How does MediaPortal (TVServer) backend compare to VDR or MythTV?
I've been fooling around with VDR and MythTV for a couple of weeks and I've never been able to get it working quite right with my DVB-S card so I'm thinking about using MediaPortal.

MediaPortal worked pretty much immediately and with For The Record it should become a pretty advanced recording system.

However, I always think of Linux software as generally being more stable and faster so I'm a little leary about using MediaPortal even though I've already spent many, many hours trying to configure VDR/MythTV.

Anyways, what is the general opinion on this? How does MediaPortal (and the PVR backend) compare to VDR, MythTV, or even TVHeadend?
I would also appreciate a little comparison (features, speed etc.) between these backends. VDR seems to be a pain to install, so it is not that easy to test it.
Hmmm - nobody has compared these? Sad
Well the biggest difference between those backends is the support of tv cards...

Since MediaPortal runs on Windows and nearly all tv cards have proper BDA drivers nearly all tv cards are supported by MediaPortal.

Since i've never used MythTV or VDR i can't tell you which one is more stable. But the TV Server is stable and reliable.
Sorry, this is the wrong subforum to discuss or compare several backends. Here's development for interfaces between xbmc and PVR-backends only. If you want to know something about vdr, visit http://www.vdrportal.de . There's an english subforum also.

_BJ1
sronx Wrote:I would also appreciate a little comparison (features, speed etc.) between these backends. VDR seems to be a pain to install, so it is not that easy to test it.

It was a PITA!

Nowadays we have yaVDR. Give it a try.
f**k..... started editing without sudo | M.K.

Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Does anyone know if the linux-based pvr servers give better channel switching time?
moved to the general forums.

and with tvheadend as backend, switching channels is nearly instant.
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

xbmc-pvr [Eden-PVR builds] [now included in mainline XBMC, so no more source link here :)]
personal website: [link]

Found a problem with PVR? Report it on Trac, under "PVR - core components". Please attach the full debug log.

If you like my work, please consider donating to me and/or Team XBMC.
how long are channel changes taking with mediaportal?

i'm using tvheadend at the moment but unfortunately my system is crashing every few days so I' thinking about giving on linux for the pvr.
I am keeping my eye on this:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=91054
Proper Usage of a debug log
If I managed to help you in any way, please add to my reputation

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How does MediaPortal (TVServer) backend compare to VDR or MythTV?0