Is it possible to get the MusicPlayer.AlbumArtist infolabel?
Just wondering whether its possible to get the MusicPlayer.AlbumArtist info label as opposed to MusicPlayer.Artist? I've tried it with 10.1 and it doesn't seem to work...so I guess that may already answer my question Laugh

Anyway, the reason I ask is that I use cd art in my MusicVisualisation that is obtained from a path like so:

Code:
$INFO[Skin.String(cdartpath)]/$INFO[MusicPlayer.Artist]/$INFO[MusicPlayer.Album]/cd.png

That works just fine for most stuff with standard artist/album layouts such as

/Volumes/Music/Foo Fighters/Greatest Hits

However, I have a few albums where the artist on a particular track differs from the album artist, e.g. the album artist is "Magnetic Man", but the track artist happens to be, say, "Magnetic Man feat Katy B". That obviously breaks the code above and fails to find the cd art bacause my layout is:

/Volumes/Music/Magnetic Man/Magnetic Man

and NOT

/Volumes/Music/Magnetic Man feat Katy B/Magnetic Man

I'm temporarily hacked it by creating the latter folder above for the cd art, but was wondering if there was a better way...?
My solution was to carefully edit every tag, as I added an album to library. The logical approach is to keep the artist the same for all tracks (Magnetic Man) and to add any featuring artist to the name of the song.... Perfect Stranger (feat. Kathy B).

I know this don't answer your question, but seems to me like the best solution for naming files. This way xbmc will not see more artists then you really have. For XBMC library Magnetic Man AND Magnetic Man feat Kathy B are two different artists Wink
sergiocos Wrote:My solution was to carefully edit every tag, as I added an album to library. The logical approach is to keep the artist the same for all tracks (Magnetic Man) and to add any featuring artist to the name of the song.... Perfect Stranger (feat. Kathy B)

Ah! Great idea. Thanks!

In fact, thinking about it, I already have some albums that already use that naming strategy and I just completely missed it! Doing it that way seems much neater than my hack Nod

Quote:I know this don't answer your question, but seems to me like the best solution for naming files. This way xbmc will not see more artists then you really have. For XBMC library Magnetic Man AND Magnetic Man feat Kathy B are two different artists

I seem to remember reading that XBMC classifies the artist library entry first by album artist tag, then by artist tag if no album artist exists. In this case, I have a valid album artist so I only get one library entry, i.e. Magnetic Man. If I didn't have an album artist then maybe you would be right that I would get 2 artist entries, i.e. Magnetic Man AND Magnetic Man feat Katy B. That seems to be what I'm seeing anyway.
snowdrift Wrote:I seem to remember reading that XBMC classifies the artist library entry first by album artist tag, then by artist tag if no album artist exists. In this case, I have a valid album artist so I only get one library entry, i.e. Magnetic Man. If I didn't have an album artist then maybe you would be right that I would get 2 artist entries, i.e. Magnetic Man AND Magnetic Man feat Katy B. That seems to be what I'm seeing anyway.
You're right, but this will still mess compilations, the album artist will be Various Artists and the song artist will be Magnetic Man feat Kathy B, which will be add to library as a 'new' artist, different from Magnetic Man from another compilation or album.
You should keep it simple and logical, the main artist as THE ARTIST and the featuring artist in the song name. It makes sense because they worked together for a particular SONG.
sergiocos Wrote:You're right, but this will still mess compilations, the album artist will be Various Artists and the song artist will be Magnetic Man feat Kathy B, which will be add to library as a 'new' artist, different from Magnetic Man from another compilation or album.
You should keep it simple and logical, the main artist as THE ARTIST and the featuring artist in the song name. It makes sense because they worked together for a particular SONG.

I agree, I'll do that. I also always tend enable the very useful "hide artists who appear only on compilations" setting anyway to avoid cluttering up my library.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is it possible to get the MusicPlayer.AlbumArtist infolabel?0