appletv-ubuntu:~$ lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
ipv6                  268164  16
parport_pc             36260  0
lp                     12324  0
parport                37832  2 parport_pc,lp
loop                   18948  0
joydev                 13120  0
af_packet              23812  2
snd_hda_codec_atihdmi     5248  1
crystalhd              80392  2
nvidia               6221904  36
i2c_core               24832  1 nvidia
snd_hda_codec_realtek   195204  1
video                  19856  5
output                  4736  1 video
snd_hda_intel          32072  2
snd_hda_codec          72832  3 snd_hda_codec_atihdmi,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel
button                  9232  0
snd_hwdep              10628  1 snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm                79876  3 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
snd_timer              24964  1 snd_pcm
snd                    61348  9 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore               8800  1 snd
intel_agp              25492  0
snd_page_alloc         12552  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
shpchp                 34452  0
pcspkr                  4224  0
evdev                  13056  0
iTCO_wdt               13092  0
agpgart                34760  2 nvidia,intel_agp
pci_hotplug            30880  1 shpchp
iTCO_vendor_support     4868  1 iTCO_wdt
ext3                  136840  1
jbd                    48404  1 ext3
mbcache                 9600  1 ext3
usbhid                 32128  0
hid                    38784  1 usbhid
sg                     36880  0
sd_mod                 30720  3
ata_generic             8324  0
8139cp                 24704  0
ata_piix               19588  2
pata_acpi               8320  0
8139too                27648  0
mii                     6400  2 8139cp,8139too
ehci_hcd               37900  0
uhci_hcd               27024  0
libata                159728  3 ata_generic,ata_piix,pata_acpi
scsi_mod              151692  3 sg,sd_mod,libata
usbcore               146412  5 usbhid,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd
thermal                16796  0
processor              36616  2 thermal
fan                     5636  0
fuse                   50708  1
vesafb                  8964  1
fbcon                  42912  71
tileblit                3584  1 fbcon
font                    9472  1 fbcon
bitblit                 6784  1 fbcon
softcursor              3072  1 bitblit

any ideas on how to get the sound working? i have one HDMI cable between atv and my TV.

also if i change audio settings during a playback i get an onscreen error saying "Failed to initialize audio settings" or similar.
Same problem, NO SOUND OVER HDMI.. Sad
I run it from the USB stick.

The install was easy and automated, exellent job, Sam.
fodos Wrote:Same problem, NO SOUND OVER HDMI.. Sad

you get sound from live USB but not from hard drive installation?
When i try to save some files into /root/.xbmc/userdata or to folder media or any other folder it gives me permission denied.

I'm using winscp (login: atv/atv) and i can only write to tmp folder. I'm using usb installer version.

It looks that something is broken. In minimals pin87 or something those things where working.

I see that some other has also reported the problem with permission but no answer was given.

TNX
g00f Wrote:Same issue for me last night with windows hard drive install. After complete installation then reboot, the atv just shows the "?" hard drive symbol. This is with a 16GB Kingston USB stick as installation media.

I tried again, with same result, so next time after the install was completed, I SSH'd in and tried to run the "./crystalhd.sh" command... but it gave errors, or wouldnt allow me to do it because I wasnt admin, so then tried "su -" for admin access but it wouldnt work with "atv" PW....

Thats the total extent of my linux knowledge, so i dont know anything more for troubleshooting....sorry.

g

Use sudo, not su.

moonwalker Wrote:Sam, I've managed to get it going again!
I still was able to ssh into my atv. I manually made the file "sync.sh" and copy/paste the scripttext into it. Then "bash sync.sh" and all worked again!Big Grin

Thank you for your response!!

Good to hear

dnguyen77 Wrote:I initialy running this off the USB stick and the interface seem to be slow. I then try to run it off the internal hard drive it seem to be much smoother. This also free up the USB port which I can use to plug in my USB keyboard and mouse from time to time.

