Media Archiving
What is your preferred method for archiving DVDS for your HTPC

Do you rip just the main movie or do you do full dvd rips keeping everything intact.
I rip the movies using handbrake.
I tend to use MakeMKV to keep the whole movie intact (and not re-compress), but trim out all the unnecessary stuff like menus and extra languages.
I (still) use dvdshrink and just copy the main movie to iso....no menus or extras.
New to XBMC and media streaming for video... lots to learn.

Currently I use DVD-Cloner 8 and make an ISO of the whole DVD.
Currently doing some testing trying to figure out the best setting to use with Handbrake to get the highest quality rips. Im shooting for 2 gigs per rip maybe a little more depending on the movie.

b-adapt=2:rc-lookahead=50:ref=10:bframes=6:me=esaConfusedubme=10:trellis=2
I'm using DVDFab to rip the movie and then use ImgBurn to make an iso file.
With DVDFab there's some different settings for just the main movie or for the full DVD for like TV episodes.

Being the lazy guy I am I just want to put the DVD in and have it rip automatically. So I wrote a console program that watches my DVD drives and when I put in a disc it starts up the rip by itself.

Just to make it easy I put 4 extra DVD burners in my computer and have two of them dedicated just for ripping. One for Full DVD and one for Main Movie only. The script file even copies the iso to my NAS.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Media Archiving0