HTPC Hardware advice my new system - WHS, HTPC, XBMC, Home Automation
Question 
Hi,
I've finally decided to ditch the Sky box and go down the HTPC route. I've spent the last few weeks reading every thread I can find and I am still no closer to deciding what to do. I initially thought of the Apple TV 2 route but discounted it because you are pushing the hardware to the limit and there is no room to upgrade. Then came the barebones idea...Shuttle XS35GT but I think it might be a little underpowered for my needs and again no room to expand. So I think I'm going to build my own, this will be my first full build (although I have a custom built desktop which I have fiddled with)!

What My Setup will be:
I am slowly putting this all together as I am moving into a new house in the next few month but this is my plan...

HP Proliant MicroServer
Running WHS 2011 (when it's released)
4 x 2TB hard drives - I'm thinking of using WD AV-GP (WD20EURS) but am very open to suggestions/improvements
Used to store all my media
Run mControl Home Automation Software to control lights, radiators, security... anything I can!
Running MyMovies for WHS - I've spent the last few days contributing data so I now have over 2,500 (I can access all the features and it cost me £0Wink)

Connected to a HP v1810 24 Port Gigabit Switch
I am going to wire the house with CAT6 cable

AV Setup: - All in Piano Black
HTPC running ?Windows 7 - 64 bit? and XBMC with MyMovies
Connected to a Denon 1909-AVR
Denon DVD-1800BD
Currently I have a 5.1 setup with Mordant-Short Alumni 2 Satellite Speakers but I have been given a couple of Sony speakers and so I may Frankenstein my system to 7.1
All sent to my trusty old Philips 37PF9731D - might upgrade to something that can do full 1080p in the near future.

HTPC Requirements
I want to:
  • Run XBMC - obviously
  • Be very quiet - I have a big noisy desktop and am bored of fan noise!
  • Be able to use the heavy duty skins smoothly
  • Stream high quality audio and video to my AVR - optical out would be nice
  • Play full HD streamed over the network - I don't intend to store anything locally
  • Have an HTPC that matches my setup - piano black, either put it next to the AVR (dimensions 434 x 171 x 377,WxHxD all in mm), or a small box that I can hide
  • Space to add TV tuner(s) at a later point
  • Gigabit ethernet - in case I want to transfer files e.g. if I install a TV tuner and I want to move recorded files from the HTPC to the server
  • Wake on LAN
  • Run some simple PC programs e.g Firefox, Skype
I don't care about:
  • Playing games
  • Playing discs - I'm very happy with how the Bluray player works
  • IR/RF remote - I want to use my iPhone
  • 3D TV - I don't have one and don't think I will for many years
  • Wifi - whole house will be have CAT6

My Ideas so far:
Asus E35M1-I Deluxe: Seems to tick all the boxes and has SATA 6GB/s
An SSD - advice on size and brand
Windows 7 - I have a copy already
I've read about the GT 450 - still haven't got my head around whether I'd need it or how quiet it is.
4GB of RAM

A TV tuner... I think there is already a Sky dish installed at the new house so ideally one that can deal with free satellite channels
CASE - Had a look at the SilverStone GD 05 but I don't need the space for the optical drive... any ideas what to put in there e.g. iMon screen

Sorry that it's such a long post but I wanted to make sure I get something that will work with what I have planned. Any advice about what to get and where from (I live in the UK) would be greatly appreciated!
radeon 6310 will be able to do everything you need Smile There is really no reason to buy extra GPU.
Thanks... starting to go off the idea of a big case, it seems a waste to get one for a mini ITX.

Narrowed it down to these:
Nexus Psile 10B
OrigenAE M10
Wesena ITX 6B

All these cases come with fans but ideally I'd like to run it without. Does anyone have any experience of this or any other reason to pick one over the others e.g. height restrictions on adding a PCI card?
Not sure what your budget is for a case but if you're looking for a nice fanless solution with excellent cooling check out the Heatsink Cases from A-Tech Fabrication.

http://www.atechfabrication.com/HTPC_cases.htm
So this is how far I've got:

[MOBO+CPU+GPU] ASUS E35M1-I DELUXE
[SSD] Crucial RealSSD 64GB SATAIII
[CASE] Wesena Mini ITX 6B
[RAM] 4GB of Huh
[OS] Windows 7 - 32/64 bit... I've heard that there can be problems with drivers and codecs that don't support 64bit but having used the 64bit version before I love it.
[PSU] Will the 120W Wesena one be suitable?

Is there anything else I am forgetting?
I've had a look at the suggested RAM on the ASUS website and this has caught my eye:

4GB of G.Skill F3-10600CL8D-4GBHK

Any thoughts? Also is Windows 7 64bit that problematic compared to the 32bit version? Most of the people who have had problems were posting in 2009/early 2010, are the driver and codec problems solved?
I'm quite fond of the G.Skill ECO series of ram, such as this kit. Very reasonably priced, only a couple bucks premium over the usual 1.5v-1.65v stuff. Runs very cool to the touch and is really ideal for this kind of usage in my books.

I also like using Kingston's ultra low profile DDR3, such as this. That kit is only 2x1gb but they have a 4gb kit as well. I use these on a lot of microATX/mini ITX builds as giant heatsinks tend to block access to the 2 dimm slots closest to the socket. On mini ITX builds its a bad idea to sacrifice a dimm slot as the IGP benefits from running dual channel memory.
Had a look at them both, the first interests me but it is more expensive than the one I have listed above (remember I live in the UK). There's no advantage to buying the second one since my mobo already has a passive cooler attached. But thanks for your help...

Any idea about the windows 7 64/32bit debate?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC Hardware advice my new system - WHS, HTPC, XBMC, Home Automation0