Need help networking
I really don't know much. Links to a great resource would be appreciated.

Hello. When I was 14, I modded and put xbmc on my xbox and ftp'd movies upstairs to it and thought I was the coolest ever.

When I was 21, I bought a htpc case and filled it with 750 gig hard drives. I searched endlessly for a front-end until I rediscovered XBMC which was about a year later.

A year in a half later, I bought some new bigger hared drives and some better and quiet fans and slapped them in there after having one of the drives in my stupid raid configuration fail. It is still running now.

It is about a year after that and I am about to move in with my girlfriend. Lucky me I get my own room/office/man lair/hang out spot/ time out room. This room will have my new computer in it. A 6 core AMD based system with 16 gigs of ram a SSD and all the bells and whistles. I am using this system to produce music, videos, and manage some of the websites.

I really suck at networking. I never get it to work well. Now that I have these two systems, I am thinking that I have to get a netWORK.

I am not opposed to getting a cheap system to house all my hard drives in if necessary. I think putting all the drives in or connected to the machine in my room would be a good idea to allow the htpc in the living room to run quieter. Additionally, in the future I can add more computers with XBMC or settop boxes to connect to one "server" or whatever.

Here is what I have now.

3 or 4 working 750 gig SATA 3 7200rpm drives

A htpc with
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 Conroe 2.33GHz
GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R
MSI RX2600XT-T2D512EZ Radeon HD 2600XT 512MB 128-bit
Thermaltake W0093RU 500W ATX 12V 2.0
And two 2 TB hardrives and one 750 gig drive

I am currently building the other PC with
ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0
Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAA064MAG-1G1 1.8" 64GB SATA III
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz
I am going to use on board video until I start gaming again and then buy a card.

The case and power supply are charged but not yet being packaged by newegg. It is mid tower I could still try to change this if there are any suggestions. I just realized if I want to put a bunch of drives in this PC full tower would probably be a better option.

OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

RAIDMAX SMILODON Extreme Black ATX-612WEB 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case

I have really terrible router and will certainly need to be buying a new one.

EDIT: I am running windows 7 ultimate on both of these machines and on my laptop. I have tried to use linux a few times and decided to quit cause it was too hard.
I have been scared away from ATI video cards... let me check if I understand this correct... this would work fine for a W7 build, but would not play nice with a ubuntu or Live setup.... is this correct?
@Iheartxbmc

Sorry if I missed it, but what specifically is the question?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need help networking0