No option for portable install while installing XBMC 10.1
Question 
Hi,

I have recently started using XBMC on Windows Vista. I was using version 9.11 earlier & it provided me option to install it as portable app.
While upgrading it to version 10.1, I noticed that it didn't have option to install as portable app. As a result it installed in normal way and didn't pick up already scanned library.(scanned data was in same folder as that of xbmc).

Is it happening just to me, or has portable app option has been removed in latest release? I tried searching for the same but couldn't find anything about it.
Is there any way we can achieve this?

Thanks.
The portable option was removed because it caused confusion for beginners.
Advanced and smart people have a look in the wiki to add it manually http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_for_Win...le_mode.3F Wink
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Thanks for the quick reply WiSo.
I tried specifying -p switch while starting xbmc. But still it's still not reading my library. Is there any way to confirm that it has started in portable mode?
Question 
Oops... I guess xbmc has indeed started in portable mode but the installation has wiped out my portable data folder Sad

I can see a portable data folder inside XBMC folder but it contains little data. Only thing it has persisted between installations is my favorites list.
Dharma moved the location of the portable data folder from "C:\Program Files\XBMC\userdata" to "C:\Program Files\XBMC\portable_data\userdata". If you were using portable mode with v9.11 you will need to manually move your data.

JR
Yeah... It works.. Thanks a lot for the reply...
I want to install a second XBMC beside my current one, but since there is no portable option in installer I guess it will overwrite my current XBMC before I can add the "-p" to the finished installation.

How do I install a second XBMC in portable mode without overwriting my current one?
frellAn Wrote:I want to install a second XBMC beside my current one, but since there is no portable option in installer I guess it will overwrite my current XBMC before I can add the "-p" to the finished installation.

How do I install a second XBMC in portable mode without overwriting my current one?

Install it to a different folder and chose to not create shortcuts, then create a shortcut to that xbmc.exe with -p.
0wing Wrote:Install it to a different folder and chose to not create shortcuts, then create a shortcut to that xbmc.exe with -p.

Would it not still overwrite the things in my AppData folder?
frellAn Wrote:Would it not still overwrite the things in my AppData folder?

The install will not tamper with your %APPDATA%\XBMC folder. This folder is only used when XBMC is run. As long as you run the new installation in portable mode it will not mess with the %APPDATA%\XBMC folder either. However it's obviously a good idea to backup the folder, since it's easy to accidentally run the new installation in non-portable mode (I have done this myself :-).

JR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No option for portable install while installing XBMC 10.10