• 11(current)
[LINUX] HOW-TO use VAAPI HW Acceleration on AMD Zacate (Fusion) platform
Rapoza Wrote:I also tried some things last night.

It seems that or mobo has trouble with vaapi. Seems that the driver is not getting the correct ID from the gfx card and then some segfault errors related appear.

I'm completely sure that is directly related to the link about segmentation Robotica posted yesterday.

Raven, the audio and the net problems appeared when I used your driver installation method. But I realized that where apparently caused by "lack of configurations"
Net config app showed partial traces of may before settings (mask, gateway) but the networking file was totally empty.

For the audio, if you try running a mixer prog and while your adjusting volumes, the problem goes out. I managed to crash the mixer and then the system stay with 100% volume. That seemed to me not a volume amount, but a wrong value on config files.

Those are my guesstimations. But the Robotica fix I think goes for that.

So, what I do now? What kind of installation? I think the SDM2011 method will not work if no desktop is installed.

As of now I have an ASUS E35M1-I Deluxe system that can do the following things:
Kernel: linux 2.6.39-3
GFX: Catalyst 11.6
NIC: Realtek r8168 v8.024.00
12TB RAID5 (via mdadm 3.1.4 variant from proposed)
AFP Fileserver with Time Machine support (via netatalk and avahi)
XBMC minus VAAPI acceleration

This was all put together using the PPA/apt-get method outlined by SDM2011 with some modifications due to some missing info (like 2.6.39-3 is in xorg-edgers for example) and that I installed Catalyst 11.6 (after patching for use with 2.6.39) plus of course the extra stuff I'm doing for my file server side of things.

Obviously no VA API is an issue but that really is the only issue left for me. Everything else is working fine. I might have a go at removing 11.6 and installing whatever is in the repositorys and see if that works but at this point I doubt it.

My audio issue was literally a matter of un-muting the HDMI SPDIF out as per Robitca's instruction and setting the appropriate outputs in XBMC. That said I am only using pass through to my receiver so volume is not relevant to me. I have disabled the analog audio in BIOS.

I am not sure I am understanding your net issue. If you install the r8168 driver then you won't have NIC related kernel panics when operating in gigabit mode and the connection won't constantly be being reset. It has nothing to do with actual NIC config or network settings. I have configured nothing (apart from adding the xbmc user to netdev group) with regard to networking as I use DHCP with my router handing out a static IP to this box. The mini.iso comes configured from the get go with DHCP support.
Also note that I don't use the wireless mini-pcie card on this board and have physically removed it as I have no need for it whatsoever.
Rapoza Wrote:Currently doing a complete installation as per OP instructions. Natty cli.

And that's why you need to patch the Catalyst drivers as per the following (the cd ~ can be replaced with wherever you want to download to):
Code:
cd ~; mkdir catalyst11.6; cd catalyst11.6
wget http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/ati-driver-installer-11-6-x86.x86_64.run
wget http://www.mindwerks.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/2.6.39_bkl.patch
wget http://www.mindwerks.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/no_bkl.patch
chmod +x ati-driver-installer-11-6-x86.x86_64.run
sh ./ati-driver-installer-11-6-x86.x86_64.run --extract ati
cd ati; for i in ../*.patch; do patch -p1 < $i; done
./ati-installer.sh 8.861 --buildpkg Ubuntu/natty
cd ..
rm -rf ati
dpkg -i fglrx*.deb

Or perhaps you don't have all the dependancies in place?

Code:
apt-get install -y build-essential cdbs fakeroot dh-make debhelper debconf libstdc++6 dkms libqtgui4 wget execstack libelfg0 dh-modaliases ia32-libs
Yes WytRaven, I have all dependencies. I loaded as per OP instructions.

But your installation is a cli or desktop? Desktop isn't it?
I'm updating my installation message on semi-realtime (when no-one looks in the office, jeje)

Version of your code that works for me:
Quote:cd ~; mkdir catalyst11.6; cd catalyst11.6
wget http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/ati-dr...x86_64.run
wget http://www.mindwerks.net/wp-content/uplo..._bkl.patch
wget http://www.mindwerks.net/wp-content/uplo..._bkl.patch
sudo chmod +x ati-driver-installer-11-6-x86.x86_64.run
sudo sh ./ati-driver-installer-11-6-x86.x86_64.run --extract ati
sudo su; cd ati; for i in ../*.patch; do patch -p1 < $i; done
sh ./ati-installer.sh 8.841 --buildpkg Ubuntu/natty; exit
sudo rm -rf ati
sudo dpkg -i fglrx*.deb
sudo aticonfig --initial -f
sudo reboot

Can you please post the mods for the sdm2011 method?
I'll test this install, then go for the standard and if also fails, go for the sdm.
Nope I am running from mini.iso no desktop whatsoever. Catalyst 11.6 cannot be installed from AMD download with kernel 2.6.39 without being patched. It won't work, as you have discovered.

