Transferring libraries
I have my xbmc library set up on my desktop and I would like to have a second set up on my laptop. I have copied the media to a portable hard drive for my laptop. I spent a long time setting all the artwork for the desktop's library. Is there a way to import the library so it is the same on the laptop?

I tried the export / import library function and it imports the library but I can't play the movies because (I guess) the path is wrong.

Maybe there is another way to do it? Oo

Thanks.
Hi ripaddict,

You have a couple of options. You could simply just copy ~/Library/Application Support/XBMC directory over to the laptop as one option. Another would be to setup dropbox on both your desktop and laptop computers. This will allow you to sync your XBMC library automatically. I use dropbox to sync my XBMC library between by MacMini, iMac and Macbook Pro. If I make a change to the library (e.g. add a movie, update the art work, etc.). Then all machines get the changes automatically. What I do is place the ~/Library/Application Support/XBMC in dropbox and create a symbolic link to it on each machine. Hope this helps.

By the way, I would suggest that you update your signature so that everyone has some idea about your equipment and software being used.
Kodi 17, Transparency Skin
PogoPlug v4 running Arm Linux 4.4.63 as MySQL (mariadb) server.
Mac OS 10.12.5
2015 27" iMac 3.3 GHz Quad, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
2015 13" Macbook Pro, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD
AppleTV 4 TV OS 10
This sounds like the solution. Thank you.
Winestock, I tried copying the ~/Library/Application Support/XBMC folder to the other computer and everything looked great when I opened it up (the library and artwork were there) but the movies would not play. Because the link was still pulling from the from source A, I assume. I updated the link to source B which have the same movies on it and it still did not work.

If I can get this to work and I decide to use Dropbox then my next question is how do you set up "symbolic links" as you stated above?

Thanks for your help.
ripaddict,

Part of the problem you might be experience is the path to where your movies are stored. Make sure the computer where the movies are stored has file sharing turned on. Also, you may need to mount the movies drives on the other computers.

To create the symbolic link:

First, start /Applications/Utilities/Terminal. In the terminal window:

Code:
cd "~/Library/Application Support"
    ln -s "<XBMC dropbox dir>" XBMC

Replace <XBMC dropbox dir> with the directory path where you stored the XBMC directory under the dropbox directory. Quotes may not be necessary if the path to the dropbox directory does not contain an spaces. This also assumes that you have moved (not copied) the XMBC directory from "~/Library/Application Support" to the dropbox directory. Hope this helps.
Kodi 17, Transparency Skin
PogoPlug v4 running Arm Linux 4.4.63 as MySQL (mariadb) server.
Mac OS 10.12.5
2015 27" iMac 3.3 GHz Quad, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
2015 13" Macbook Pro, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD
AppleTV 4 TV OS 10

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Transferring libraries0