Win Xp to Win 7
Since discovering that DXVA2 does not work in XP, i have been considering moving over to Win 7.

As i have just spent an age (for me) getting sabnzb and sickbeard up and running flawlessly (very happy), I am loathe to nuke the XP install to put Win7 on.

Anyone had experience in upgrading XP to 7 instead of clean installing?

Is it fraught with problems or should it be ok?

Cheers

Vorm
AFAIK Win 7 does not have an upgrade path from XP.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
sho Wrote:AFAIK Win 7 does not have an upgrade path from XP.

I'm afraid that is NOT the answer I was looking for Confused

Oh well. Time to do some backing up of settings etc.

Vorm
I think you can upgrade to vista and then upgrade to 7 from there but only for the 32 bit versions not 64.
I don't have a lot of experience with sickbeard and sabnzb, but I'm reasonably certain that you should be able to simply backup the appdata folders (or Application Data, as I believe it's called in XP) to a backup harddrive, do the upgrade, reinstall the programs, and then copy the appdata back into the appdata folder while the programs aren't running. I'm sure there's probably a very good reason why this wouldn't actually work, but I don't know it if there is.
natethomas Wrote:I don't have a lot of experience with sickbeard and sabnzb, but I'm reasonably certain that you should be able to simply backup the appdata folders (or Application Data, as I believe it's called in XP) to a backup harddrive, do the upgrade, reinstall the programs, and then copy the appdata back into the appdata folder while the programs aren't running. I'm sure there's probably a very good reason why this wouldn't actually work, but I don't know it if there is.

Exactly what I've done Cool

Now for XMBC - is it just the userdata file I need to back up?

Vorm
I can confirm the following things:
1. Backup Sickbeards-Appdatafolder (if it has one) and backup the program folder itself - since it is not installed as a windows application you should be able to just run it again.

2. Backup Sabnzbd-Appdata-Folder: Everything will be saved. Additionally you could also copy the "incomplete"-folder if you have downloads pending.

3. XBMC: Just backup the app-data-folder in a whole as well - after installation of XBMC it should just work.

As for a neat little trick you can use Ninite - I'm pretty sure you'll like it:
http://ninite.com/
Need help? Check out my XBMC Frodo Guide. It contains full featured guides to Sickbeard and CouchPotato as well.

HenryFord Wrote:I can confirm the following things:
1. Backup Sickbeards-Appdatafolder (if it has one) and backup the program folder itself - since it is not installed as a windows application you should be able to just run it again.

2. Backup Sabnzbd-Appdata-Folder: Everything will be saved. Additionally you could also copy the "incomplete"-folder if you have downloads pending.

3. XBMC: Just backup the app-data-folder in a whole as well - after installation of XBMC it should just work.

As for a neat little trick you can use Ninite - I'm pretty sure you'll like it:
http://ninite.com/

Thank you. All. Nod

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Win Xp to Win 70