• 5(current)
Remote Launcher - start XBMC/Kodi remotely from your Android device
HenryFord Wrote:Wanted to point this out:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=792219&postcount=1

You can then use a WOL-Sender for android/iOS/Windows/whatever which are available everywhere and are mainly free. You can configure different ports for different instances, if you want to do more than one thing Smile

Very cool, I'll have to check it out!
New versions of both the Remote Launcher app and server are now available.

Changes include:
- Possibility to configure the port (both in app and server)
- Bug fixes (server)

Get it at:
http://remotelauncher.owtroid.com
Is it possible to get this awesome app to open something other than an exe file?

I am trying to open a media playlist. This is controled from down stairs so we can listen to music throughout the house. I normally have it up at all times on htpc. This way I only have to hit play on my remote and music starts.

Currently with your app I can get media player to open, but then i have to select the playlist manually. This defeats the purpose of me being able to just hit play.

The playlist extension is: .wpl. when I try to start that I get an error saying this is not a windows program.

Thanks,

Ken~
kmusk01 Wrote:Is it possible to get this awesome app to open something other than an exe file?

I am trying to open a media playlist. This is controled from down stairs so we can listen to music throughout the house. I normally have it up at all times on htpc. This way I only have to hit play on my remote and music starts.

Currently with your app I can get media player to open, but then i have to select the playlist manually. This defeats the purpose of me being able to just hit play.

The playlist extension is: .wpl. when I try to start that I get an error saying this is not a windows program.

Thanks,

Ken~

Hi Ken,

yes that should definately be possible. All that is needed is to figure out which application that should open the playlist and then give the playlist as an argument to that application.

In this case I assume that it is Windows Media Player that you're using?

Then, you just use the path to windows media player and add the path to the playlist as an argument:

C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player/wmplayer.exe "C:\Users\a\Music\Playlists\MyPlaylist.wpl"

or even:

C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player/wmplayer.exe /Playlist MyPlaylist

So the configuration entry in Remote Launcher Server would be something like:
Play MyPlaylist
Start wmplayer with MyPlaylist
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player/wmplayer.exe /Playlist MyPlaylist

Hope that helps!
I just made a change based on what you said. When I get home I will test it out and let you know if it worked. Basically this is what I have now:

Loft Media Play List
Launch Loft Media Play List
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe "D:\Music\1-Playlist\Party-List.wpl"

Will keep you posted, and thanks again for the quick response.

Ken~
Works perfectly now Smile Now I don't ever have to walk upstairs, turn the TV on, and start my playlist if someone closes it.

Thanks again for the great tool and the help Smile

Ken~
Great app! I do have a question though. I'd like to use this to restart a program that's already running. For example, my PS3 Media Server sometimes needs rebooting and if I could use this to shutdown any current versions of the server and then boot up a new one, that'd be sweet. Is that possible?

Also, restarting a service?
is it normal that the event is triggered by every magic packet on the network? If this is the case I think this is not a proper solution for starting xbmc remotely because also if i only want to start other computers in the same network xbmc will be starting..
Should only be triggering on the ones you have it installed to...
Hmmm ever since the update I can no longer connect from outside my network. I used to be able to connect from any place and launch XBMC or my Playlist, but now stopped working.

On my tablet it keeps saying :Connection Failed: null, check your config

My config has not changed. I know its not my router as I have other services that I connect to from outside my network, and those all work fine.

To rule out the version update can you send me both the apk file and the windows file for the previous version?

Going to test to see if it still works from within my network tonight.\

Ken~
kmusk01 Wrote:Hmmm ever since the update I can no longer connect from outside my network. I used to be able to connect from any place and launch XBMC or my Playlist, but now stopped working.

On my tablet it keeps saying :Connection Failed: null, check your config

My config has not changed. I know its not my router as I have other services that I connect to from outside my network, and those all work fine.

To rule out the version update can you send me both the apk file and the windows file for the previous version?

Going to test to see if it still works from within my network tonight.\

Ken~

Strange, could you pm me and I can send you the apk to your email?
Hybred Wrote:Great app! I do have a question though. I'd like to use this to restart a program that's already running. For example, my PS3 Media Server sometimes needs rebooting and if I could use this to shutdown any current versions of the server and then boot up a new one, that'd be sweet. Is that possible?

Also, restarting a service?

Yes, that is certainly possible! You do need to know the name of the process that you want to stop though.

There is a command line tool called tskill in windows that can be used to stop running processes/applications. Basically you would just add a launcher in Remote Launcher Server to kill the media server e.g.
Kill Media Server
Stop any running media server
tskill mediaserver.exe

More details about tskill can be found here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320052

For services you can use "net start service" or "net stop service" etc. Details are available here:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libra...S.10).aspx
milchkuh Wrote:is it normal that the event is triggered by every magic packet on the network? If this is the case I think this is not a proper solution for starting xbmc remotely because also if i only want to start other computers in the same network xbmc will be starting..

Not sure what you mean here. Maybe you're mixing up Remote Launcher with another guy in this thread that mentioned another solution that used magic packages to do stuff?

When using Remote Launcher you don't use magic packages (other than for the WOL-feature but that only targets a specific mac).

If starting Xbmc for example, it will only be started on the specific PC where the Remote Launcher Server is installed and you are connected to on the android device.
New version released:

- Added intent to set default server
- Added intent to send Wake On Lan package
- Added widget (size 1x1)
milchkuh Wrote:is it normal that the event is triggered by every magic packet on the network? If this is the case I think this is not a proper solution for starting xbmc remotely because also if i only want to start other computers in the same network xbmc will be starting..

owtroid Wrote:Not sure what you mean here. Maybe you're mixing up Remote Launcher with another guy in this thread that mentioned another solution that used magic packages to do stuff?

When using Remote Launcher you don't use magic packages (other than for the WOL-feature but that only targets a specific mac).

If starting Xbmc for example, it will only be started on the specific PC where the Remote Launcher Server is installed and you are connected to on the android device.

Didn't hear anything more about this so I assume that you were either satisfied with my answer or don't care anymore? Wink
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Remote Launcher - start XBMC/Kodi remotely from your Android device1