On the network front:
The error you report about r8169 and no firmware is again because of kernel 2.6.39 and the fact that you don't want to be using r8169 anyway. The NIC will still function fine for ssh but it will fall to pieces under heavy load. Ubuntu gets it wrong, that driver is not appropriate for the Realtek 8111E. I have already provided instructions on getting the correct driver from Realtek and installing,which works perfectly with 2.6.39 and is solid under extreme pressure. I'll go look for the post and link it in.

In reference to your above post and catalyst install the 8.841 should technically be 8.861 but it seems to work either way. Not sure what the implications would be with it referencing an older version. That was my bad, fixed for myself but forgot to update Robtica on it.
Yes I saw your net fix proposal. Just left for a running version.

I think that installation I'm currently doing its a complete failure... Oo

If your doing it from cli, please tell me exactly how. Seems that "some one-eyed stared at me" Laugh

Finally running xbmc, totally mess AHAH:
Quote:X.Org X Server 1.10.1
Release Date: 2011-04-15
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-29-server x86_64 Ubuntu
Current Operating System: Linux HTPC 2.6.39-0-generic #5~20110427-Ubuntu SMP Wed Apr 27 15:27:41 UTC 2011 x86_64
Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.39-0-generic root=UUID=253c2a74-5898-4e2a-a7d9-6a39ce0c3fe9 ro splash quiet vt.handoff=7
Build Date: 21 May 2011 11:48:41AM
xorg-server 2:1.10.1-1ubuntu1.1 (For technical support please see http://www.ubuntu.com/support)
Current version of pixman: 0.20.2
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Fri Jun 17 14:14:20 2011
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@0:1:1) found
(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@0:17:0) found
(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@0:18:0) found
(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@0:18:2) found
(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@0:19:0) found
(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@0:19:2) found
(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@0:20:0) found
(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@0:20:1) found
(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@0:20:2) found
(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@0:20:3) found
(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@0:20:4) found
(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@0:20:5) found
(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@0:21:0) found
(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@0:21:1) found
(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@0:21:2) found
(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@0:21:3) found
(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@0:22:0) found
(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@0:22:2) found
FATAL: Module fglrx not found.
(EE) fglrx(0): ACPI: DRM connection failed
(EE) fglrx(0): atiddxDriScreenInit failed, GPS not been initialized.
(EE) fglrx(0): XMM failed to open CMMQS connection.(EE) fglrx(0):
(EE) fglrx(0): XMM failed to initialize
[glesx] __glESXExtensionInit: No GL ES2.0 capable screen found!
The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
> Warning: Type "ONE_LEVEL" has 1 levels, but <RALT> has 2 symbols
> Ignoring extra symbols
Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
No absolute path found for shell: xbmc-standalone
(EE) fglrx(0): firegl_SetSuspendResumeState FAILED -9.
(EE) fglrx(0): Fail to get resume state, return -9.
(EE) fglrx(0): ACPI: DRM connection failed
As I said before, I'm now running the 2.6.38 kernel and working VAAPI alongside the Unity Desktop. The Unity desktop will be disabled in a later state but for now I noticed something strange. Perhaps coincidental but when starting XBMC from the unity desktop I get the same behaviour as before: XBMC workings fine until playing a mkv file, just closes and nothing further. When starting XBMC from cli, everything works perfectly.

I'm sure I only have one version of XBMC installed (XBMC-PVR) and this was a fresh install so no remnants of any previous XBMC install either...

Just thought I'd mention it... Oo

PS: and I mean staring XBMC from a terminal while running Unity desktop!
Rapoza Wrote:Yes I saw your net fix proposal. Just left for a running version.

I think that installation I'm currently doing its a complete failure... Oo

If your doing it from cli, please tell me exactly how. Seems that "some one-eyed stared at me" Laugh

Finally running xbmc, totally mess AHAH:

Ok Rapoza, for what it's worth here is my exact install process minus my file server/raid related stuff.

Install Process

Now hopefully I didn't do anything that isn't in my notes. I'm a reasonably confident I did not with one exception. I know I did not do aticonfig --initial -f as I already had an xorg.conf I copied in (maybe I should try that myself).

This installation process assumes a network and the majority of installation being performed remotely via ssh. Also as should be clear I use "sudo su" for most of this so there aren't sudo's all over the place in these instructions.

