• 6(current)
[LINUX] HOW-TO use VAAPI HW Acceleration on AMD Zacate (Fusion) platform
Has anybody ran into the packaging conflict in Natty (11.04) between xbmc-pvr (which comes with vaapi enabled) and splitted-desktop's libva?

This issue is described here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10910628

If you managed to fix it and got h264 acceleration to really work in xbmc with on an E350 platform... please post how you did it Smile
Question 
pellepelster Wrote:Hi all,
I did a XBMC and Ubuntu install on an amd fusion based Zbox AD02, maybe someone can benefit from my experiences.
http://pellepelster.de/installing-ubuntu...otac-ad02/
regards,
pelle
Hi,
I would be interested by your work
But actually, your page is not online ?
Thanks Smile
Jean-Max

OpenELEC on 2 ZBOX
KODI on 4 Windows PC
Jean-Max Wrote:Hi,
I would be interested by your work
But actually, your page is not online ?
Thanks Smile

Just go to pellepelster.de and you will find it.

Somehow i could not build XBMC. It always broke on ./configure while checking for main in -lGl.

I also noticed that suspend/wakeup does not work.
jbo87 Wrote:Just go to pellepelster.de and you will find it.

Somehow i could not build XBMC. It always broke on ./configure while checking for main in -lGl.

I also noticed that suspend/wakeup does not work.

I have the same problem on a natty server install with a gnome core gui. I follow the guides and get as far as this step and it fails everytime. I have read the readme for linux and ubuntu and installed all the packages that I need and I even ran the command that checks for the needed packages.

Anybody got a solution for this?
natto34 Wrote:I'm running Ubuntu natty 11.04, updated 2.6.39-generic kernel, latest xvba, libva1, libva-dev from SplittedD, and catalyst 11.5 ati driver. I kept having issues with mplayer -vo vaapi and xbmc crashing with vaapi enabled when I was logged into the default Ubuntu desktop. When I changed the desktop (at login) to Ubuntu Classic, viola, vaapi works! I'm not sure the exact reason for this incompatibility, but the issue is reproducible when I switch back to the standard Ubuntu desktop. This may partially explain a user's success with older versions of Ubuntu.

thats my problem too. My minimal ubuntu natty works fine so bar but vaapi crashes XBMC.

Same on Maverick works fine.

last lines of the crashlog:

Quote:12:38:52 T:2964949872 M:1484619776 DEBUG: CDVDPlayer::HandleMessages - player started 1
12:38:52 T:2914143088 M:1484492800 DEBUG: LinuxRendererGL: Cleaning up GL resources
12:38:52 T:2914143088 M:1484492800 NOTICE: running thread: video_thread
12:38:52 T:2914143088 M:1484492800 DEBUG: CDVDPlayerVideo - CDVDMsg::GENERAL_SYNCHRONIZE
12:38:52 T:2914143088 M:1484492800 DEBUG: VAAPI - attempting to open codec 28 with profile 100 at level 51 with 11 reference frames

############### END LOG FILE ################

############ END XBMC CRASH LOG #############
Anyone come across an issue where your AMD Fusion goes into "power saving" mode after a few hours of having it running. I turned off all power saving in bios. Mine just stays at 800 mhz and does not throttle.. even network performance and disk performance is effected. Any of my mkv's just buffer constantly. This is using the pre built xbmc live based image with vaapi. Any suggestions? Thanks
First of all, I want to thank Robotica for that guide. I followed all the related threads and that made me decide to enrol the adventure.
But...

I must say that that how-to does not work, at least for me.
Perhaps the cause its some updated natty build it appeared but the how-to brokens on step 2.

What I've done:
I prepared a stick with the last minimal 11.04 iso + required files + packages and xbmcs. I don't have a decent connection.
What a surprise when I realized the minimal ISO does not have the required files to make a running system. All day seeing the CLI downloading.

Then some weird things on result not booting without the stick still there.

Well, started to follow the guide until the install of libva-dev on step 2.
It throw some error saying there wasnt all dependencies present. Asked for two files (sorry that went up so long I can't remember)

EDIT: Where "pkg-config" and "libdrm-dev"

It asked for apt-get -f install, so I done. It installed something.

EDIT: "libva-x11-1" "libva-tpi1" "libva-glx1" all version 1.0.8-3

Then installed required deps.

Then tried back to install libva-dev, but there was another problem.
Said libva-deb depends on libva1 0.32.0-1+sds2 but installed was 1.0.8-3

*xvba-video specified installed successfully. I think that will bring me trouble.

I thought I installed something newer from the repositories accidentally and now I'm getting catalist through my 3g usb.

I'll tell you if that mess works right at the end, but in the while, can anyone tell me whats the problem?

Good night ZZZzzzzzz...
Sergio
I am having issues getting xbmc compilied with ubuntu server 11.04.
Can anyone help me out with it or perhaps give a good how to guide for newbs.
I tried hxxp://pellepelster.de/ guide but it seems to be missing steps. I tried it a few times same result.
I have fresh news on the progress.
I executed the following command to ensure the packages on step where correctly installed and the versions where the correct ones:

Code:
zcat -f /var/log/dpkg.log* | grep "\ install\ " | sort

All three where right.

