[ATV2] 25fps video judder
Hi there, LTRFTW, and I was compelled to post here as I have searched a lot and read through many threads extensively and haven't found more than a passing comment on this issue. (From this thread here)

Quote:Looking at the media info you posted, at first glance, it looks like it should play fine. But the problem may be with the framerate. It shows 25fps and I've seen some other posts where people have been having some problems with content that is not 24fps or 30fps.

Do any other users experience any problems with 25fps content?

A bit of backround on this.

I've been a user of XMBC for a number of years, though up until recently I have only used it on the original Xbox. Lack of HD however made me decide on the Apple TV 2 which seemed like a good cheap solution since I was already very comfortable with XBMC.

I'm running IOS 4.2.1 and I had no problem getting XBMC installed, used the greenpoison method and installed via nitotv. I have since updated to the latest nightly as i was having some problems with scanning of m4a files, which has been fixed in the latest nightly thankfully.

Now I have been very lucky and don't seem to be experiencing many of the common problems, such as buffering issues over SMB, or sound issues or anything like that. Apart form the occasional crash and some thumbnail problems (which i am going to make a seperate thread for) it is working great. The one major exception to this is 25fps content.

23.976fps or 24fps is smooth always, and looks great and I am very pleased with the quality even on SD. Being a user from the UK though, i do have a lot of PAL content (25fps) and every video running at 25fps without exception, be it Standard Def xvid/divx or 720p/1080p h264, is a VERY juddery affair.

It does so it seems, play at the correct speed and no frames are actually dropped according to the OSD, and the audio itself is fine and appears to be the correct speed.

It's just VERY noticebly juddery almost as if some frames are ahead of where they should be. This is especially noticeble when the camera switches quickly from one view to another and it's as if after a couple of frames into the new scene, the old scene is displayed, almost like a ghost image. This is very offputing.

Now I have double checked and 'Sync Playback to Display' is off, and if I try to enable it the videos are even worse and some do not even play. This however I don't think is root of the problem

Now I do realise that the ATV2 runs at 60hz and that my TV is outputting 60hz also and 25fps will never be 'perfect' but this is not the issue I am having.

I know this is not the issue as on my original Xbox, 25fps files play perfectly fine running (upscaled) at 720p with 60hz output over component. On the same tv the exact same files play fine at the same settings. These files are definately running at 25fps on the original xbox also, though I know there is an option to run PAL videos at NTSC rates on the original xbox, I do notuse this.

So why are these files playing so poorly, and why has no one else mentioned this issue in more detail, as for me, and I'm sure for many others it makes shows unwatchable. Sad

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ATV2] 25fps video judder0