Wifi
Hi everyone.

I have a simple question, and probably stupid too.
I have a MacBook Pro, a wifi-router and a Samsung LED-tv. I wonder if it is possible to get XBMC, as it shows on the computer with its nice skins, on the tv-screen wirelessly. Via cable it can be done, but can it be done over wifi?

Thanks
AFAIK no it can't. Even if it could there will probably be a large drop in picture quality since even the original HDMI cables run up to 2.25Gbps and the HiSpeed ones run up to 10.2Gbps which is nowhere near what wifi can currently achieve. You can run HDMI over CAT5/6 cable using an 'HDMI Balun'... just thought it might be a useful alternative.Smile
Server: HP ProLiant MicroServer with WHS2011 with 8.4TB
HTPC: Wesena ITX6B, ASUS E35M1-I Deluxe, picoPSU+Brick, BlackGold BGT3620, 64GB RealSSD C300, 4GB RAM
AV Setup: Denon AVR-1909, Denon DVD-1800BD, Panasonic TX-P50VT30B, Mordant-Short Alumni 7.1 Speakers
Yeah this probably can't be done over the router or anything, but I think they have "wireless hdmi" solutions now for a couple hundred bucks or so.... might be bulky and non-portable however.
Baraldi Wrote:Hi everyone.

I have a simple question, and probably stupid too.
I have a MacBook Pro, a wifi-router and a Samsung LED-tv. I wonder if it is possible to get XBMC, as it shows on the computer with its nice skins, on the tv-screen wirelessly. Via cable it can be done, but can it be done over wifi?

Thanks

There's no easy way, you'd need to have something on the laptop to go from minidisplayport (or something with a minidisplayport adapter, i.e. VGA/DVI/etc) over wifi then something on the tv to go from wifi to VGA/HDMI. Not easy to find, likely won't be cheap and may not work very well.

A better approach, is leave the video on the MBP, buy an atv2 (refurbs are available for $85), jailbreak and install XBMC, then plug it into the TV and use it to watch video from the MBP via an SMB connection over wifi. The atv2 can be a wifi client too but it works better if you can plugin to your router directly.
I´m going to check out the wireless hdmi-thing. For now I´m thinking of a wired solution but nice looking. Immagine a shelf of oaktree next to the tv and on it this http://www.twelvesouth.com/products/bookarc/ connected to the receiver by hidden cables.
Nice!
Baraldi Wrote:I´m going to check out the wireless hdmi-thing. For now I´m thinking of a wired solution but nice looking. Immagine a shelf of oaktree next to the tv and on it this http://www.twelvesouth.com/products/bookarc/ connected to the receiver by hidden cables.
Nice!

The wireless video stuff all looks interesting but the technology hasn't settled yet. Still several competing against each other at the moment so maybe not the best time to invest.

There's a good summary here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_HDMI that lists the competing standards, i.e. WirelessHD, WHDI, and WGA. I'd still stick with a dedicated device plugged into the TV... something other than a laptop because I won't want to leave the laptop plugged in all the time... like to surf and watch TV... atv2 was the best combo of size/price/noise/efficiency I could find... YMMV. That being said, there are some wireless video products that look decent but man what a mess of wires and devices you get into if the tech isn't built into your laptop and/or TV.

http://www.amazon.com/WiCast-EW2000-Wire...im_sbs_e_1
Hi jd.
Exactly my position. Done some research and there are a few alternatives but they are quite expensive. Found one that was cheap, ezairwireless, but their version that I liked wasn´t compatible with Mac yet. They said that it probably would be by the end of the summer. So I will go with the wired solution for now and wait until the market settles and then go with wireless HDMI.
theoretically possibly.
i have 2 acer revo's (5'' x 5'' x 2'')
one upstairs running fedora and one downstairs running xbmc-live (hdmi to tv) -- both connected to my wi-fi router.

my plan is to get a co-ax to usb hd adapter for the one upstairs (since the digital crossover, my tv upstairs is useless). if the fedora machine is fast enough it can transcode the tv signal so that the xbmc machine can play it thru sshfs.

not very practical but mite be useful for relatively small and cheap equipment.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Wifi0