How will XBMC run on this configuration?
Hi,

New to the forums but I've been using XBMC for as long as I can remember. Recently I've decided to update my HTPC build but I am wondering how the configuration will run.

Given the following MKV file (run via USB connected HDD):

Video Stream
English, 13.4 Mbps, 1920*800 (2.40:1), at 23.976 fps, AVC ([email protected]) (CABAC / 5 Ref Frames)
Audio Stream
English, 1510Kbps, 48.0 KHz, 24 bits, 6 channels, DTS

how well can this configuration run it:

AOpen DE7000
XBMC Live
Intel Core 2 Duo T9600 2.8GHz 6MB L2 Cache Socket P 35W Dual-Core
Processor
Nvidia MCP7A-LP Chipset
Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Dual
Channel Kit
GeForce 9300
Realtek ALC662 HD Audio CODEC on-board
Kingston SSDNow V Series SNV125-S2BD/30GB 2.5" Desktop Bundle 30GB
SATA II

Thanks for your help

Papadoc
I've not got any experience with the 9300, so I can't comment on that, but the rest of the system looks good.

One thing I will mention. You may struggle to stream full HD content off that drive. USB2 speeds are not fast enough. The DE7000 has an eSata port, I suggest you invest in an external eSata enclosure.
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.
It's going to run very well indeed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_PureVideo

GeForce 9300M GS, 9300 GS, 9300 GE G98 VP3[9] B October 2008 Mostly found in laptops and on motherboards

This is the same as the GeForce 8400 GS G98 which I have experience of. Typically it can handle 1080p 5 frames of reference no problems.
Papadoc Wrote:English, 13.4 Mbps, 1920*800 (2.40:1), at 23.976 fps, AVC ([email protected]) (CABAC / 5 Ref Frames)

WAIT : 1920 x 800 ??

This changes matters ...

From wikipedia

Quote:Complete acceleration for MPEG-1, MPEG-2, VC-1/WMV9 and H.264.
All feature set B hardware cannot decode H.264 for the following widths: 769-784, 849-864, 929-944, 1009-1024, 1793-1808, 1873-1888, 1953-1968, 2033-2048 pixels.

Which to me means you *should* be ok ?

Can't you test it ?
Quote:USB2 speeds are not fast enough.
How is this possible? AFAIK full hd movies have max bitrate of 50 Mbps (there are some expections with a bit higher) but still its far a way from usb2 disk read speed - even considering half of its max speed - 240Mbps - its just like 4x more then required.
nemek Wrote:How is this possible?

Yeah I agree, I've seen others saying exactly the same Rolleyes

usb2 is plenty enough bandwidth for high bitrate mkvs - you'll only run in to problems if you have other processes accessing/writing to the disk at the same time - for example torrents
I've never had a problem using USB2 for Blu-ray even playing Avatar.
I'm not going by numbers, I'm going by reports I've heard. It might be down to individual hardware.
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

nemek Wrote:How is this possible? AFAIK full hd movies have max bitrate of 50 Mbps (there are some expections with a bit higher) but still its far a way from usb2 disk read speed - even considering half of its max speed - 240Mbps - its just like 4x more then required.

this has been talked on in another thread...
what came from it is that USB2 is fast enough for 15GB movies and less...

So what happens if the movie is heavier then 156GB?
Movie will play, of course, but you will probably experience jerky playback
at some point....
eskro Wrote:this has been talked on in another thread...

at some point....

I don't understand what you've written here, have you got a link to the thread so maybe I can understand more ? Cheers
L
eskro Wrote:this has been talked on in another thread...

at some point....

The Avatar rip I used via USB2 was a full uncompressed 40GB version.

The HDDVD drive for the Xbox 360 used USB2 without a problem and most discs were at the very least 15GB.

Are we sure this person wasnt using USB1??
Subliminal Aura Wrote:I don't understand what you've written here, have you got a link to the thread so maybe I can understand more ? Cheers

yes, http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=748...stcount=81
It is possible (probable) that the cheaper USB drives will not operate at full USB2 speeds. If you know that your setup can support 50MBit/s streaming, then you should be fine, but IMHO it is safer to get an eSata device. This guarantees the highest speed possible.

numb7rs Wrote:IMHO it is safer to get an eSata device. This guarantees the highest speed possible.

+1

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How will XBMC run on this configuration?0