connect usb drive to apple tv2
Hi everyone. I read about apple tv2 arround the net and e bought one because of the capability of using xbmc. so, here it comes the great problem. e was not prepared to use network. isn't any way to connect an external drive directly do the atv2? if it's not possibile, do you think it will be possible in the future? what ways can i use to network my thing? access point?
no.
no.
nope, and this isn't a place for networking one oh one.
Image Don't even think about my mother!
Sure.
Step 1: read the FAQ.
Step 2: find out for yourself you can't.

Very easy procedure. Enjoy.
Well I'll chime in and try to help you out.

Networking is simple You need a router, and you need to have your computers connected to it. Either by wireless or wires. Most times you will have an internet connection supplied to the router, but it is not necessary if you're simply transferring file. However, I don't know why anyone wouldn't plug in an internet connection for home use.

Anyways once you do that, you just need to make sure your folders are shared on your computer. XBMC will then find them most likey under the SMB option. It is very simple
I actually traded my new apple tv for the old one for this reason. With the new linux installer from sam its really easy to get a working linux Crystal hd box with it. You could always post a craigs list add for a trade. Alot of people want the new one for netflix. I traded the same day i posted, and it suits my needs allot better.
Now would there be a way to access usb drive that is hooked up to an atv with another atv2. So the atv2 is trying to access the usb drive hooked up to an original atv. They are both on same router.
XBMC (11.0-RC2 Git:20120229-f38655f), Platform: Darwin iOS (11.0.0 AppleTV2,1, Version 5.0.1 (Build 9A406a)). Built on Mar 1 2012
motley28 Wrote:Now would there be a way to access usb drive that is hooked up to an atv with another atv2. So the atv2 is trying to access the usb drive hooked up to an original atv. They are both on same router.

I've been noticing this question keeps coming up, so I've replied to the same question at:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=963598
You can buy cheap USB NAS servers where you can plug in USB sticks or hard drive and then access them via XBMC. That is a solution that works quite well.

On another note, the micro USB and the HDMI ports are placed so closely on ATV2 that attaching cables to both ports simultaneously is more or less not possible (unless you start cutting things).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
connect usb drive to apple tv20