Tips on new weather radar plugin (image, slideshow or video?)
I'm just starting my first XBMC plugin which will - with any luck and a bit of graft - pull accurate data from the Australian Beaurea of Meteorology....as weather.com data for downunder is sucky.

The first stage is a basic plugin to pull the rader image loops. Basically, this is a group of cycled images, say 4 of them 15 minutes apart to make a little radar loop.

The images can be pulled from the BOM site via FTP/HTTP as PNG images. They need to be overlayed to construct the final full rafar image (basically map + radar + range guides + whatever). This can be done via urllib to pull and the PIL library to do the merging...doesn't look too crazy.

This will give me 4 finished PNG images I want to loop and display to the user.

My question is this
- is the best way to somehow build a movie out of these 4 images to make a loop, or would it be better to trigger a slideshow or something? Basically, how do I get these 4 PNGs into something animated and on screen - either full screen or a window, doesn't matter for now.

This is the very first part of what I hope to make a quite comprehensive weather plugin eventually...but I just need a basic proof of concept to myself that I can get this going.
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
Hey bossanova808,

Us Australians desperately need a weather scrapper that will get the data from BOM.

It would be great if you could build an add-on for this.
I’m not a developer so I can’t give you any advice on how to get the radar maps to display, but I thought I would give you some encouragement.

If possible, even having the temperature accurate would be sweet, maybe release the first version of the add-on without radar maps?

Keep up the good work.
I got stuck - I don't have much time and the XBMC documentation is a quagmire of out of date rubbish, so I really didn't get as far as I'd hoped. I plan to get something working outside of XBMC first, in terms of just pulling the images, and then use the XBMC slideshow to show a radar map loop as a first run at it. But for someone new to XBMC addons/python it's not easy - normally I can jsut pick up and run with this sort of thing but I really haven't encountered such a mess of (& lack of) good docs for something like this before....

I should find a similar add on and rip it apart, I guess. But I suspect I'd run into problems quickly and without docs to fall back on....
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Tips on new weather radar plugin (image, slideshow or video?)0