Cooling problems Asrock 330
Hi,

My Asrock 330 has been working flawlessly with XBMC for the past year, but suddenly a couple of weeks ago it started getting extremely hot. The problem is that when the ION chipset hits a certain temperature, 1080p playback is degraded and I don't get more than 10-12 fps. I let it cool it down for a while and then again I get about 20-30 mins of smooth 1080p playback.

I opened up the case and the ION heatsink was indeed almost burning.
I've taken cleaned the dust, checked the fans and built in a 3rd fan for the ION heatsink (25x25mm).

I am running out of ideas in order to get more than 30 mins of HD playback as I had before. I am considering changing the case, but that would probably be the last solution, if nothing else works.

Did anyone have similar problems? A solution for this?
If anyone changed the case, could you recommend an ITX compatible case?

Thanks for your help!
What fan speed have you set it on? I have mine set to ultra silent and over clocked
To 2GHz and runs very well, though i did replace the stock cpu fan with a titan fan and used arctic silver compound for all heat sinks. I assume theres good airflow over the heatsinks?
XBMC Frodo 12 - Windows 7 - Asrock Ion 330HT - Aeon Nox
Fan speed is set to normal and it's not overclocked...
The case is closed when I use it so I guess the airflow is ok, but not the best...

The strange thing is that the problem started a couple of weeks ago, while it worked perfectly for months. On top of that I live in Norway, so it's not like it's extremely warm here either...
Are you sure your fan is spinning? As well I would make sure like the poster up above and reseat your heat syncs because something doesn't sound right.
Hi,

Yes, I've opened the case checked the fans, everything was working. I even added a 25x25mm fan on the GPU heatsink, which didn't seem to help regarding my problem.

I'll check the BIOS settings again and add artic silver, hoping it does help a bit... Strange problem though.
If the heatsinks are getting to high temperatures, then reseating them may not going to solve the issue. My suggestion is to turn off the computer (but leave it plugged in for grounding), open it up and give it a good vacuum, including the fans. It's a good idea to prevent the fans from spinning when you do them, otherwise you could kill something.
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cooling problems Asrock 3300