Great work SAM

Good to hear as well

Bagheera Wrote:well ... how do i do that? Sry for the stupid questions, but as mentioned Im a linux noob Wink

tried to ssh into the atv but cant establish an connection :/

USB hub and keyboard -- or a keyboard only if HDD install.

Worfje Wrote:Sam, indeed great work! :cool2:

I used the windows installer, selected ubuntu 8.0.4, installation method 'USB Drive' and installed to a Sandisk Cruzer 8GB.

I forgot about the network connection, but after installing the cable and retrying, it worked like a charm! Wink

Now I will replace the original hard drive with a new one and try the installation method 'Internal Hard Drive'. I'll keep you posted.

Depending on how well this succeeds I will adjust the height of my future donation. Smile

Sounds good

Worfje Wrote:Sam, I noticed that installing it for a second time to the USB stick, it again downloaded the ubuntu image of around 500MB.

Maybe an optimization for a next version of the windows installer? If already downloaded, skip download?

Sorry but it should always redownload to get the freshest image available.

dc297spec Wrote:Ive been able to install the software onto the usb stick and it works fine but im unsure how i get it from the usb stick to the internal HDD. Can anyone assist?

Thanks

Okay. Select Internal Hard Drive image, and your USB will be imaged. Plugging this into aTV will then in turn image the internal drive.

h2sammo Wrote:ok so i have installed it on the hard drive with non complications, got me a 1080p mkv and it plays wonderfully. I have no sound however.

alsamixer shows this:
[trimmed] |
[/CODE]

i have set everything to HDMI in XBMC audio settings.

Code:
atv@appletv-ubuntu:~$ lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
ipv6                  268164  16
parport_pc             36260  0
lp                     12324  0
parport                37832  2 parport_pc,lp
loop                   18948  0
joydev                 13120  0
af_packet              23812  2
snd_hda_codec_atihdmi     5248  1
crystalhd              80392  2
nvidia               6221904  36
i2c_core               24832  1 nvidia
snd_hda_codec_realtek   195204  1
video                  19856  5
output                  4736  1 video
snd_hda_intel          32072  2
snd_hda_codec          72832  3 snd_hda_codec_atihdmi,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel
button                  9232  0
snd_hwdep              10628  1 snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm                79876  3 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
snd_timer              24964  1 snd_pcm
snd                    61348  9 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore               8800  1 snd
intel_agp              25492  0
snd_page_alloc         12552  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
shpchp                 34452  0
pcspkr                  4224  0
evdev                  13056  0
iTCO_wdt               13092  0
agpgart                34760  2 nvidia,intel_agp
pci_hotplug            30880  1 shpchp
iTCO_vendor_support     4868  1 iTCO_wdt
ext3                  136840  1
jbd                    48404  1 ext3
mbcache                 9600  1 ext3
usbhid                 32128  0
hid                    38784  1 usbhid
sg                     36880  0
sd_mod                 30720  3
ata_generic             8324  0
8139cp                 24704  0
ata_piix               19588  2
pata_acpi               8320  0
8139too                27648  0
mii                     6400  2 8139cp,8139too
ehci_hcd               37900  0
uhci_hcd               27024  0
libata                159728  3 ata_generic,ata_piix,pata_acpi
scsi_mod              151692  3 sg,sd_mod,libata
usbcore               146412  5 usbhid,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd
thermal                16796  0
processor              36616  2 thermal
fan                     5636  0
fuse                   50708  1
vesafb                  8964  1
fbcon                  42912  71
tileblit                3584  1 fbcon
font                    9472  1 fbcon
bitblit                 6784  1 fbcon
softcursor              3072  1 bitblit

any ideas on how to get the sound working? i have one HDMI cable between atv and my TV.

also if i change audio settings during a playback i get an onscreen error saying "Failed to initialize audio settings" or similar.

fodos Wrote:Same problem, NO SOUND OVER HDMI.. Sad

h2sammo Wrote:you get sound from live USB but not from hard drive installation?

