2 questions (related to screensaver and dxva2)
Hi folks,

I recently updated to Dharma 10.1 and i'm having some issues...

1. First of all, my screensaver is no longer working. It is setup in the confluence skin but it just doesn't turn on after the configured idle time. Anyone know what could be causing this? or have an idea how to get it working again ? My xbmc is running in true fullscreen mode. Could that cause it ?

2. After the upgrade i noticed i had a new option to allow DXVA2 decoding for video playback. If i have this enabled, i've noticed that playing 1080p content will abruptly halt for a second and than resume. It seems to happen about every 5-10 minutes, but the strange thing is that when i see it occur, i can skip back to that time in the video, and it will halt on the exact same spot again. I know this would make one think that maybe it's an issue with the video encoding in the file itself, but i've tried many different 1080p mkv's and they all do this. If i disable the DXVA2 decoding, my videos play just fine, smooth playback, no halting. I would have thought that playing with DXVA2 would only improve my playback since it is supposed to be using the GPU rather than all CPU. My system is running an Intel Core i3 and using on-die gpu with 4GB ram. Anyone have any ideas about this ? I'm happy to just keep this feature disabled but would like to know why it is happening. Does DXVA2 not work well with on-die core i3 gpu's ?

Thanx very much.

-DaViS
chickendavis Wrote:Hi folks,

I recently updated to Dharma 10.1 and i'm having some issues...

1. First of all, my screensaver is no longer working. It is setup in the confluence skin but it just doesn't turn on after the configured idle time. Anyone know what could be causing this? or have an idea how to get it working again ? My xbmc is running in true fullscreen mode. Could that cause it ?

2. After the upgrade i noticed i had a new option to allow DXVA2 decoding for video playback. If i have this enabled, i've noticed that playing 1080p content will abruptly halt for a second and than resume. It seems to happen about every 5-10 minutes, but the strange thing is that when i see it occur, i can skip back to that time in the video, and it will halt on the exact same spot again. I know this would make one think that maybe it's an issue with the video encoding in the file itself, but i've tried many different 1080p mkv's and they all do this. If i disable the DXVA2 decoding, my videos play just fine, smooth playback, no halting. I would have thought that playing with DXVA2 would only improve my playback since it is supposed to be using the GPU rather than all CPU. My system is running an Intel Core i3 and using on-die gpu with 4GB ram. Anyone have any ideas about this ? I'm happy to just keep this feature disabled but would like to know why it is happening. Does DXVA2 not work well with on-die core i3 gpu's ?

Thanx very much.

-DaViS

I get the exact opposite effect :p, after I upgraded all my stations to dharma 10.1 including a station with an intel i3 cpu in it, my 1080P .mkv movies played choppy, I then enabled DXVA2 hardware acceleration and now they play smooth as ice, the option works like it should.

Is your GPU a nvidia series 8800 or above series which supports DXVA2? my station specs are in my sig below for comparison.

TC
Loft - Intel I5-3570K, Asus P8Z77-LX, Corsair 16GB DDR3, AMD HD 7700, AOC 27" LCD
Bedroom - Intel I3-530, Intel DH55HC, Corsair 4GB DDR3, Nvidia G610, Samsung 37" HDTV
Living Room - Intel E8400, Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia G610, Samsung 52" HDTV
tcman47 Wrote:I get the exact opposite effect :p, after I upgraded all my stations to dharma 10.1 including a station with an intel i3 cpu in it, my 1080P .mkv movies played choppy, I then enabled DXVA2 hardware acceleration and now they play smooth as ice, the option works like it should.

Is your GPU a nvidia series 8800 or above series which supports DXVA2? my station specs are in my sig below for comparison.

TC

In my case, I'm not using a separate gpu. I'm using the gpu that is built into the Intel Core i3 cpu. Are you saying you're using the dxva2 with an nvidia card ? or with the on-die core i3 gpu ?
chickendavis Wrote:In my case, I'm not using a separate gpu. I'm using the gpu that is built into the Intel Core i3 cpu. Are you saying you're using the dxva2 with an nvidia card ? or with the on-die core i3 gpu ?

In the case of the intel i3 station I am using the intel HD video, I thought it was a motherboard chip but maybe it is built into the i3 cpu, kind of the same thing I guess, never thought about it.
Loft - Intel I5-3570K, Asus P8Z77-LX, Corsair 16GB DDR3, AMD HD 7700, AOC 27" LCD
Bedroom - Intel I3-530, Intel DH55HC, Corsair 4GB DDR3, Nvidia G610, Samsung 37" HDTV
Living Room - Intel E8400, Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia G610, Samsung 52" HDTV
tcman47 Wrote:In the case of the intel i3 station I am using the intel HD video, I thought it was a motherboard chip but maybe it is built into the i3 cpu, kind of the same thing I guess, never thought about it.

It is indeed built into the cpu. You have to use a mobo that supports the onchip gpu's of course, in order to take advantage of it. Otherwise, you can use a third party pci-e gpu card.

So in your case the dxva2 works as expected. Not sure what is going on for me but maybe someone out there has some ideas...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2 questions (related to screensaver and dxva2)0