• 5(current)
[WIP] Metropolis skin
Amra Wrote:Thanks sialivi. Just Googled some reviews of the program & it sounds like just what I need. I'll try it out tonight.

Thanks! And, nothing like a little pressure now. Big Grin

No pressure, hell I'm just glad to see this didn't go the way of a lot of other "WIP"'s and die.Smile
Nothing to see here....
I uploaded a couple preview videos. First time I've done that so view at your own risk. Laugh

TV Show viewtypes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0cyzsMNSLs

Movie viewtypes & preview of the Video OSD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRcWdiwaF-4

Obviously, since this is based off of Alaska Revisited, a few of the views have carried forward with only minor changes. Most notably the Coverflow, Landscape & Logo views. As mentioned previously, thanks to Hitcher for all his hard work in the XBMC community.
Fantastic. This looks really good man!!! I belive a alpha is in orderWink
espengaasemyr Wrote:Fantastic. This looks really good man!!! I belive a alpha is in orderWink

lol no harm in trying hey Rolleyes
Major kudos to you man. The skin really looks amazing. The textures you got going on look so nice. Overall look of it all is smooth and elegant. Great implementation of putting your ideas to Alaska's views.

Since it's still WIP I'll refrain from requests, suggestions, etc and let you do your work as you see fit. Just really wanted to thank you for taking the time to make those preview videos, seeing it in action was 1000x better than screen shots Smile

P.S.
Solid choice in the soundtracks. First one got me wanting to watch Sucker Punch again
Nice textures. Really original. Don't know about using that animation on everything that moves, though. I would lose the animation on the buttons in videoinfo for example.
The overall look is really nice, I wish I could design graphics like that.
This is one of thise skins I am looking forward to trying out. Great work on graphics and view styles. You have done an excellent job.

One suggestion would be to lose the clear dvd case used on some views and the osd. Stick with your black border, since it fits your overall design much better and keeps your look consistant.
Even though I had very high expectations, the video previews were even better Smile
Love that you've managed to squeeze in both posters and fanart in so many views, and a love the use of both fanart plus posters on the sides in the fanart view.

But I agree with ekim232, the clear cases needs to go. Your own borders look much more classy.

The alpha can't come fast enough.

How was Afterburner? Any pros/cons?
espengaasemyr Wrote:Fantastic. This looks really good man!!! I belive a alpha is in orderWink
Thanks but it's still going to be a little while yet on an Alpha, but as Jezz_X said, no harm in trying. Big Grin

rygrath Wrote:Major kudos to you man. The skin really looks amazing. The textures you got going on look so nice. Overall look of it all is smooth and elegant. Great implementation of putting your ideas to Alaska's views.

Since it's still WIP I'll refrain from requests, suggestions, etc and let you do your work as you see fit. Just really wanted to thank you for taking the time to make those preview videos, seeing it in action was 1000x better than screen shots Smile

P.S.
Solid choice in the soundtracks. First one got me wanting to watch Sucker Punch again
Thank you also. And thanks to sialivi for pointing me to the Afterburner software, worked like a charm... and it was free! Now I have a desire to rewatch Sucker Punch even though I agree with a lot of the critics that you either love it or hate it, there is no middle ground.

Big_Noid Wrote:Nice textures. Really original. Don't know about using that animation on everything that moves, though. I would lose the animation on the buttons in videoinfo for example.
The overall look is really nice, I wish I could design graphics like that.
I wish I could take credit for all the textures I am using but, to be honest, I found most on the web including the cool background or I have borrowed a few pieces here & there from other skins. Some of the graphics I have done, though.

ekim232 Wrote:This is one of thise skins I am looking forward to trying out. Great work on graphics and view styles. You have done an excellent job.

One suggestion would be to lose the clear dvd case used on some views and the osd. Stick with your black border, since it fits your overall design much better and keeps your look consistant.
Yeah, I have gone back & forth with that in my head to no end. I put the clear cases in on a few views thinking that a little variety might be nice but I've never actually coded up the views using the classic border to see what they would look like. Now, both you & sialivi got me thinking again so I guess I know what I'm doing next. Eek

sialivi Wrote:Even though I had very high expectations, the video previews were even better Smile
Love that you've managed to squeeze in both posters and fanart in so many views, and a love the use of both fanart plus posters on the sides in the fanart view.

But I agree with ekim232, the clear cases needs to go. Your own borders look much more classy.

The alpha can't come fast enough.

How was Afterburner? Any pros/cons?
Thanks for the help, Afterburner was great at capturing the video (very similar to Fraps) but for some reason it would not capture any sound on my computer. I couldn't figure out why so I just added sound with VirtualDub (another great program). I'm glad everyone is liking Metropolis so far and I will be taking another look at the Classic vs Clear cases in the next few days. I'll post a comparison image when I can.

thanks again for all the kind words & encouragement everyone. Big Grin
Amra Wrote:Thanks for the help, Afterburner was great at capturing the video (very similar to Fraps) but for some reason it would not capture any sound on my computer. I couldn't figure out why so I just added sound with VirtualDub (another great program).

Did you use the beta version? I think audio capture is only in the beta version (available to download on the same webpage)
Holy macaroni!!! The skin's shaping up hella nice!!! Everything looks so polished. And the animations IMO is a great touch. To bad ur not supporting the nightly builds with the initial release. Sad Hope u add support soon. Real soon.
Wuav! Really nice! And nice to see some in-action footage. I can agree with the other comments, classic border and few less animations as big_noid suggested, or at least more subtle animations, ie on the low list view when navigating. But that's just my opinion, you seem to be very creative in your skin, so who am I to question your decisions :p

Keep it up Big Grin
Wow, so far I am really impressed with how this skin is looking. I am really eager to try it out. It looks like a lot of attention has been put in every detail. Lovely.
this could really end up being the skin I use Big Grin
Thanks everyone. I'm glad that other XBMC users have interest in Metropolis. Sorry about it not being available for Eden initially but I'm wary of messing up my HTPC at this point, at least until Eden is a lot closer to release. I currently use OpenELEC with Dharma and everything just runs perfectly right now, no problems whatsoever. I want to at least get this skin a lot farther along before playing with Eden. It will eventually be Eden compatible, though.

Regarding the animations, I'm going to play around with different ones at some point to see what the skin looks like. I'll also look at some other skins to see what is being used on them. To be honest, though, when I am using it I tend not to notice the bounce that much.

@sialivi
Yes, I tried the latest beta (v2.20 beta 5) and double checked that I had all the options set right but no luck on the sound. It could be something with my old main computer's hardware. Either way, it's still a great program for the price. Thanks again. Smile
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WIP] Metropolis skin5