Atv2 Joining Mac network - VPN
The purpose here to use the XBMC on Atv2 with hotspot shield. I am wondering if anyone has tried having the Mac running hotspot shield and then having XBMC on Atv2 using internet sharing on the Mac.

Am in oz and I find that a lot more videos run when I enable the hotspot shield on the mac.

Thanks.
Macmini Server 2011 i7 Quad Core, OS 10.8.2, Amp Onkyo TX-SR308 USB WD drives 3x2TB TV Samsung Plasma 720p EyeTV Integration
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

activate Wrote:The purpose here to use the XBMC on Atv2 with hotspot shield. I am wondering if anyone has tried having the Mac running hotspot shield and then having XBMC on Atv2 using internet sharing on the Mac.

Am in oz and I find that a lot more videos run when I enable the hotspot shield on the mac.

Thanks.

I've never used 'hotspot shield' but I recommend if you need to run your ATV2 thru something, you probably should find something that supports an HTTP Proxy.

If you're unfamiliar with proxies here's a wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_server

These are natively supported in XBMC:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Network_Settings

Otherwise, you can try to use a 'transparent proxy' which is what hotspot shield might use, but who knows about its effectiveness that way.
Thanks Kieth, it makes sense. I was heading that way because hotspot shield seemed to do the job on the mac and also I saw it availalbe for the previous atv. I'll have a look at the link and see if there is a good proxy available, certainly a preferable option if it works.
Macmini Server 2011 i7 Quad Core, OS 10.8.2, Amp Onkyo TX-SR308 USB WD drives 3x2TB TV Samsung Plasma 720p EyeTV Integration
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Okidoki, read some of the stuff you've indicated. There are a host of offerred free proxies for the US for example. I can try them to see how effective they are.

As you've said that hotspot shield is a transparent proxy, can I then also try inputing the vpn details in the proxy settings in xbmc.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Atv2 Joining Mac network - VPN0