After that tried to install the catalyst driver, but it throw another error:

Code:
Error: ./default_policy.sh does not support version

So I googled and found two useful things. If you want to use the version on this how-to, you must change the second step 3 command to:

Code:
sudo sh ati-driver-installer-11-3-x86.x86_64.run[b] --buildpkg Ubuntu/natty[/b]

But there's a new version. As I found, the 11-5 one. I installed 11-3 to make profit of the 73min the download took, but for others perhaps that 11-5 version is more straightforward.

EDIT: Seems that version 11-3 is installing some older core libraries in my freshly new ubuntu so I recommend, as Robotica stated and I forgot, the use of the newer catalyst version so the system stays consistent.

I think the official reps of natty already have newer versions for libva.

If anyone can tell me how to revert the catalyst installation among with its related libraries I'll be grateful. (not so expert in script installs)

Greetings,
Sergio
Could anyone *please* provide an updated ISO with the required patches, etc included?
I have downloaded the pre-built ISO but I am failing to install it to a new MSI E-350 board Sad

1.) unetbootin the ISO to usb-stick, cant install because it fails to "load installer components from CD"

2.) grabbed my oldschool usb2-external-dvd and did an install of the ISO from there. It runs fine, however after successfully "installing the system" in the debian installer, the choose-next-step wizard always pops up. When choosing install grub or finish the system install, the screen is *always* re-displayed and choosing any action always reinstalls the system, then the next-step-chooser is shown again. I can only stop that by choosing abort.
I would expect that the system is now completely installed nevertheless but booting from it fails with a blinking cursor as if GRUB was not installed.

Is there any expected date of release of XBMC 10.2 Live that already contains that Zacate-crap? I am tired of compiling and just want to use that box ... Huh
http://trac.xbmc.org/roadmap

I am pretty sure 11.0 (codename Eden) will enable VAAPI support by default.
jbo87 Wrote:http://trac.xbmc.org/roadmap

I am pretty sure 11.0 (codename Eden) will enable VAAPI support by default.

duno if they are ahead but it shows the fallowing:

Milestone: 11.0
Due in 7 months (12/30/11)
h0tzen Wrote:I would expect that the system is now completely installed nevertheless but booting from it fails with a blinking cursor as if GRUB was not installed.

That was the same I was suffering. Seems that my installation done everything right but it saved the boot record to the flash USB instead of the HD.
Perhaps yours its the same, but as you used a CD it wrote no boot record.

I managed to boot to the installed OS by leaving the USB plugged and choosing it during powerup with F8. It booted from USB and then jumped to HD. Then in the OS, unplugged USB, reinstalled GRUB, updated it and managed to get a Grub> command without the USB stick.
There I followed the official guide on GRUB2, to boot to OS and reinstalled and updated grub again.

It worked. It boots to tty7, but as there's no X started, you press ctrl-alt-f1 and go.

You may have to boot to a live and then install grub to your HD:
Code:
sudo grub-install /dev/sda
(your drive letter)

Or try to reinstall the OS, but without setting on bios the CD/USB as a hard disc or forced before your sda. Just press your bootmenu key (mines F8) during powerup and select the USB.

Good luck
Well I'm on a dead-end by now.
I managed to blank install the libraries and the last catalyst driver.
Also done the aticonfigure to populate the xorg.conf file, to me sees ok.

vainfo tells something like: unable to access to device (null)
fglrxinfo tells something like unable to access device ':0'

startx throws some errors initializing devices and then goes to a command line in graphical mode. If I try to stop it from the tty, can't stop xserver and freezes.

aticonfig --list-adapters shows:

Code:
* 0. 00:01.0 ATI Radeon HD 6300 Series

* - Default adapter

Can anyone give me a hand on this. It all seems Ok, but doesn't work.

Thanks
Sergio
Thanks for the roadmap-information. I just installed Ubuntu 11 and cloned the xbmc git-sources and then installed the dpkgs from splitted-desktop, then compiled xbmc with vdpau and vaapi support. that's it, no other patches or vodoo.

When using vdpau support (via xbmc's settings page) the movie plays fine with about 100% cpu (which is about 50% on each core of the E-350 CPU; is this already too much?)

When choosing vaapi and playing a movie, xbmc crashes with the following:

Code:
16:29:08 T:140600885794560 M:2999230464  NOTICE: running thread: video_thread
16:29:08 T:140600885794560 M:2999230464   DEBUG: CDVDPlayerVideo - CDVDMsg::GENERAL_SYNCHRONIZE
16:29:08 T:140600885794560 M:2999230464   DEBUG: CDVDPlayerVideo - CDVDMsg::GENERAL_RESYNC(607941000.000000, 1)
16:29:08 T:140600885794560 M:2999230464    INFO: CDVDPlayerVideo - Stillframe left, switching to normal playback
16:29:08 T:140600885794560 M:2999230464   DEBUG: VAAPI - attempting to open codec 28 with profile 100 at level 41 with 5 reference frames

vainfo displays this:
Code:
libva: libva version 0.32.0-sds2
Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva: Trying to open /usr/lib/va/drivers/fglrx_drv_video.so
libva: va_openDriver() returns 0
vainfo: VA API version: 0.32
vainfo: Driver version: Splitted-Desktop Systems XvBA backend for VA-API - 0.7.8
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
      VAProfileH264High               :    VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Advanced            :    VAEntrypointVLD

Are there any patches that must be installed?
As stated above, I only did a git clone and dpkg -i of the splitted-desktop packages...

Thanks!
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO use VAAPI HW Acceleration on AMD Zacate (Fusion) platform14