[DEPRECATED]Rotten Tomatoes ratings scraper
gnrtool82 Wrote:this is also of interest to me

+1
Updating only the rating is not possible.
Mortstar, would you be able to adapt your scraper into an addon like this one : http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=92132 ?

It updates only the IMDB ratings. If the same could be done for Rotten Tomatoes, it would be simply amazing...

-Pr.
[4 Kodi Clients + 4 Norco RPC-4224 Media Servers w/376 TB HDD Space]
Pr.Sinister Wrote:Mortstar, would you be able to adapt your scraper into an addon like this one : http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=92132 ?

It updates only the IMDB ratings. If the same could be done for Rotten Tomatoes, it would be simply amazing...

-Pr.

When I saw the request I went looking for that as I had seen it knocking about on the forum. Unfortunately that script only works on Linux and I only have OS X and Win 7. Even if I could bodge it together to grab Rotten Tomatoes ratings instead it would be better if that script worked cross-platform. I have no idea how to make that possible.

It may be worth posting in that topic to see if you can enthuse the author to make it work cross platform.

EDIT: I've just taken a quick look at the script and it doesn't actually call scraper functions, it performs all the scraping within the script. This script would need a hefty rewrite to do what we want. I'd imagine that a script could be developed that uses your selected scraper (and scraper options) to update a selected field - but that is way beyond my abilities.
Frist off, Thank you kind sir, Secondly, Just reporting in that this works great...with a few exceptions

Raiders of the Lost Ark
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Hero
EuroTrip

Those movies will not display a rating, all other movies work correctly (correct RT ratings)

Ratings on those movies are correct with just IMDB

Using IMDB+RT on default settings

Anyways thought i would let you know, if you need more info let me know
Mzungu Wrote:Frist off, Thank you kind sir, Secondly, Just reporting in that this works great...with a few exceptions

Raiders of the Lost Ark
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Hero
EuroTrip

Those movies will not display a rating, all other movies work correctly (correct RT ratings)

Ratings on those movies are correct with just IMDB

Using IMDB+RT on default settings

Anyways thought i would let you know, if you need more info let me know

Hi thanks for the report back....

I checked all four of the movies and unfortunately it is a RottenTomatoes.com issue. The RT bit of the scraper uses the IMDb id to link the movie being scraped to its RottenTomatoes counterpart, in the form http://www.rottentomatoes.com/alias?type=imdbid&s=%IMDbid-tt% thus EuroTrip with IMDb ID tt0356150 is searched for on RT with http://www.rottentomatoes.com/alias?type...&s=0356150 if you click that link you will see that the RT website actually returns the wrong movie, which has No Rating and thus the scraper returns no rating.

The only way for this to be fixed is to inform RT of their incorrect IMDb ID alias matchups for each of the movies and hopefully they will fix the problem.
great thanks for the heads up, guess that wont be an option

and assuming the way the scrapper works, having it look up the name for the movie string wouldn't be an option?
Mzungu Wrote:great thanks for the heads up, guess that wont be an option

and assuming the way the scrapper works, having it look up the name for the movie string wouldn't be an option?

I've emailed RT, hopefully they will fix the broken IMDb alias links. I've found a couple more and added them to the list aswell (Skeletons and A Clockwork Orange).

If anybody finds any more movies that don't return a RottenTomatoes rating but do exist on the website, please post here.

Unfortunately the way the scrapers work mean that it isn't possible to do a 'Movie Title' look up as if there is multiple responses there is no way of offering that to the user. With chained scrapers you need a pretty much direct way of getting to the correct movie. IMDb ID aliases works pretty well and I'm sure (if RT are proactive enough to fix their links) that if we catch the problems and forward them on, it will still be the best method to get the scores from their website.
Any chance you can make it fall back to all critics if top critics does not have a value?
Scraper has been updated. I've made it possible to select the film certification from other countries. The data is taken from IMDb.

In this version you can select certification either from USA (Default - i.e. MPAA), UK (i.e. BBFC) or Australia (i.e. ACB). I am open to requests if users have a specific country's ratings they would like to have grabbed by this scraper. I can easily implement more as long as they are provided regularly by IMDb.

