HTPC - Which hardware i need to upgrade?
Hello, know i have this hardware:
Pentium 4 3Ghz (know on 1,5Ghz because of temperature (i have loud cooling))
Radeon X1600
1,5 GB Ram memory
MB: ASUS P5LD2
^^ is about 5 years old
recently i upgraded my HDD to:
1x Intel X25-V
2x WD Caviar Green 1TB

i installed archlinux, samba and of course XBMC
it's running very well, bot not smoothly and i sometimes got stuck and because i need to work with it i must to kill XBMC.... (i need to mention that i am sending my DB of movies to the XBMC PC from another PC and XBMC is donwloadig the artist info in that time....), which hardware do you recommend to upgrade? i am thinkig about RAM or Graphic Card

P.S: XBMC s installed on SSD and Media files are on HDD (not in raid)
Radeon cards dont play well with Linux because of drivers...

always keep NVIDIA cards for linux xbmc.... for now at least....
hmm, and which one from the Nvidia i should use? Smile i am always fan of ATI/AMD graphics and i do not know anything about Nvidia Sad
P.S: if i can ask more specifically, i need to not buy new graphic cards for next 5 years at least ... 10 years could be great
P.P.S: sorry for my bad english, i am not very good in language thinks Sad
Ok, after reading several threads i came with this: ASUS EN210 SILENT/DI/1GD3/V2(LP), is it ok?
SquirrelCZE Wrote:Ok, after reading several threads i came with this: ASUS EN210 SILENT/DI/1GD3/V2(LP), is it ok?

Perfect. That will play any 2D 1080p file.

SquirrelCZE Wrote:Hello, know i have this hardware:
Pentium 4 3Ghz (know on 1,5Ghz because of temperature (i have loud cooling))
Radeon X1600
1,5 GB Ram memory
MB: ASUS P5LD2
^^ is about 5 years old
recently i upgraded my HDD to:
1x Intel X25-V
2x WD Caviar Green 1TB

i installed archlinux, samba and of course XBMC
it's running very well, bot not smoothly and i sometimes got stuck and because i need to work with it i must to kill XBMC.... (i need to mention that i am sending my DB of movies to the XBMC PC from another PC and XBMC is donwloadig the artist info in that time....), which hardware do you recommend to upgrade? i am thinkig about RAM or Graphic Card

P.S: XBMC s installed on SSD and Media files are on HDD (not in raid)

Have you considered purchasing an Atom/ION board? You'll save on power, it'll output much less heat, and you can use some of your hardware, like the SSD.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC - Which hardware i need to upgrade?0