Video shutter on Zotac GT210
u dont have to mess with the Hz refresh rate unless like me, u have issues
like described by maxinc in his 1st post...
Yea well I hope I won't get such issues cause I really don't want to change from 200Hz to 60Hz :S
Choque Wrote:Yea well I hope I won't get such issues cause I really don't want to change from 200Hz to 60Hz :S

which GPU your on?
Going to buy the EVGA GT430 like I posted in my thread
because 1 thing i had in mind before was,
ok moving from 120Hz to 60Hz did 'fixed' my issue but,
i wonder if the GT210 is the culprit when coupled with an 120HZ LCD HDTV...
and that, i'll never know till i swap my GT210 for a GT430...
:/
Just to be clear, Motion Plus 100, 200, 240Hz etc. (or whatever they're called by different manufacturers) is a LCD refresh technology designed to reduces the ghosting effect on fast moving images which LCD technology inherently suffers from. It is mostly a marketing gimmick and does more harm than good and for this reason it should be disabled, especially when watching movies.

It is however different from the TV's video refresh rate which is also different from the movie's frame rate. Movies are usually shot at 24 frames per second while TV shows are commonly found at 29.97fps for most S shows. Most TV's operate on default at 60Hz in the US and 50Hz in Europe.

Depending on the movie source and the TV location, a certain amount of conversion is required which will inevitably introduce a tiny bit of shuttering depending on the devices involved in the process.

My problem however is not related to this normal phenomena which I can easily recognise and accept. It is more intense and random, sometimes the image seem to freeze for 1/3 second and then quickly accelerates to catchup. No artefacts, sounds is good at all times.

I might have to try a fresh XBMC install in case I messed something up but I'm not looking forward to dedicate another day customising it all up and I'm hopping someone might give a clue as to what could be the cause of this.

@poofy ... with VDPAU disabled I have lots of dropped frames on high bit rate files and all the shutter associated with them. I rechecked the CPU load with VDPAU Enables is actually 1-2% and with VDPAU disabled 45-78%.
XBMC Live: i3 530 / GT210 / 2GB / SSD + 2 x Zotac HD01 / 2GB / SSD
unRAID Pro: 6 x 1TB + 2 x 1.5TB + 2 x 2TB + 2 x 500G over GbE
HP Micro Server: SABnzbd+, Sickbeard, Couchpotato, uTorrent, Media Companion, MySQL, MKV Toolnix
well your the boss maxinc...

i told u what i did to make it work cause i had this exact same problem,,,,

and i told u what i wanted u to try,,,

even tho it soundz weird to you, u should try what i suggested,,,
eskro Wrote:well your the boss maxinc...

i told u what i did to make it work cause i had this exact same problem,,,,

and i told u what i wanted u to try,,,

even tho it soundz weird to you, u should try what i suggested,,,

And you should try and read my replies because I already told you twice that I did what you sugested with no effect.
HP Micro Server: SABnzbd+, Sickbeard, Couchpotato, uTorrent, Media Companion, MySQL, MKV Toolnix
maxinc Wrote:Just to be clear, Motion Plus 100, 200, 240Hz etc. (or whatever they're called by different manufacturers) is a LCD refresh technology designed to reduces the ghosting effect on fast moving images which LCD technology inherently suffers from. It is mostly a marketing gimmick and does more harm than good and for this reason it should be disabled, especially when watching movies.

It is however different from the TV's video refresh rate which is also different from the movie's frame rate. Movies are usually shot at 24 frames per second while TV shows are commonly found at 29.97fps for most S shows. Most TV's operate on default at 60Hz in the US and 50Hz in Europe.

Depending on the movie source and the TV location, a certain amount of conversion is required which will inevitably introduce a tiny bit of shuttering depending on the devices involved in the process.

[offtopic]
Yes, good ole 3:2 pulldown. But its not completely unrelated to Motion Plus, or whatever other brand name a TV puts on frame interpolation. The entire effect comes from fabricating the missing frames between 24p and 60hz using the existing frames as a reference. In a way it is pretty much just basically frame scaling. Hence the "soap opera effect"- because most soap operas are filmed with cheaper consumer-ish cameras that use a 30fps standard.
[/offtopic]

What matters most is if your TV is rigged to accept a 24p signal. Even on 24hz TVs often this has to be turned on- and you can't just go by what it "tells you" on the display as often it tells you what the source is not what you are doing with it. On my Samsung plasma this mode is called "Cinema Smooth." Most 120hz Samsung LCDs accept a 24p source by default (hence the 24hz).

So I am assuming that is working.

Quote:My problem however is not related to this normal phenomena which I can easily recognise and accept. It is more intense and random, sometimes the image seem to freeze for 1/3 second and then quickly accelerates to catchup. No artefacts, sounds is good at all times.

So it is not 24 judder, when the picture "breaks" on occasion? And it happens across all sources (even 480p content if you have any)?

And you have tried local playback to rule out ethernet issues?

If so, maybe something deeper is going on. Don't reinstall yet.

I don't know how have I missed this but now looking at the fps indicator during playback is all over the place. It bounces from 19-20 to 27-29fps during shuttering, especially on slow panoramic sequences. Any idea what might cause this kind of behaviour?

Still have to copy a file locally to try and rule out the network.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video shutter on Zotac GT2100