The scraper will 'fallback' to the USA's MPAA rating, if no certification is found for the chosen country.

FYI: I am only au fait with UK ratings and how they are 'known' by the general public. IMDb provides Australia's ratings as either one of G, PG, M, MA, R or X. Having read this wiki article I have returned MA as MA15+, R as R18+ and X as X18+ as this is technically correct. However, if there are any Aussie users who can let me know if this is the right way to present the data (or if I should return the certifications in the style that IMDb does), please let me know.

Weavus Wrote:Any chance you can make it fall back to all critics if top critics does not have a value?
I'm looking to do this in the next update. Any user opinions on whether this should be the default behaviour or optional?
mortstar Wrote:I'm looking to do this in the next update. Any user opinions on whether this should be the default behaviour or optional?
Personally I think it should be the default a non optimal match is better than no match at all.

Thanks very much for the update with UK rating classifications.
Weavus Wrote:Personally I think it should be the default a non optimal match is better than no match at all.

Thanks very much for the update with UK rating classifications.

Scraper has been updated to version 1.3.2:
- Added: Fallback to All Critics if Top Critics values are blank
- Added: Grab critics' consensus from Rotten Tomatoes to 'outline' field
- Fixed: 'No consensus yet.' at Rotten Tomatoes returns no value for correct fallback to IMDb outline

Hope some of you are finding this useful Big Grin
Thanks for this scraper.

I'm using it to get BBFC ratings but have come across a slight issue.

The ratings come back without the "UK:" prefix which means that the skin I'm using (cirrus extended) does not display the logos.

I could edit the skin to just expect UK ratings without the prefix as I have a rudimentary knowledge of skinning. Alternatively, I could try to update the scraper xml but unfortunately I've got no idea how it works and where I'd need to add the "UK:" bit.

However, given that there is this in the code:
Code:
    <ParseIMDBUKCert dest="5">
        <RegExp input="$$1" output="&lt;details&gt;&lt;mpaa&gt;\1&lt;/mpaa&gt;&lt;/details&gt;" dest="5">
            <expression>(?:&gt;\s*[b]UK[/b]:)((?:U)|(?:PG)|(?:12)|(?:12A)|(?:15)|(?:18)|(?:R18))(?:&lt;/a&gt;)</expression>
        </RegExp>
    </ParseIMDBUKCert>
it looks like the prefix is there but I've no idea what the RegEx is doing to it!

Ember Media Manager includes the prefix on ratings so I think it should be there but unfortunately it doesn't run on Linux.

Any tips would be very helpful.

EDIT:
Fixed it.

Code:
    <ParseIMDBUKCert dest="5">
        <RegExp input="$$1" output="&lt;details&gt;&lt;mpaa&gt;[b]UK:[/b]\1&lt;/mpaa&gt;&lt;/details&gt;" dest="5">
            <expression>(?:&gt;\s*UK:)((?:U)|(?:PG)|(?:12)|(?:12A)|(?:15)|(?:18)|(?:R18))(?:&lt;/a&gt;)</expression>
        </RegExp>
    </ParseIMDBUKCert>
BBC Live Football Scores: Football scores notifications service.
script.squeezeinfo: shows what's playing on your Logitech Media Server
Hi,

This scraper seems to be the answer a lot of my woes with the current default scraper.

Fantastic work.

Before I install it, can any one confirm how this will affect my current library. I have my movies in the following format:

C:\Movie Name (year)\Movie Name (year).avi
C:\Movie Name (year)\.actors
C:\Movie Name (year)\Movie Name (year).nfo

Then I have posters, fan art etc...

Can I just switch to this scraper, set it off and it will update my excisting library with the new info, OR am I required to rescan my entire library from scratch and remove my existing nfo's and data etc ...

Any help is appreciated,

Cheers,

Paddy.
If you have nfos, then it doesn't matter which scraper you are using, XBMC will import the nfo and will not use the scraper set on the source at all.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[DEPRECATED]Rotten Tomatoes ratings scraper0