EDIT: Cleaned up things at the bottom of the process. Also removed two installation instructions that were including a large number of the same items. Should be clearer down there now.
Holy shit! VA API just started working. I removed my old xorg.conf and did an "aticonfig --initial -f", rebooted and bobs my freakin uncle! Shocked

So to reiterate the system is (figured being absolutely explicit can't hurt):

HDTV: Panasonic TH-P58VT20A
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V667
Connection: HDMI A/V

Mobo: ASUS E35M1-I Deluxe
RAM: Kingston KVR1333D3N9K2/4G (4GB 2 x 2GB)
SATA III: 5 x Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 3TB (RAID5)
E-SATA: 16GB Kingston SSD S100 (Boot Drive)
PSU: Seasonic X-400 Fanless Gold
WiFi mini-PCI-E: Removed
Analog Audio: Disabled in BIOS

Kernel: linux-2.6.39-3
GFX Driver: Catalyst 11.6
NIC Driver (8111E Gigabit Ethernet): Realtek r8168 8.024.00

All packages via apt-get from:
ppa:lars-opdenkamp/xbmc-pvr
ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa

With exception of xvba from Andrew Hunter, Catalyst direct from AMD patched for linux 2.6.39 compatibility, and NIC driver from Realtek.

VA API h.264/VC-1 Acceleration: YES
Multi-channel AC3/DTS HDMI pass through: YES

NoEekShockedBig Grin

Can't wait to try out Smile
Quote:So, what I do now? What kind of installation? I think the SDM2011 method will not work if no desktop is installed.

I only have the Slim login manager installed, although I am running pulseaudio.

Quote:VA API just started working. I removed my old xorg.conf and did an "aticonfig --initial -f", rebooted and bobs my freakin uncle!

Glad to hear it! I specified in my original post that I'm running without an xorg.conf. Perhaps letting the driver/X autodetect the configuration works around some bugs somewhere.

Looks like you're getting even lower CPU usage than I have playing 1080p, so perhaps that's some improvement in Catalyst 11.6. If so, I look forward to it.

Do you have any problems related to pausing videos and resuming? Particularly streaming video, it often triggers stuttering and loss of audio/video sync which eventually catches up again. It seems to be a driver bug, so I'm hoping this too has been addressed.
Can confirm:
Kernel 2.38.6 (don't dare to upgrade just yet)
ATI drivers 11.6

xbmc-pvr from Lars
libva, libva-x11, etc all from the multiverse, NOT splitted desktop
xvba from Andrew Hunter

CPU load with unity running and XBMC 720P: 20%! That's 10% less for me then with ATI 11.5Shocked

PS: same strange behavior: starting xbmc from application launcher = crash, starting xbmc from terminal with Unity running = just fine
SDM2011 Wrote:Do you have any problems related to pausing videos and resuming? Particularly streaming video, it often triggers stuttering and loss of audio/video sync which eventually catches up again. It seems to be a driver bug, so I'm hoping this too has been addressed.

Sure this is related to Linux/ VAAPI? Also on win or other platforms? I have seen some nice related patches go in to trunk.

See: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=803298

So to solve this known issue, updating from git and build against newest FFMpeg should solve this.
WytRaven Wrote:Holy shit! VA API just started working. I removed my old xorg.conf and did an "aticonfig --initial -f", rebooted and bobs my freakin uncle! Shocked

I told you all the time. "aticonfig --initial -f" Rules Laugh

devil103 Wrote:Can confirm:
Kernel 2.38.6 (don't dare to upgrade just yet)
ATI drivers 11.6

xbmc-pvr from Lars
libva, libva-x11, etc all from the multiverse, NOT splitted desktop
xvba from Andrew Hunter

CPU load with unity running and XBMC 720P: 20%! That's 10% less for me then with ATI 11.5Shocked

PS: same strange behavior: starting xbmc from application launcher = crash, starting xbmc from terminal with Unity running = just fine

Yes, thats the same working configuration that I have on Maverick. And it shows same CPU use, but some tearing and I don't know why but, on idle always one core @40%

About the unity... Its incompatible with xbmc. Its everwhere around. But I'm sure that its related to compiz. Installed something about on maverick and now I have the same thing. Crashes from laucher, Ok from terminal.
Could be about permissions? I got some flashing message of not having rights for...
Rapoza Wrote:I told you all the time. "aticonfig --initial -f" Rules Laugh

Yes, thats the same working configuration that I have on Maverick. And it shows same CPU use, but some tearing and I don't know why but, on idle always one core @40%

That's because XBMC continue refresh screen with your refresh rate. It's an XBMC feature. (same reason XBMC is consuming more watts idle-ing than when playing 1080p)

Can you tell some more about your tearing? Which kind of films? Is this also on xbmc on Windows? WHat's in your xbmc log? etc. etc.
Got Simplicity skin installed and working by doing clone of git and installing manually. Smile
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO use VAAPI HW Acceleration on AMD Zacate (Fusion) platform14