You have no sound because you have not read the manual!. To quote: "For HDMI output, it is necessary to go to Settings > System > Audio Output and select the use of a Custom Device (obviously enabling Digital Sound Output), the custom device must be entered exactly as: plughw:0,3"

Hope this helps
h2sammo Wrote:you get sound from live USB but not from hard drive installation?

No, I tried just the live USB install. I left the ATV os on the HDD fortunately...
It' strange because there is a bullet point "audio over hdmi" in Sam's release report.
Is there anybody who get sound trough the hdmi port?
Did I wrong something?

--EDIT--
OK, sry Sam, works great this way.
illiac4 Wrote:When i try to save some files into /root/.xbmc/userdata or to folder media or any other folder it gives me permission denied.

I'm using winscp (login: atv/atv) and i can only write to tmp folder. I'm using usb installer version.

It looks that something is broken. In minimals pin87 or something those things where working.

I see that some other has also reported the problem with permission but no answer was given.

TNX

Nothing is broken Smile

You are trying to write to a root directory. Therefore need root permissions. Here are your choices:
  • Enable root account and login as root
  • Use sudo infront of command such as nano or cp
  • Write file to a place you can access (your home directory) /home/atv and then use sudo cp to copy it over to the protected directory.
fodos Wrote:No, I tried just the live USB install. I left the ATV os on the HDD fortunately...
It' strange because there is a bullet point "audio over hdmi" in Sam's release report.
Is there anybody who get sound trough the hdmi port?
Did I wrong something?

I have just wrote solution two posts above. Please read carefully in the future Smile
Bagheera Wrote:@Paulkai
i used the files in this link Windows Installer

Well I created a USB stick with it (boot from USB); first boot on aTV went well. It took some time, but XBMC started. I only had one issue: No Sound via HDMI.

After that i tried to reboot the aTV (unplug it). This time XBMC didn't start - an error occurred.
I created a new USB Stick = same error.

Since I have no clue how to describe it, i just took a picture Wink

Can anyone help on this?

/i used Win7 Usb Drives with 4gb & 8gb

Same problem here. I will try to use a different USB drive and try again.
thx for the manual mention. I did take a look at it now: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...dio_output

i got the sound to to work by setting both the output and passthrough device to plughw:0,3, based on

Code:
atv@appletv-ubuntu:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC885 Analog [ALC885 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC885 Digital [ALC885 Digital]
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 3: ATI HDMI [ATI HDMI]

there was a difference however from the manual. the type of sound had to be set to Analog and NOT HDMI in order for me to get sound over HDMI cable. also in the manual it seems i should be able to unmute IEC958 channel with alsamixer, whereas as i have already posted i dont have a mute/unmute option for that channel in my alsamixer.

so as of right now i get sound over HDMI but it is Analog ?! not sure if that makes sense or it is appropriate but the digital setting did not work.

thank you
Ok, my problems (HDMI audio, editing keymap, 24p playback) solved exceedingly, and this little ATV becoming a fantastic, smooth and quick media center. Thank you!
pauljbent Wrote:Great work Sam by the way, my ATV now plays 1080P Big Grin

I am currently running the original image installed to HD. I can get 720p to play pretty flawlessly but no chance of 1080p playing for more than a few seconds. I am using the older '12' CrystalHD card.

Are others getting 1080p to play well with this newer image? ( I use m2ts files straight from Bluray rip)

Also, when first installing this new image, someone mentioned it downloading Ubuntu which equaled somewhere in the 500MB range. Is this true? I ask because my ISP is through satellite and only allows 250MB then cuts you off...
yes, you will download some >500mb ubuntu image.

i get 1080p playing very nicely with the older decoder card
h2sammo Wrote:yes, you will download some >500mb ubuntu image.

Hmmm.. I'm thinking it downloads the 500MB+ file when installing the image to the USB stick. If so, I could download the image at work and install it to my stick there.
Then, install it from the stick to HD later at home without too much more to download. Am I correct in my thinking here?
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] CrystalHD Linux distributions for Apple TV with UI installer (Win, Linux)1